I'm a bit confused about Schon SL-7

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This COULD be in the WTB/WTS section but not exactly.

I looked at a WTS Schon SL-7, basically here in town recently - locally - and took a quick picture or two with a camera phone I'd never used before:

No, not the best picture, but CLEARLY there's some sort of "differences" (and obvious ones) between THAT SL-7 and THIS one:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=335199&highlight=schon

The "diamonds" on my (i.e., the "local") Schon SL-7 are NOT sharp. And the rings are obviously checkered/notched/dashed (I'm not sure of the exact nomenclature).

THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON, and I'M 99.999% CONVINCED THE OPer's SL-7 IS AUTHENTIC, BUT FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD THIS "LOCAL" Schon SL-7 DEFINITELY SEEMS OF "INFERIOR" QUALITY - IF YOU ASK ME - & I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE TROPICAL FISH HOBBY THAN CUE-COLLECTING - SO I'M NOT THE ONE TO ASK.
BUT THE URETHANE IS ALSO "BUBBLING" OFF THE BUTT IN ONE OR TWO "PEA_SIZED" AREAS & ALSO IN "GRAIN-OF-SAND" SIZE AREAS IN SEVERAL (6-12?) OTHER PLACES ON THE BUTT. --- BUT THE OPer's BUTT LOOKS PERFECT. TRUE, THE QUALITY OF MY PHOTO IS WEAK, BUT IT'S NOT THE QUALITY OF THE PHOTOS THAT ARE DIFFERENT - ESSENTIALLY, THESE ARE (SOMEHOW) DIFFERENT CUES. I'M PERPLEXED TO SAY THE LEAST. ... LBNL, IF YOU LOOK IN THE EXTREME UPPER RIGHT CORNER OF THE BUTT - ON MY PHOTO - YOU CAN SEE ONE OF THE PEA-SIZED AREAS THAT IS LIFTING IN THE VARNISH. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY EXPLANATION(s).

Best,
Paul

PS: I kinda wish I knew if collectors said "finish" or "varnish" or "urethane" (or even something "other") beings I haven't figured out which would be most appropriate in this type of case.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon made different models during different times with slightly different inlays and color patterns. The sharp pointed one could have been made before or maybe after the rounded pointed inlay you saw and still be the same model.

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the rings versus the notched or checkered rings?
The chronology...I guess it'd be nice to hear something(s) a little bit more "definitive"...

Hang, I do appreciate the feedback...something a bit more concrete would be appreciated even though I'm not loosing sleep over it or anything...I've looked at the SL brochure at palmercollector.com ... almost studied the dang thing ... obviously there's SO MUCH I don't fully comprehend about Schon (not to mention all Qbuilders)
but maybe would a buyer "spec" the notches, or builder "throw them in for intrigue factor" and "dull the diamonds" simultaneously? Kind of non-sequitur - an upgrade and downgrade simultaneously - but I do unexplainable things myself at times...No obsession of mine to be sure, but maybe there's something slightly less abstract to be discerned?
Best,
Paul

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the rings versus the notched or checkered rings?
The chronology...I guess it'd be nice to hear something(s) a little bit more "definitive"...

Hang, I do appreciate the feedback...something a bit more concrete would be appreciated even though I'm not loosing sleep over it or anything...I've looked at the SL brochure at palmercollector.com ... almost studied the dang thing ... obviously there's SO MUCH I don't fully comprehend about Schon (not to mention all Qbuilders)
but maybe would a buyer "spec" the notches, or builder "throw them in for intrigue factor" and "dull the diamonds" simultaneously? Kind of non-sequitur - an upgrade and downgrade simultaneously - but I do unexplainable things myself at times...No obsession of mine to be sure, but maybe there's something slightly less abstract to be discerned?
Best,
Paul

What????????? Please dumb down your mastery of english so we pool players can figure out what you said.
thanks

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What????????? Please dumb down your mastery of english so we pool players can figure out what you said.
thanks

I'm not quite sure WTF you're talking about. If you care to be more specific and find words that pool players don't use, then point them out and I'll try to redact them for your benefit and anybody else's. On second thought, maybe not. How bout just GTFO and find another thread?

