Snooker on a 9' Gold Crown

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Nice table jviss... Because of the tight distance between the black and the 15 reds on a 9' I usually play using 6 reds.
All colors are placed close to what you show in the pictures but the bottom 9 reds are removed from the racked balls.

Edit: Click the GAMES link in my signature below, then hit the SIX REDS link. Play for 75 points instead of 147 points.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice table jviss... Because of the tight distance between the black and the 15 reds on a 9' I usually play using 6 reds.
All colors are placed close to what you show in the pictures but the bottom 9 reds are removed from the racked balls.

Edit: Click the GAMES link in my signature below, then hit the SIX REDS link. Play for 75 points instead of 147 points.

Thanks RK. I was thinking of trying 10 reds, which I had heard of elsewhere. Six might work, too.

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
Be careful- you might have so much fun playing that you sell the GC and get an actual snooker table (I did!).

I started playing snooker on my pool table just like this, even had grey cloth like yours! 15 reds is challenging and very congested. 10 reds is a bit better.

I almost made a 147 with fifteen reds but missed the brown :mad:. Here’s a vid of a practice session with 10 reds:
https://youtu.be/yeTG_EQNa2I

Have fun!!

PS in my experience this is not a good approximation of playing snooker on a real snooker table, but it is still enjoyable for sure!

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful- you might have so much fun playing that you sell the GC and get an actual snooker table (I did!).

I started playing snooker on my pool table just like this, even had grey cloth like yours! 15 reds is challenging and very congested. 10 reds is a bit better.

I almost made a 147 with fifteen reds but missed the brown :mad:. Here’s a vid of a practice session with 10 reds:
https://youtu.be/yeTG_EQNa2I

Have fun!!

PS in my experience this is not a good approximation of playing snooker on a real snooker table, but it is still enjoyable for sure!

Yes! We had a wonderful time Sunday, with a father's day brunch and two of my four adult kids in company. We played eight ball for a while, and then I refereed a snooker game between my kids. My daughter said she enjoyed snooker more than 'pool!' We played with the fifteen reds, as shown in my pics, above. It was fun.

I will try the ten reds, then the six, to see how it goes.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob mentioned the possibility of playing English Billiards and if you haven't thought of playing it, you really should.

It's a game that's a total blast and just like playing snooker on a pool table, playing EB on a pool table will yield more points and possibly more immediate enjoyment among all types of players (especially the ones who don't like going a while without scoring).

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob mentioned the possibility of playing English Billiards and if you haven't thought of playing it, you really should.

It's a game that's a total blast and just like playing snooker on a pool table, playing EB on a pool table will yield more points and possibly more immediate enjoyment among all types of players (especially the ones who don't like going a while without scoring).

I have no idea about English Billiards, but I will take a look. Do I already have all the equipment I will need?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea about English Billiards, but I will take a look. Do I already have all the equipment I will need?
It is often played with a white and a yellow (cue balls) and one red. A "proper" old-fashioned set has two white cue balls, one of them marked with spots. Currently the standard seems to be the same design as carom balls (white and yellow balls with spots).

Here is an excellent match with Clive Everton as the commentator. Clive is the greatest living author on the subjects of snooker and English billiards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkDn28dy7E

The video has a lot of rules situations and Clive explains them. Until you get to where you routinely make 100-point breaks, the restrictions on scoring patterns can be ignored. There is a break of over 400 points in the match.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is often played with a white and a yellow (cue balls) and one red. A "proper" old-fashioned set has two white cue balls, one of them marked with spots. Currently the standard seems to be the same design as carom balls (white and yellow balls with spots).

Here is an excellent match with Clive Everton as the commentator. Clive is the greatest living author on the subjects of snooker and English billiards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkDn28dy7E

The video has a lot of rules situations and Clive explains them. Until you get to where you routinely make 100-point breaks, the restrictions on scoring patterns can be ignored. There is a break of over 400 points in the match.

Thanks very much, Bob; I was away, sorry for they delayed reply.

rlowrey1952

First Trial

Thanks to all, for all the kind comments so far.

I received the balls today, and marked the table, first trial of a marking scheme.

I made the baulk line at 1/5 the length, and the radius of the D 1/6 the width. The Spot is 1/11 the length from the foot rail. The Pyramid Spot (pink) is at the regular pool foot spot, and the head red ball spot is 1 1/2", center to center, behind it. The blue spot is at table center, of course.

Here are some pics:

Home%20Snooker%20GC%20I%20small.jpeg

Home%20Snooker%20GC%20I%202%20small.jpeg

Home%20Snooker%20GC%20I%203%20small.jpeg

Home%20Snooker%20GC%20I%204%20small.jpeg

Feedback welcome!
Looks great nice room . I too have a GC that I have set up for snooker. I love the game . Fun to teach others the game. Little bit of straight pool and 9 ball mix when moving cue ball around . I like it. I also have the Aramith Premier 2 1/4" snooker ball set I sent photo as PDF would not let me attach otherwise . I play better pool than I do attaching files I guess .

Attachments

• snookertable2.pdf
    441.3 KB · Views: 159

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here is an excellent match with Clive Everton as the commentator. Clive is the greatest living author on the subjects of snooker and English billiards:

Bob this is why I believe you are the greatest living author on all games involving cues. No matter the subject you are able to add to the conversation. And I do mean add , as in contribute in a positive manner.

So I have played a bastardized version of this and found when I returned to pocket billiards I would play the cueball path and miss pocketing object balls ! It is a great game .