Some Tips on How to Play While Nervous

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Just posted a new article on my blog:

Here's the introduction.
(If it's interesting, click the link to read the article.)

Nervousness is a mental condition. It is most intense when fear is greatest. Generally, the fear is based on worries of survival – actual or imaginary. In the world of pool playing, nervousness occurs when you are doing something new. It could be entering an unknown pool hall, playing an unknown opponent; or entering a tournament for the first time.

http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-can-play-better-nervous/

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only thing that really works for me to an extent is to practice frequently enough that you can still play through the nerves. When you practice on a frequent basis your so-called muscle memory can get you through the jitters

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Great post

I personally think that nerves are a good thing. Doesnt mean that you aren't the favorite to win. Personally I will strike the cue ball a little more firmly when my nerves present themselves. That's just my way of dealing with them. I will confront my fears head on...and the sound of the ball smacking into the back of the pocket quickly reminds me that I'm in control. Once I take mental control back, I'll start stroking the cue ball and smoothing things out. That's just my way of taking control back when nerves try to control me. Whatever your mental process is, you just need to be able to beat the thing that's trying to mess you up. My suggestion is that everyone have a method that THEY BELIEVE WORKS FOR THEM. that's all that's important, since the problem is a make believe problem that they created in their head in the first place. Nobody can tell you how to kill the ghost YOU created. You need to figure that one out for yourself. Here's where being a little superstitious can have some advantages.

bobprobst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only way to deal with nerves is to frequently put yourself in situations where you're nervous. After a time, you'll expect the nerves, you'll be familiar with them and they'll stop affecting you.

My wife is a professional musician, she says everyone is nervous before a concert. But they've all been doing the work for so long and know that it's just excitement & adrenaline and that they can use that to give a better performance.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just posted a new article on my blog:

Here's the introduction.
(If it's interesting, click the link to read the article.)

Nervousness is a mental condition. It is most intense when fear is greatest. Generally, the fear is based on worries of survival – actual or imaginary. In the world of pool playing, nervousness occurs when you are doing something new. It could be entering an unknown pool hall, playing an unknown opponent; or entering a tournament for the first time.

http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-can-play-better-nervous/

First let me say that I like your books. Your books on safety play are perhaps the best written on the subject.

Now for this subject, fear, which as you pointed out causes the nervousness.

Here is a mindset or a philosophy that might help also. In my experience when someone adopts this mindset they quit concerning theirself with the fear and focus on the positive outcome and the fear just goes away.

The mindset is this... "RISK IS THE ONLY ROAD TO REWARD"

This means when you want something there is usually going to be an amount of risk involved in getting it. There are 2 types of people... there are those that run towards pleasure and there are those that run away from pain. Running towards pleasure and rjnning away from pain are not the same direction. Example, If somebody is presented with an opportunity to get the ball to score the winning basket. Someone who runs toward pleasure sees this as an opportunity to shine. Someone who runs from pain starts imagining the worst case scenario. They say... "what if I fail", "everyone is going to hate me", "people will lose respect for me", whatever. The list could go on. These guys dont want the ball. They dont want to take the risk.

Here is the deal though and this is the mindset that allows someone to focus on the positive. People have to remember that the worst case scenario very rarely ever happens in almost all situations. Once you realize that then taking risks becomes much easier. If you want something go get it... even if there is a risk. Do not dwell on all of the what ifs because like I said the worst case scenario likely wont happen and almost certainly wouldnt be as bad as you imagine... but the best case scenario can only happen if you man up and take the risk. So, point being, dont be afraid, focuson what you 2ant and go get it.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
since the problem is a make believe problem that they created in their head in the first place. Nobody can tell you how to kill the ghost YOU created. You need to figure that one out for yourself.

This is my take on it as well, I don't buy in to nerves, fear or pressure. The only place they exist is where they were created, in your mind. They're not real tangible entities.

I truly believe that a case ball shot to win the US Open is no different than that same shot you take in practice sessions, it's just a shot. Any nerves, fear or pressure you perceive is situational and self created. Just as you allow yourself to give life to these thoughts that overwhelm you there is also the option to choose to not feel them. Easier said than done? Not really, free your mind and your ass & pool game will follow.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
How to Play While Nervous

2 short glasses of Matisse Scotch Whiskey & a valium, then watch those jangled nerves melt away into the rear view mirror.

was this exercise supposed to be limited to natural fixes? :grin-square:

carry on.

best,
brian kc.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Proven effective remedy

2 short glasses of Matisse Scotch Whiskey & a valium, then watch those jangled nerves melt away into the rear view mirror.

was this exercise supposed to be limited to natural fixes? :grin-square:

carry on.

best,
brian kc.

I've used this remedy in different ways, seems very effective to me. :cool:

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing for more than I've got in my wallet makes me nervous.

That sounds like a Lee Trevino quote about pressure:
Pressure is when you play for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket.
Lee Trevino

I do think that nervousness by definition is all in one's head. It needs to be acknowledged and dismissed if it pops up.

Saw this unrelated one while I was there, thought it was interesting:

There is no such thing as natural touch. Touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls.
Lee Trevino

Last edited:

maximillion

justa strokin!
Silver Member
I dont have the answer to the question, but I do think it is the right question to ask.

I took a long break from pool. When I started again I was very inconsistant, but my best was better than ever before and my bad was really bad. I have focused on what makes me play well. Im still working on that.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The only thing you have to fear is fear iteself!"

"Pressure is a privilege." Another great quote from Billie Jean King.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I played in a senior tournament yesterday where I played and scored well.
For me, what works is knowing what to think about.
Detailed PSR and confidence in shot mechanics.
I also got lucky in one game :)

I usually say Success breads confidence and confidence breads Success.

Last edited: