Joe Rogan - "Pro pool players look down on bowlers"

camaro69926

Registered
Texas Hold'em Poker took off in no time to the mainstream. I think mainly because of the gambling and the strategy of the game. Pool has plenty of gambling in it. Maybe advertise that instead of hiding it (as in days past). If somebody is a long shot in a tournament put some odds on each player and promote the gambling side. I know that wont clean the rep that the sport has, but why not just go with it.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Texas Hold'em Poker took off in no time to the mainstream. I think mainly because of the gambling and the strategy of the game. Pool has plenty of gambling in it. Maybe advertise that instead of hiding it (as in days past). If somebody is a long shot in a tournament put some odds on each player and promote the gambling side. I know that wont clean the rep that the sport has, but why not just go with it.

The big difference (not that you don't know this) imo is that anyone can get lucky and win Texas Hold'm. But when it comes to pool the best players always will beat the weak.

Sure the weak can get lucky and have a good day, but you'll never see a C player beat an Open Pro playing even.

Now if your thinking using gaffs and handi-caps then sure, like Hand Span for a good B player against an Open Pro would be interesting to watch...

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 of her last 3 wins were KOs, Beth Correia and Alexis Davis, both in Rd 1 under 35 seconds one of whom she knocked COLD while chasing her along the ropes-the other with a flurry.

Both those ladies have a better than 2-1 winning record-No wonder Joe felt the way he did.-not to mention Ronda.

Ronda executed a beautiful O goshi against Alexis Davis and once on the ground, Davis had absolutely no idea what to do and allowed Ronda to hit in the face multi times before the ref stopped it. Ronda was excellent against women who had caught up with the sport yet.

Rogan cried when he said that Ronda was a once in a life time fighter and said that she could beat 50% of the men in her weight class. Ronda went on to say that she could beat then heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Rogan retracted his statement and Ronda just got exposed.

If she would have had a better coach and stuck to her strengths....She might still be there. Might

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know...I might prefer the one-piece overalls over this

c898f1ad002c8471c417acf4a04a3009--s-workout-workout-music.jpg

:thumbup:

buttnkdwonder

Registered

I couldn't agree more. You're seeing this as well with the NBA. That league is embracing the gambling side because they know how much it drives the public interest.

Poker took off for a few reasons. One, it's a game any Joe Schmo can play in. Two, there are real stakes due to the money on the line. Three, they implemented cameras to allow you to have "inside info" on the game. Pool is similar in that unlike football or soccer, you can literally go play a game immediately after watching and try to do what you saw the pros do. Why discard the gambling element of the game when it is so clearly part of the foundation of the game?

Pool isn't snooker, and the United States isn't Europe. The bow ties and vests may work for that sport, but American pool is a totally different game and culture. It doesn't have to be guys talking shit playing in overalls, but it also doesn't need to be buttoned up and boring. The Mosconi Cup is a great example of when it works--interesting format, team play, jeering and trash talking, real passion and enthusiasm for the game, etc. It is a professional event but it's also fun and entertaining. Providing more accessibility to gambling on the game is probably the best way to increase viewership--and if the major sports leagues are doing it I think pool would be foolish not to follow their lead.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more. You're seeing this as well with the NBA. That league is embracing the gambling side because they know how much it drives the public interest.

Poker took off for a few reasons. One, it's a game any Joe Schmo can play in. Two, there are real stakes due to the money on the line. Three, they implemented cameras to allow you to have "inside info" on the game. Pool is similar in that unlike football or soccer, you can literally go play a game immediately after watching and try to do what you saw the pros do. Why discard the gambling element of the game when it is so clearly part of the foundation of the game?

Pool isn't snooker, and the United States isn't Europe. The bow ties and vests may work for that sport, but American pool is a totally different game and culture. It doesn't have to be guys talking shit playing in overalls, but it also doesn't need to be buttoned up and boring. The Mosconi Cup is a great example of when it works--interesting format, team play, jeering and trash talking, real passion and enthusiasm for the game, etc. It is a professional event but it's also fun and entertaining. Providing more accessibility to gambling on the game is probably the best way to increase viewership--and if the major sports leagues are doing it I think pool would be foolish not to follow their lead.

The problem with pool is it does not have a universal governing body.
In all major sports, anyone caught betting on their sport gets a lifetime ban.

buttnkdwonder

Registered
The problem with pool is it does not have a universal governing body.
In all major sports, anyone caught betting on their sport gets a lifetime ban.

Great point. The decentralization of professional pool makes it difficult to do a lot of things the major sports do very well. A true universal sanctioning body would be great for the game and would possibly be the only way to govern instances like you describe. At the very least we could hope for a tournament organizer like Matchroom to get so big that expulsion from their tournaments becomes a death sentence for professional players--or an agreement between organizers perhaps.

