Wood Question

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I’m not sure whether this is the right place to post this. I’m looking for the closest looking wood that resembles snakewood but isn’t susceptible to cracking easily.

Also would take recommendations for woods that would look nice with ebony with red, gray, black, and white veneers. I found a cue using these colors with ebony and snakewood that I just love.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I’m not sure whether this is the right place to post this. I’m looking for the closest looking wood that resembles snakewood but isn’t susceptible to cracking easily.

Also would take recommendations for woods that would look nice with ebony with red, gray, black, and white veneers. I found a cue using these colors with ebony and snakewood that I just love.

Red Amboyna burl would be a knockout with ebony especially if you subbed orange for the gray veneer.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gray (silver). That's tuff
But Sapelle has that black brown mix. So doesn't Black ash burl from Meridian blades.

IMG_20190531_145739.jpg
IMG_20190612_201415.jpg

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe a nice Leopard/lace-wood. Good luck. :)

JC

Coos Cues
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Pernambuco although not generally highly figured looks sharp with ebony IMO.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All depends on the piece, and some species can have very else color variation. You could find a piece of tigerwood with the right color and contrasty striping. A really vibrant pommele bubinga would stand out. I agree that amboyna is probably the most striking alternative. Lots of woods out there with some striking reddish and orangey colors but less dramatic figures too.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get stick of BEM. Burn the eyes with Nitric acid and then stain it the corresponding color brown.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I know which one is the perfect sub for it.
But, discovery is what's fun in this endeavor.
Your cue maker of choice should search it and be really happy he found it.

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a cuemaker but I've been bitten by the snakewood/ebony combo too. The combo does look amazing.

Have you looked into redwood burl? Beautiful deep red color and wild grain. I've also seen some figured mesquite that I thought would look amazing against an ebony backdrop.

Good luck and I hope you let us know what you let us know what direction you decide to go!

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have decided to go with an Ebony and Curly Maple cue with white, blue, and yellow veneers. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll keep updated on how it looks once I can get it started.