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
If you don't like a certain cue don't buy it. Schon makes variety of cues, always has.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I'm not quite sure WTF you're talking about. If you care to be more specific and find words that pool players don't use, then point them out and I'll try to redact them for your benefit and anybody else's. On second thought, maybe not. How bout just GTFO and find another thread?

Although I hesitate to perorate, I must also abstain from procrustean endeavors. Hence, I shall postprandially defenestrate all callipygous revenants, offering them as deodands, and return to my ctenophilia.

EDIT> I forgot a few of these:smile::wink::grin-square:

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Although I hesitate to perorate, I must also abstain from procrustean endeavors. Hence, I shall postprandially defenestrate all callipygous revenants, offering them as deodands, and return to my ctenophilia.

Them right there are them hundred doller college words.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Its cool to be all obtuse and verbose in your pontification, but for christ sakes no need to be a phallus member here.........

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not too expert on phallus members here...maybe the contingent of AZ "members" w/ a wee bit too much time available ... the expert members or experts on members or whatever. if it gets stuck in your throat maybe it's a member. who knows?

Its cool to be all obtuse and verbose in your pontification, but for christ sakes no need to be a phallus member here.........

"That link has a lot of Schon models including the entire SL line. I have an SL-5 which was my daily player for years until I got a Woodworth which I currently use.
With the stitched rings yours looks more like an R-12."

No, it almost certainly is NOT an R-12, and the seller himself is well acquainted with R-12s. I do appreciate your taking a look. It's hard to believe that a few folks would rather choke up a thread w/ ... garbage or whatever. WAY too much spare time on their hands apparently. Maybe got used to spare time in the joint getting used to members in their throats or some such thing. Honestly have no idea. So far, it seems there's been two (if I count correctly) decent responses and the rest are just puked up garbage. No biggie.

"If you don't like a certain cue don't buy it." If you don't like a thread the GTFO.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Can you defenestrate on a Mac?

Doesn't that require windows?
:confused:

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex? A-L-E-X?? REALLY? The Lion King?! Haha

Alex, you say:

"The trouble with painting with a 'broad brush' is that no race or culture
stands up to that scrutiny...we are all collectively guilty of heinous crimes.

I know a Bangladeshi who is so glad to be in North America....he loves
how safe he feels...he's got a good trade and has fun competing at pool.

I'm on this computer because of a Sikh man...he is the smartest and kindest person I know.
He helps a bunch of us with with software and hardware problems....
....and we can only repay him with gifts.

I know a few Pakistanis who are good guys.....one of them was a highly
ranked snooker player in Pakistan...he was nearing pro-caliber 9-ball
player when 911 happened....he felt so bad he quit playing pool, no matter
how much we tried to get him back, he couldn't be comforted.

A plot was being hatched to blow up a VIA train at a bridge crossing
into NY State....a Toronto Imam alerted the authorities.

So, I hope this feral animal gets punished for what he did, but not his race.

None of us can carry the guilt of what our respective races have done."

Wow. Double wow. WTFRU? You're a real "celebrity personality"? According to WHOM? Maybe you should spent time in school instead of pool? Hang your boots on that next pool tourney I guess.

What business is it of yours? where you contribute NOTHING to my thread? I guess getting bashed for your love of Islam scorned you and so you try to take it out here in an UN-related topic? If you don't have anything intelligent to add, go back to posting your hypocritical love of Islam. BTW, I didn't know that some races use a step stool to shoot pool. Hey, that rhymes? Poet didn't know it LOL! Also heard that some races have small penises. Have no earthly idea. But I guess some races have to try to make up for small penis by trying to ridicule another, or trolling, or whatever. Maybe we'll see you around on the pro pool tour.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was not making fun of you. I just did not understand your post.
And being new here and telling people to GTFO is not very nice.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Answer to the OP's question (I think, lol)....Schon has rehashed/reused previous designs over the years. No cause for alarm.

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he is just asking you to eschew obfuscation.