There is incredible potential in gambling on pool--many great prop bet opportunities, not to mention more traditional betting. Like what fantasy football has done for the NFL, gamifying the viewing experience for the audience would be a great way to draw interest. The leaders of the game need to find a way to figure this out.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronda executed a beautiful O goshi against Alexis Davis and once on the ground, Davis had absolutely no idea what to do and allowed Ronda to hit in the face multi times before the ref stopped it. Ronda was excellent against women who had caught up with the sport yet.

Rogan cried when he said that Ronda was a once in a life time fighter and said that she could beat 50% of the men in her weight class. Ronda went on to say that she could beat then heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Rogan retracted his statement and Ronda just got exposed.

If she would have had a better coach and stuck to her strengths....She might still be there. Might

I think someone asked her if she'd have a chance against Cain and she said something like-"I have a chance against anybody (and so do i) i dont think she said "I can beat Cain or anything close"

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Poker took off because of the hole card cameras.

That's it.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think someone asked her if she'd have a chance against Cain and she said something like-"I have a chance against anybody (and so do i) i dont think she said "I can beat Cain or anything close"

"UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently spoke with Spanish-language daily Hoy newspaper and said that, under the right circumstances, she believes that she could beat heavyweight king Cain Velasquez.

"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," Rousey said of beating Velasquez when asked if she thought she could.

"You cannot tell me that it is physically impossible. It is possible that in any given moment that I could beat him. I simply believe in my possibilities."

Velasques was not only a JUCO Nat'l Chapion in wrestling, he placed 5th in the Country at Arizona state and is a BJJ black belt. Yes, if Velasquiz was asleep, RR might have a chance.

It was right after this interview that the video came out of her being handled easily by a high school wrestler.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-...he-could-beat-heavyweight-171849440--mma.html

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently spoke with Spanish-language daily Hoy newspaper and said that, under the right circumstances, she believes that she could beat heavyweight king Cain Velasquez.

"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," Rousey said of beating Velasquez when asked if she thought she could.

"You cannot tell me that it is physically impossible. It is possible that in any given moment that I could beat him. I simply believe in my possibilities."

Velasques was not only a JUCO Nat'l Chapion in wrestling, he placed 5th in the Country at Arizona state and is a BJJ black belt. Yes, if Velasquiz was asleep, RR might have a chance.

It was right after this interview that the video came out of her being handled easily by a high school wrestler.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-...he-could-beat-heavyweight-171849440--mma.html

"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," That is not i can beat Cain

Almost exactly what i said-she didnt say i can beat Cain-she said it was possible that she could beat him- A Huge difference- It's possible i could beat Earl.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," That is not i can beat Cain

Almost exactly what i said-she didnt say i can beat Cain-she said it was possible that she could beat him- A Huge difference- It's possible i could beat Earl.

How about this one...

“I never say that I’m incapable of beating anybody, because I don’t believe in putting limits on myself,” Rousey said on ESPN’s SportsCenter on Thursday (via MMAFighting.com) when the discussion of her fighting men was brought up. “So I mean, I would have to say if you’re just talking about what’s possible of who I could beat, well I could beat 100 percent of them."

So yes, she adds the caveat of possibilities in the mix saying she could beat 100% of all men.

So as long as we are talking about what could be possible then I too can beat Earl and Efren weak handed on skates. I will go on to say that I can win the 2020 U.S. Open with an eye patch.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about this one...

“I never say that I’m incapable of beating anybody, because I don’t believe in putting limits on myself,” Rousey said on ESPN’s SportsCenter on Thursday (via MMAFighting.com) when the discussion of her fighting men was brought up. “So I mean, I would have to say if you’re just talking about what’s possible of who I could beat, well I could beat 100 percent of them."

So yes, she adds the caveat of possibilities in the mix saying she could beat 100% of all men.

So as long as we are talking about what could be possible then I too can beat Earl and Efren weak handed on skates. I will go on to say that I can win the 2020 U.S. Open with an eye patch.

This is all just "believe in yourself" BS that all athletes are taught is important.

"If you're talking about what's possible...." How much more of a hedge do you need?

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible that Ronda could beat any human a live in the right position. I think if she is in ground fighting/rolling she might be able to get a tap from anyone.

The problem is not only in getting that position but doing it without sustaining injury.

That is what would be highly unlikely in a MMA situation or in a fight with a trained fighter imo...

And yes "There Is No Crying In Pool" Only Whining And Blaming Someone/Something Else...