What do you think makes a monster player?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A regular player, VS. a monster player! What do you think makes a player a monster player? Monster player being a super player!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
practice........you can be born with talent, but time on the green makes you great........OTB

I just thought this up, this qoute should go on forever, be on t-shirts...............lol

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Opportunity. Proper Coaching. Deep Practice. Tons of Tough Competition. Mental Toughness.

All these things make a monster player. To be GODZILLA you have to have ALL of these things in great amounts. Having some of them can make you a baby monster capable of beating a big monster in any given set but not over the long run. Being REALLY strong in some of these areas and a little weak in others still makes for a monster player but the weak areas will show up and hold them back from being on top for long.

So in other words a monster player has the whole package. And all of it together gives them a level of confidence that by itself is worth a couple balls over mere mortals.

How are you going to beat a guy that has seen every move in the book? A guy that's played on every table known to man? Only if you yourself are a monster player on your pet table when that road player comes to town will you have a shot. The casual decent player doesn't have a prayer.

And one more thing. You could just boil it down to numbers and stats. The monster player simply has a higher batting average and that makes the difference. In a race to 10 in nine ball there are 19 9 ball shots that have to be made at most before someone wins. As Buddy said your only choice when it's your turn is to duck or shoot. So out of a maximum of 171 shots (if my math is right) the monster player is going to miss considerably less and play effective safeties more. The casual regular player is going to miss more and play weak or failed safeties more. The monster player is going to resafe from the safeties he faces and the regular player is going to sell out more from the safeties he faces. Those are simply the cold numbers that dictate how the match will go. Statistically the better player will win over distance. And if it's a monster vs. a regular player then the gulf is very wide when the numbers are added up.

If any of you want to know where you TRULY stand play Equal Offense or Fargo and then you can see where your place in the pool world is.

Luckily for me at the neighborhood bar I am the monster player. At the poolroom down the street I am the sucker.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A regular player, VS. a monster player! What do you think makes a player a monster player? Monster player being a super player!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

As long as there is nothing wrong with you physically then the usual
difference is passion and commitment.
A great player can dog his brains out much more than a player that he
can give the last 4 to.....'cause he CARES more.
The game must give you a thrill and you have to look for your talent
'till you find it.
To a player that is not totally committed to the game...when he is faced
with a tough shot...many will just roll the dice.
A great player, when faced with the same shot, may feel like this kid....
http://www.google.ca/url?url=http:/...nk+man&usg=AFQjCNEqRj27aaEZjx88W3jn3oIu16ca3Q

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. JB, you are the Man! You summed it up perfect!!!!

Opportunity. Proper Coaching. Deep Practice. Tons of Tough Competition. Mental Toughness.

All these things make a monster player. To be GODZILLA you have to have ALL of these things in great amounts. Having some of them can make you a baby monster capable of beating a big monster in any given set but not over the long run. Being REALLY strong in some of these areas and a little weak in others still makes for a monster player but the weak areas will show up and hold them back from being on top for long.

So in other words a monster player has the whole package. And all of it together gives them a level of confidence that by itself is worth a couple balls over mere mortals.

How are you going to beat a guy that has seen every move in the book? A guy that's played on every table known to man? Only if you yourself are a monster player on your pet table when that road player comes to town will you have a shot. The casual decent player doesn't have a prayer.

And one more thing. You could just boil it down to numbers and stats. The monster player simply has a higher batting average and that makes the difference. In a race to 10 in nine ball there are 19 9 ball shots that have to be made at most before someone wins. As Buddy said your only choice when it's your turn is to duck or shoot. So out of a maximum of 171 shots (if my math is right) the monster player is going to miss considerably less and play effective safeties more. The casual regular player is going to miss more and play weak or failed safeties more. The monster player is going to resafe from the safeties he faces and the regular player is going to sell out more from the safeties he faces. Those are simply the cold numbers that dictate how the match will go. Statistically the better player will win over distance. And if it's a monster vs. a regular player then the gulf is very wide when the numbers are added up.

If any of you want to know where you TRULY stand play Equal Offense or Fargo and then you can see where your place in the pool world is.

Luckily for me at the neighborhood bar I am the monster player. At the poolroom down the street I am the sucker.

