U.S. Pool Rooms

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'd buy the printed version. There's quite a few pics in the "Pool Halls from all over" thread that would make a nice addition. Being pool/billiard related it wouldn't sell millions of copies but high-quality pictures of tables like that one-pocket Brunswick and places from all corners of the world would garner some interest.

Yeah, that two pocket table is the cat's meow. It would be nice to have a high quality set of pictures of all of the pool rooms.

If I make it down to Fargo Billiards one day, I will bring a camera for sure. Won't be going there unless it's spring or summer. ;)

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J-Town

Sitting at a McDonald's (free wifi) in Neosho, Mo, so I thought I would do some replies.

Ask and you shall receive. It's a modified Brunswick-Balke-Collander. My understanding is that there are only 4 of these in existence.

Note that the racking end of the table is where there are NO pockets. The locals call the game. "Long-end one pocket".

The "Pirate" invites anyone to come in and try him some.

BTW, it is located at O K Bar & Billiards in Joplin, MO.

J-Town, before it closed, had several of these tables...they were Brunswick Centennials set up by Ted Pierson. They were not factory made this way, they were modified.

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have

Sitting at a McDonald's (free wifi) in Neosho, Mo, so I thought I would do some replies.

Ask and you shall receive. It's a modified Brunswick-Balke-Collander. My understanding is that there are only 4 of these in existence.

Note that the racking end of the table is where there are NO pockets. The locals call the game. "Long-end one pocket".

The "Pirate" invites anyone to come in and try him some.

BTW, it is located at O K Bar & Billiards in Joplin, MO.

I have played on that table....and it was difficult to bank shots that normally would be automatic with no sidepocket there for reference..took a little while.....

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
That's the idea...

Yeah, that two pocket table is the cat's meow. It would be nice to have a high quality set of pictures of all of the pool rooms.

If I make it down to Fargo Billiards one day, I will bring a camera for sure. Won't be going there unless it's spring or summer. ;)

Joey, that is one of my projects in doing this. You guys catch on too fast. It will take about 3 years to accomplish.

Sitting in Fayetteville, AR getting my rear brakes done. They have WIFI.

Wags

Silver Member

Wags

Silver Member
2 pocket one pocket tables

J-Town, before it closed, had several of these tables...they were Brunswick Centennials set up by Ted Pierson. They were not factory made this way, they were modified.

Good information!!! I will certainly use it. M-mmm, wonder what happened to those other ones?

Wags

Silver Member
What????????????

I have played on that table....and it was difficult to bank shots that normally would be automatic with no sidepocket there for reference..took a little while.....

Kyle, I have a hard time believing that you were having trouble making bank shots...straight in, OK, banks, I didn't think your ever missed. :thumbup:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joey, that is one of my projects in doing this. You guys catch on too fast. It will take about 3 years to accomplish.

Sitting in Fayetteville, AR getting my rear brakes done. They have WIFI.

Run over to Murfreesboro, AR and pick up some FREE diamonds, from the volcanic diamond mine there, for inlays in your next cue. ;)

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kyle, I have a hard time believing that you were having trouble making bank shots...straight in, OK, banks, I didn't think your ever missed. :thumbup:

i thought it was tuff .....no pocket there for you to gage your banks...i hear ya ,,,,i would rather bank a ball then cut it in lol:thumbup:

9BallPaul

Banned
Suggestion

If your journey takes you through Denver, check out Hank's at West 38th Avenue and Sheridan Blvd. It was formerly Paradise (that's what the sign still says) and was once the Family Fun Center, a stop for many road players who trooped through in the golden era.

The other notable room these days is Felt (formerly Table Steaks) in the southern 'burbs.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm traveling the highways trying to see every room in the continental U.S. before they all close. I'm getting stories, history and pictures. I'll try to post two rooms, with front door picts, every week (Mon & Fri). If any has any good stories, info, etc., please share.

I started on I29 in Grand Forks, ND so this is the first room I was at.

TJ's
attachment.php

Fargo Biliiards and Gastropub
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll post another on Friday. BTW, I am in the Kansas City area right now.

Man,i wish i was riding shotgun withyou WAGS,this is got to be the most exciting adventure for a pool lover,to see every great pool room,and the great pool players that it produced,iam jelious,WAGS, when you finally get to baltimore(if ur coming that far)make sure you go and check out RUNNING OUT BILLIARDS)OVER IN dundalk,it is home to a great player,Cigar Tom Vanover,i hope u r enjoying yourself and be careful and safe!

Wags

Silver Member
Yes, warm New Orleans

Another five hour drive south from Shreveport, LA and you'll hit Buffalo Billiards in the suburbs of New Orleans at Metairie.

Come pass a good time bring plenty of memory for your cameras. We've got some sights to behold. :D

That is on my schedule. I'll be there.

Wags

Silver Member
be there eventually

Man,i wish i was riding shotgun withyou WAGS,this is got to be the most exciting adventure for a pool lover,to see every great pool room,and the great pool players that it produced,iam jelious,WAGS, when you finally get to baltimore(if ur coming that far)make sure you go and check out RUNNING OUT BILLIARDS)OVER IN dundalk,it is home to a great player,Cigar Tom Vanover,i hope u r enjoying yourself and be careful and safe!

Not only the great rooms, but I'm finding the hidden old gems.

I walk into any POOL ROOM (not bar) and feel completely at ease...and let the BS start flying.

Thanks for your wishes.

Wags

Silver Member
McDonalds in Mena, AR

Spent the night here on my my to Texarkana, then to Shreveport, New Iberia, Houma and New Orleans.

I've never been to Maine in the fall but...it can't have anything on the drive between Fayetteville and Ft. Smith on highway 71. WOW.

Todays picture is from Sioux City, IA. Bank Shot Billiards. Sorry that it is one of their stock picts. I forgot to get an outside picture, must have gotten up too early that day. It hasn't happened since. I now have a pre-shot routine.

Attachments

• a1_1.jpg
    a1_1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 565

Wags

Silver Member
Double Vision

Help me in wishing my good friend "Chicago Tom" Sheely (Roll Out) a speedy recovery from eye surgery to correct a double vision problem. That has to be a pool players worst nightmare (especially if they don't drink).

I also would like to thank Tom personally because without his help, input and general BS, this project would not have happened.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Run over to Murfreesboro, AR and pick up some FREE diamonds, from the volcanic diamond mine there, for inlays in your next cue. ;)

Lol I was there with my wife and kids in June of 2010! Very hot and we didn't find any diamonds but there were 4 found that day. FYI Murfressboro is in a dry county. Imagine my surprise when we got there and i asked one of the locals where a bar or pool room is at, I had to drive 45 min to a town called Pearl (?) to get a cold beer!

Beautiful area though.

Last edited:

Wags

Silver Member
Jay, it is good to hear of your travels and the notes from others. MAC

Wags

Silver Member
Sioux City

Today's room is located in Sioux City, IA. Back in the '80's the Corner Pocket was one hot spot to play.

Attachments

• front crop.jpg
    front crop.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 522