Simplest answer why diamonds play/bank short

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am pretty sure most red labels have black diamond k55 cushions. They started using the artemis towards the end and then changed to blue label. RKC can chime in with exact details.

Trent from Toledo

No, we started using the Artemis in 2001 on the 9fts, K55 black on the 7s & 8s. The first blue label 9fts came out in Oct 2010.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
No, we started using the Artemis in 2001 on the 9fts, K55 black on the 7s & 8s. The first blue label 9fts came out in Oct 2010.

I have only seen/ worked on one red label with artemis on it. When did they switch from black to red? I know you said they are the same. Just wondering how long they made the red for with black diamond k55?

Trent from Toledo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am pretty sure most red labels have black diamond k55 cushions. They started using the artemis towards the end and then changed to blue label. RKC can chime in with exact details.

Trent from Toledo

They had Super Speed. Had a bad batch of Super Speed.
Switched to Championship. They were Championship already when I saw them at the '97 BCA Expo in Vegas.
They were reputed to bank short already with the Championship .
Then came the Artemis .

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have only seen/ worked on one red label with artemis on it. When did they switch from black to red? I know you said they are the same. Just wondering how long they made the red for with black diamond k55?

Trent from Toledo

I have no clue as to what you're asking, I thought I a answered you already.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
They had Super Speed. Had a bad batch of Super Speed.
Switched to Championship. They were Championship already when I saw them at the '97 BCA Expo in Vegas.
They were reputed to bank short already with the Championship .
Then came the Artemis .

Only seen the Championship Fleetwoods on the black labels. I actually just replaced a set of the fleetwoods with Champ. Tour Edition k55, table plays good so far. Lucky the guy lives a mile from me, so as the cloth breaks in I can make a better report on how they play!

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Only seen the Championship Fleetwoods on the black labels. I actually just replaced a set of the fleetwoods with Champ. Tour Edition k55, table plays good so far. Lucky the guy lives a mile from me, so as the cloth breaks in I can make a better report on how they play!

Trent from Toledo

If you're refering to the name plate on the head rail, the black or red has nothing to do with a rail design change, only the blue does. Diamond used different color name plates for different reasons, like the stain finish of the rails.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

I don't know.
But, when I talked to the rep then, he said they had Championship and the height was 1 29/64 at the nose ( iirc ) . It's been 20+ years.
YIKES!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been under the opposite impression. Diamonds are springier, due to the rails being harder. It's spits the ball off shorter....? Softer rubber holds it longer yes, but forces it long, as the ball has a wider arc through the cushion...? Am I wrong here :confused:?

I would think harder would go longer and softer go short. Think about it pushing in deeper at an angle the force would throw it back in the direction it came from more than it would if it barely went in. I am pretty sure extreme soft would cause it to go long as well as extremely hard would.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have been under the opposite impression. Diamonds are springier, due to the rails being harder. It's spits the ball off shorter....?
I don't know if "harder" rubber is the reason for "springier" cushions, but I agree that "springier" cushions make balls rebound shorter (more perpendicular force).

Softer rubber holds it longer yes, but forces it long, as the ball has a wider arc through the cushion...?
I agree with this - in fact Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett did a video together proving this. It's a small effect, but definitely a little longer. [EDIT: Oh, I see Dave posted a link to their video while was typing...]

soft rubber - acts like a catchers mit - deeper into the rubber reduces the release angle
I would think harder would go longer and softer go short. Think about it pushing in deeper at an angle the force would throw it back in the direction it came from more than it would if it barely went in.
This "catcher's mitt" idea has been around a long time, and I can see why, but I don't think it's true based on actual test results like Dave and Bob's.

pj
chgo