Cataract Surgery

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who had the operation, did your ophthalmologist use lasers or scalpels?

Any opinions one way or the other?

I am probably in need of having a lens replaced in at least one of my eyes. Thanks in advance for the additional insights.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had cataract surgery for my left eye last year, lens implant. NO pain, ever. 20/20 next day. Best medical procedure I ever had. Highly recommend.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine was laser surgery........https://www.eyecarefresno.com.

If you use the link, it offers you some info about eye surgeries.
Today is even better than yesterday and watching baseball on
TV was like being at the actual game. My 70" TV and Bose setup
makes you feel like you are siitting in the stadium...,Go Yankees!

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had both eyes done in 2012. Like others have said - it went well and something I'd recommend. I've worn glasses most of my life and still do. Any lens correction can only do so much. I did a couple types of drops for a week or so before the first surgery and for a couple of weeks after the last. Surgeries were two weeks apart. After the first eye was done, I took that lens out of my glasses so I could wear them for the other eye. Looked a little funny, but it worked. My eyes are more sensitive to bright light and I had to adjust to the improvement in my vision; but it's well worth it.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with mono focus. Having used bifocals before surgery, I had found looking down stairs difficult, blurry. Good way to take a tumble. Plus mono lens are much cheaper, medicare covered them. I had one eye done and the whole surgery took less than 30 min. from leaving pre-op to back in recovery wide awake.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am playing pool later today for the first time in decades without any eyeglasses.
Looking forward to it so much. Watching the US Open right now and the golf course
and players, the Gallery, just everything looks so vivid and clear. This is probably the
first time in many years that HDTV actually is for my eyes so tv sports watching is just
amazing and Netflicks and......and.....life just becomes so much more enjoyable to see.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had mine done a couple of years ago. Whites are White again. The Sky is the prettiest Blue Again. And I can see the girls really good again on the Beach. I always said I want to see good now not when I"m 85. I was only at beginning stages and complained about night driving seeing one headlight and other night driving problems. I was told Complain lots of if you want it done.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I went with mono focus. Having used bifocals before surgery, I had found looking down stairs difficult, blurry. Good way to take a tumble. Plus mono lens are much cheaper, medicare covered them. I had one eye done and the whole surgery took less than 30 min. from leaving pre-op to back in recovery wide awake.

How have you found your vision with the monofocal lens to be when playing pool?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I am playing pool later today for the first time in decades without any eyeglasses.
Looking forward to it so much. Watching the US Open right now and the golf course
and players, the Gallery, just everything looks so vivid and clear. This is probably the
first time in many years that HDTV actually is for my eyes so tv sports watching is just
amazing and Netflicks and......and.....life just becomes so much more enjoyable to see.

Let us know how the pool goes!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was very odd playing pool today. I must have looked for my glasses 1/2 dozen times
over the course of 3 hrs of play. Total clarity on every single shot and the best was long
shots. My depth of field improved allowing me to focus on the object ball clearly while
still seeing the stroking of the cue ball in my bottom peripheral vision. I played better
than last week when only my left eye had been corrected for cataracts. Today I became
distracted by the overall brightness of the pool room since it was very sunny outside. Now
that both my eyes have had cataract surgery, I'm much more sensitive to bright sunny days
like today is in Fresno. Heck, it's going to be that way til October rolls around now that it's
summertime in California's central valley area where it gets HOT& it sure lingers for awhile.

Stay tuned for others that have already had this surgery or are about to undergo their own
surgery and read about their experiences. The clarity & color richness is beyond startling
and 4K HDTV is amazing. So now wondering about OLED's 8K TV sets ....Hmn.....a new
cue or a new TV set? But the best part is there's no waiting list whenever I want a new set.

Thanks again Dr. Fogg.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
great news matt that the surgeries were a success....:thumbup:
now you can "see" how blind you were before the surgeries.....:D

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After my cataract surgery I can now see they have numbers on the balls, is that a new thing? :)

Last edited:

Bob J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had both eyes done in January, and the difference is amazing! Your description of the color shift is correct. My near vision was always good and still is. My distance vision is much improved. I ride motorcycles so eye protection is required anyway, but I may actually be able to pass the Colorado driver's license eye test without my glasses. No way I could have before the surgery.