Advice please for long sessions of play.

ironchef.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Gang,

Well, I made it into the playoffs of my first 9 Ball league. Brackets are setup so that a player would hypothetically have to play 4 matches of race to 7 each to basically win it all.

I've played pool for like 5-6 hours with friends, but never in competition. I'm just curious to know if anyone has any advice to share for long sessions of tournament style play. This is the first league I've ever played in, granted its a "D" 9 Ball league. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
ironchef. said:
Hi Gang,

Well, I made it into the playoffs of my first 9 Ball league. Brackets are setup so that a player would hypothetically have to play 4 matches of race to 7 each to basically win it all.

I've played pool for like 5-6 hours with friends, but never in competition. I'm just curious to know if anyone has any advice to share for long sessions of tournament style play. This is the first league I've ever played in, granted its a "D" 9 Ball league. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Since you are the ironchef you should have no problem with this tip:
Bring some food and drink for energy. Nothing to heavy but enough to keep energy levels up during play.

Don't drain yourself practicing in between matches. Hit some balls around every once in a while just to keep warm but don't try playing rack after rack of 9ball and also rest for a while after playing for more than 20 min.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
christopheradam said:
Since you are the ironchef you should have no problem with this tip:
Bring some food and drink for energy. Nothing to heavy but enough to keep energy levels up during play.

Don't drain yourself practicing in between matches. Hit some balls around every once in a while just to keep warm but don't try playing rack after rack of 9ball and also rest for a while after playing for more than 20 min.

No, don't bring your own food and drink. BUY your own food and drink from the establishment. Nothing like a byob customer to tick-off a poolroom owner!

Just try and have a good dinner the night before and get a good night's sleep. Health & Happiness go hand-n-hand. Feel good and you'll be happy. Don't think too much and you'll be fine. People who play the very best are often the ones who are there to have fun and aren't thinking about anything else.

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
Gremlin said:
Take all the fluids you can stand ....... Make sure you have some eye drops especially if your in a smoke filled room.

"Gremlin"
..fluids (not beer/alcohol),,,eye drops are a must for me (never smoked; never will)

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a "friend" that I used to travel with sometimes that used to say
a few things about long sessions.

1- If you know that you are going to be playing then watch what you eat or drink for a couple days before. More water and remember what makes you
uh -oh-er loose/gassy. Not worse than being stuck playing an event
with a bad stomach.

2- If you have some time between matches get out of the room for a while.
Even if it just to take a stroll or sit outside.

3- watch your sugar intake for the day. It can cause highs and lows.
Those energy drinks can do the same thing.

4- If its a tournament make sure you take a few mintues to hit a few balls
before starting the next match. The opponnet might try to rush you but dont. Throw all the balls up and shoot all easy shoots in any order to get
loose. He may have just come from a match while you ahve been sitting.

5- No your match times inside and out. No surprises.

6-If I knew I was going to be gone for a long time I would bring a little
bag with some "freshen up" materials and an extra shirt.

It does not matter at what level the event is or your skill level. Have fun and
try your hardest. Find out who the best player there is and catch a match of his or part of it.

ironchef.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
try douching to stay fresh
LOL, its not that time of the month for me and I do not have that "not so fresh" feeling, LOL. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'll make sure I eat sensibly and take in plenty of water.

Last edited:

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol well ya never know.

thats how i caught burning feminine itch one year............i dont wanna talk about it

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
If it is late in the night, and you have been playing all day, get a red bull put it on the rocks, and sip it slowly. It wont hit you as much. I find if i am tired and playing it make me do stupid shots. So that wakes me up physcially and mentally. Also a good breakfast to start out your day. Some eggs and fish, nothing like packing on the brain foods.

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
ironchef. said:
Hi Gang,

Alot of my friends use coke or crystal meth :eek: :D :eek: :D .

J/K...Good luck in the playoffs.

Mike

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Muxy said:
If it is late in the night, and you have been playing all day, get a red bull put it on the rocks, and sip it slowly. It wont hit you as much. I find if i am tired and playing it make me do stupid shots. So that wakes me up physcially and mentally. Also a good breakfast to start out your day. Some eggs and fish, nothing like packing on the brain foods.

Fish and eggs :confused: RedBull :confused: Don't try anything new in a tournament. Don't wax the night before the prom :D

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
Fish and eggs :confused: RedBull :confused: Don't try anything new in a tournament. Don't wax the night before the prom :D

red bull will wake you up, but it seems that whenever i drink it, i get the shakes a little. i feel great, but when i'm shooting, i notice my hands tend to shake.

VAP

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Ironchef,

Put your feet up whenever you can.

Don't let someone talk your head off just before a match...get some "alone" time.

Watch GOOD players and don't watch bad players.

Don't get addicted to looking at the bracket charts...they'll be just fine if you're winning.

Play well,

Jeff, the real chef, :p Livingston