Your thoughts Cyclops Hyp vs Aramith

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith......for color richness, durability, tight tolerances, design, I.e., appearance, and overall esthetics.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are good sets and both will play just fine in a home setting. Colors are an opinion.

The only thing I do not like on the Hyperion balls is that measles knock off cue ball. It plays way too light for some reason. I am not the hardest 9 ball breaker but it does have a habit of jumping table more than any other cue ball I have ever used. I was not the only one at our club to notice that.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the beginning there were complaints from the pros about skidding. I Haven't heard any gripes from them lately.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Is it my imagination, or do the Cyclops balls have a glossier surface?

They play fine as far as I can tell (only use them once a week or so - otherwise all Centennials).

pj
chgo

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
When Cyclop first offerings came out, I heard they used Hyatt/Albany Ball phenolic recipe as the basis. The rep at Simonis explained to me that was 4th generation phenolic (over 20 years old technology). Super Pro and current Centennials are made with 5th generation phenolic and top of the line Duramith are made with 6th (harder wearing).

Have Cyclop improve their phenolic?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We only put Aramith Balls on the BreakRAK, it's the only ball that won't break.

Now.., while I say it won't break, I mean the percentage is about 6 out of 5000+ in 19 years.

We've tried other balls, but they didn't last in our trials. They never made it to production.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I at one time owned all 3 sets. Aramith, Cyclop (regular and TV version) and Centennials. I kept the Cyclop and sold the rest.

At our club we have Centennials, Hyperion and Aramith. The Hyperion stay cleaner longer and get less leather pocket smudges on them. But most people use the Centennials just because they like the traditional looks and colors.

I dont think you can really go wrong with any of them I really think it just comes down to your own preference.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
We only put Aramith Balls on the BreakRAK, it's the only ball that won't break.

Now.., while I say it won't break, I mean the percentage is about 6 out of 5000+ in 19 years.

We've tried other balls, but they didn't last in our trials. They never made it to production.

I'm willing to test that theory if you can send me a pro model to try. :D

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just our opinions.... Hyperion cue ball gets much more action, stays brighter colored longer. Our measles aramith turns darker much quicker.

However with strong breaks and jumps, the measle ball holds up much better against a g10 tip. The Hyperion cue ball has many cracks in it from the same.

Both sets overall are nice but we practice with the aramith unless getting ready for an upcoming tournament that uses hyperions