Well coming from a Monster player like yourself, you could not help but have it just right! I am glad I know such a guy like you! Thanks for your input!
Many Regards,
Lock n load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the world's famous Double HemLock?

As long as there is nothing wrong with you physically then the usual
difference is passion and commitment.
A great player can dog his brains out much more than a player that he
can give the last 4 to.....'cause he CARES more.
The game must give you a thrill and you have to look for your talent
'till you find it.
To a player that is not totally committed to the game...when he is faced
with a tough shot...many will just roll the dice.
A great player, when faced with the same shot, may feel like this kid....
http://www.google.ca/url?url=http:/...nk+man&usg=AFQjCNEqRj27aaEZjx88W3jn3oIu16ca3Q

Very good post, Dr. Double HemLock! I did not see the Double HemLock logo in your post though! Keep up the good work!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey OTB, you need to copy that statement!

practice........you can be born with talent, but time on the green makes you great........OTB

I just thought this up, this qoute should go on forever, be on t-shirts...............lol

Thanks for your good input! In the subject I meant copyright!
Many Regards,
Lock n load.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Only

One thing !

one-thing.jpg

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Basically

1) They learn to be a run-out artist.
2) They learn to be smart.
3) They learn how to bank.
4) They learn 2-3 break shots that work well for them.

I have seen hundreds of matches where 2 players can be about even as far as running out the balls, but the monster player will break much better than the other player. As an example, Shane Van Boening's 10 ball break.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
They can play 2-3 days and not get tired.

That's not a monster player, that's a chemically enhanced cyborg. :)

Very tough to get the cheese from someone that refuel without inhaling carbs. I know as I have been on the receiving end many times. But one time I outran their stash and got $1800.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Want a very short answer to ur Q lock ? Just look in da mirror....U ova der in da city giving da red rifle the 6 out...haha:thumbup:

TheThaiger

Banned
Opportunity.

I think that's very important. We're quite lucky here the UK - it's a small country and American pool is a very small community, so having access to great players isn't difficult. Same goes for snooker, too. Competition at an early age is essential.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
steel hones steel

Got to have a lot of things, first and foremost heart and desire. There is almost always another thing though, tough competition. Few competitors rise above just enough better to beat their competition. When your competition is a handful of small town players that don't really care about pool the cock of the walk may be a "C" player and never get better. Have the same guy grow up in Manilla with a passion for pool and he might be a world champion.

I remember a funny road story somebody told. They and their partner slid into a strange pool hall in a strange town. He was sizing up the room while his partner was talking to the counterman. The common game in the room was one pocket and he noticed a break and run on one table, then another and another and still another, all on different tables! He went and nudged his partner, "Let's get the hell out of here before somebody thinks we are pool players!"

Two of the greatest inventors the world has ever seen were Edison and his one time assistent Tesla, intense rivals. Leonardo De Vinci was not the greatest artist of his time. He had a heated rivalry with Michaelangelo, pushing both to levels of greatness that probably neither would have achieved without the rivalry. There are many such stories throughout history in many activities and in almost all sports.

Put simply, steel hones steel. You can't sharpen steel against a piece of butter.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Got to have a lot of things, first and foremost heart and desire. There is almost always another thing though, tough competition. Few competitors rise above just enough better to beat their competition. When your competition is a handful of small town players that don't really care about pool the cock of the walk may be a "C" player and never get better. Have the same guy grow up in Manilla with a passion for pool and he might be a world champion.

I remember a funny road story somebody told. They and their partner slid into a strange pool hall in a strange town. He was sizing up the room while his partner was talking to the counterman. The common game in the room was one pocket and he noticed a break and run on one table, then another and another and still another, all on different tables! He went and nudged his partner, "Let's get the hell out of here before somebody thinks we are pool players!"

Two of the greatest inventors the world has ever seen were Edison and his one time assistent Tesla, intense rivals. Leonardo De Vinci was not the greatest artist of his time. He had a heated rivalry with Michaelangelo, pushing both to levels of greatness that probably neither would have achieved without the rivalry. There are many such stories throughout history in many activities and in almost all sports.

Put simply, steel hones steel. You can't sharpen steel against a piece of butter.

Hu

Good post, Hu.

Players come from players.

Good players are a small percentage of a pool hall's business...
...but they're important to the game game because they show the way.