View Single Post
Old
  (#55)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Yeah, see, I think you and I are thinking different things about the meaning of the term 'good shot-maker.' I don't mean a good shot-maker for a once a week player. I mean someone who plays a lot and pockets balls from just about everywhere. That type of player is just on the cusp of reeling it in and playing position. It's just a natural progression. The type of player you're referring to should probably continue to work on their shot-making skills.
You're right. I think a good shot maker is any player that can consistently pull good shots off, whether they play less than a dozen games of 8ball on a barbox every week, and never practice, or they play countless games in a poolhall every day and practice 5 days a week. If you are good at pocketing balls, especially difficult shots when you're way out of line, then you're a good shot maker.

Of course, the player playing in a poolhall and practicing a lot will get out of line far less often than the bar banger, but both players can certainly be great shot makers. Playing position is not a prerequisite to becoming a great shot maker. It's usually the lack of good position play that forces a player to shoot tough shots all too often, which helps them develop uncanny pocketing skills, and it doesn't automatically lead them to playing good position. Years of just settling for any shot creates a habit of just settling for any shot, especially when you've developed the ability to consistently pocket shots from crazy positions.

So the type of player I'm referring to already has excellent shot-making skills. What they need to work on is playing better position so they'll have easier shots to shoot most of the time. And when or if they choose to go down that road, they'll start missing a lot of shots at first, and, unless they make time to practice, they'll probably revert back to their old ways of just getting a shot, any shot. This "natural progression" to playing good position only applies to players that are continually working to improve their game, and this certainly doesn't pertain to every person that plays pool.

Regarding position play, there is better information available today compared to 25 or so years ago. The principle of "staying on the right side of the ball" wasn't something one found in any instructional book that I know of, at least not until the 1990's when Phil Capelle came out with his book, Play Your Best Pool. Prior to that about the only info an aspiring player could gather on position play was "always leave an angle" and "play for the biggest area" within the tageted position zone for any given shot. And today, with YouTube and Amazon and AZ Billiards and other prime markets for learning opportunities, more and more players have access to instructional material. So the great shot-making bar bangers that I'm referring to, the ones that only know one rule for position -- leave another shot, any shot -- are probably becoming a dying breed.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 11-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.