View Single Post
Old
  (#38)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-24-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
That's not my definition of a great shot-maker. A great shot-maker may make the wrong position choice but they make a position choice and they pocket the ball based on that choice. Once you begin to develop the skills to consistently pocket balls, it's only natural to think about setting up for the next shot. The player has to be able to pocket the ball with spin in order to be a great shot-maker.
I guess it's a matter of definition then. I consider a great shot maker someone that can pocket a wide variety of difficult shots with remarkable consistency. CB spin and position play have little to do with this core skill of just pocketing balls. Many weekend bar room players have superb ball pocketing skills and minimal if any position playing skills.

Keep in mind that I am not talking about poolhall players that practice and watch youtube clips and take lessons, etc.... I'm talking about weekend warriors that have no poolhalls. They don't subscribe to Billiards Digest, couldn't name 1 pro player if you offered them a prize to do so, and they certainly don't participate in AZB forums. But they've spent years and years worth of Friday and Saturday nights shooting every shot they were confronted with, developing an uncanny ability to pocket balls, despite position play. It's habitual. In order for a player like this to incorporate position play into their game, it would take a couple of months to break the habit of shooting at anything regardless of position. As Bob described with a student he had once, that habit isn't so easy to break.

But I have seen improvement with a couple of shot makers who began paying more attention to position and cb control. They miss more shots now because they are learning to move the cb around, which means they're using spin, and that's not something they've spent years developing. But they win more because they aren't blindly selling out by going for foolish shots that leave no reward.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 10-25-2019 at 05:34 AM.