Who is currently the best player from CA?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glancing at the "King Of" posts got me thinking. Of course let me specify. Born and raised here. Went to school here. Lives here currently with a CA I.D. We could even break it up between Southern and Northern, unless there is a clear favorite. Today, not in the past.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glancing at the "King Of" posts got me thinking. Of course let me specify. Born and raised here. Went to school here. Lives here currently with a CA I.D. We could even break it up between Southern and Northern, unless there is a clear favorite. Today, not in the past.
Oscar D. is in top-5. Don't know about "best". Chris Robinson is playin real well lately.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar D. is in top-5. Don't know about "best". Chris Robinson is playin real well lately.

Yeah Gar, I think that's as good of a start as any. Thanks. Chris's game has picked up in the last 4-5 years? Or is he just getting out more? Always hard to know.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dennis when in the usa could be a California boy
based on his association the jay
tony chohan i think is also considered a california boy
icbw

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
icbw
OP said born-n-raised. Was Chohan born in Cali? I know he hails from Sactown but i don't know if he's Cali born.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

icbw

OP said born-n-raised. Was Chohan born in Cali? I know he hails from Sactown but i don't know if he's Cali born.

i misread the post
i dont think dennis or tony were born in california

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would put Oscar on top and Chris a close 2nd. With Oscar now the new owner and operator of Hard Times in Sacramento, his game might suffer some.

Chris is only 21 years old and rising rapidly.

Dennis and Tony don’t spend much time in CA anymore. Tony is an action guy and that means living in the south, where he has been for awhile. Dennis is wherever there is action when he is over here. I would not consider either one a CA resident, so IMO it is Oscar and Chris, and Poppa Dominguez is still liable to beat anyone at any time.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I would put Oscar on top and Chris a close 2nd. With Oscar now the new owner and operator of Hard Times in Sacramento, his game might suffer some.

Dennis and Tony don’t spend much time in CA anymore. Tony is an action guy and that means living in the south, where he has been for awhile. Dennis is wherever there is action when he is over here. I would not consider either one a CA resident, so IMO it is Oscar and Chris, and Poppa Dominguez is still liable to beat anyone at any time.

Ernesto is brilliant and I admire his defense and kicking ability.

Vilmos Földes has to at least be in the conversation. Yes he gets beat plenty but when he is feeling it the man shoots as straight as anyone on the left coast.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we're talking current day, It's gotta be Oscar. I'm not even sure there's a clear close challenger in rotation games. Chris Robinson plays well, but i don't believe he would fare well in a long 10 ball race vs OD.

If we're talking about multiple disciplines, you might have to include John Scmidt. The best straight pool player in the world at the moment and former US Open Champion and Mosconi Cup team member. Plays one pocket as well as any Ca residents I can think of as well.

If we want to go back 20 years, you have to include Ernesto and Kim Davenport in the conversation.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes. Used to see them here a lot about 10 years ago, Dennis is just...on another level.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Foldes lives in Vegas now.

As mentioned in the thread, it has to be Oscar if he is playing regularly in terms of 9 and 10 ball.schmidt is the best all around player

I know he is from the Philippines originally, but santos sambajon has to be up there.

Dave Hemmah still shoots pretty well too

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Foldes lives in Vegas now.

As mentioned in the thread, it has to be Oscar if he is playing regularly in terms of 9 and 10 ball.schmidt is the best all around player

I know he is from the Philippines originally, but santos sambajon has to be up there.

Dave Hemmah still shoots pretty well too
Dave isn't the player he used to be, but in my opinion, he probably wouldn't have made the top 5 in California at any point in his career.

You have to remember that when Dave was in his prime, Ernesto and Davenport were playing really well. Then John Schmidt came into the scene.

Tang Hoa could probably be mentioned well before Dave if we're comparing achievements. I believe he was runner up in the US Open.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Oscar is a great player and he now runs a pool hall, not to mention a husband and a family man. I would be surprised if his game stays in top form. Having said that Oscar has the pedigree to be a star for a long time.