Actually, that's nearly what was said. Close enough for hand grenades. So there were three posters, rather, (I think - I'm estimating - three amongst all the garbage so-called "responses") now who made honest attempts at assisting. My thanks to those three.
The questions I (somewhat obliquely) posed will be answered, in due time, of course. No biggie. I generally really like Schon cues - I'm pretty sure I do anyway.. I might even buy one. Mortuary Mike has been real helpful to me as his time permits but Schon is outside his scope. I could write Schon, I think. "Evan" is whom I might ask, apparently, but another few minutes "research" on my part might make clearer if correspondence w/ Schon as a company is apt.
I'm grateful for the three tidbits (and at least one was a try at full thoroughness I think) and of course will call T. B. or somebody if it comes to it, and although one of his entry level Hueblers (he thinks) will likely suit; I really try avoid burdening any one person too much. MM has been gracious and generous of his expertise, and surely admire the Coker cues but...well...they're beautiful like nearly all genuine custom cues I've seen but...if I could afford a 4 digit cue or two or three or four this week ... Terry and/or Mike seem quite helpful and reasonable like all good red-blooded Americans it seems ... at least the majority of the time ... I can get almost on their wavelength after some homework and the conversation isn't lengthy - which inevitably might lose me in the minutia if too involved. One kind European or Asian gal here at AZB sent me a nicely detailed (in terms of hyperlinks) explanatory PM (on a totally unrelated subject) which I'd solicited, and she surely didn't see any need to deride me for the nature of my good/bad/indifferent prose for better or for worse.
If I said (or implied) ANYTHING disparaging WHATSOEVER about any "local" Schon SL-7 I did so out of honest naivete'; but the fact is, the diamond inlays are of obvious lesser precision, although the rest of the cue might be of greater, and I believe the seller is offering EXACTLY what he believes to be of the true quality of the cue - which he and I both agreed was very near "95% condition" w/ a perfect condition shaft and nearly perfect butt in terms of nicks/dings (but maybe not urethane?) and identified as an "SL-7" ... my offering to him (in cash in person) was maybe 25% under his rock bottom, and we parted company amicably and I left his home without any nasty commentary from him RE diction/syntax. Anyhow, that cue is absolutely not presently being marketed publicly - is my impression. It may be sold later, it might not. FWIW he told me, and I quote, "Because of the provenance of the cue, it's worth more," and I mentioned "Yes, I can see that the history of the cue may have some bearing - sadly I've no more disposable income at this point or maybe even this month." Anybody who doesn't know the meaning of any words in the former few clauses - or wouldn't bother w/ a lexicon - maybe should consider sticking to pool and not school. Nothing personal, If one were to ask politely, I'm sure I'd have no problem explaining to the best of my ability if my use of the subjunctive is inept. I mightn't be the best composer of notes in my neighborhood, but I don't hammer those encountered (randomly) for using "two bit words" no matter how perspicacious we'd all "so desperately want to appear." Jeez. If pool/billiards and/or my life revolved around a massive vocabulary then things might be different. Anyhow, a few jerks have tried to hijack this inquiry for some weird reason, but I'm not knowledgeable of "inside baseball" any more or less than "inside pool" so I suppose it's anybody's guess.

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not making fun of you. I just did not understand your post.
And being new here and telling people to GTFO is not very nice.

You were making fun of me? Why would you try to do that? What were you actually
contributing? You seem unclear.

Whuddaya mean "new here" As far as I know you're new here ... this is my thread FWIW so YOU are new here LOL
how do u know i'm new? whadaya follow a new guy or something? i go for gals, not guys, i don't necessarily dig it too much being followed around - new or old - by a fella. so there's "old here" i spse how old r u? respect for elders?

squatters rights?

i guess if somebody spends all their time on a forum they're "old here" and suck up to whomever they please and try to be asinine to whomever? should i care?. really don't. why should I? .. there's never much interest whatsoever in old here. especially not "nice" old guys here who want to give candy to the new boy here or some utterly weird thing ... no siree bob nope you musta got me confused w/ somebody else ... "gee i own this block and give out candy to the new guys" nope, not me, doesn't pertain...i can't figure for the life of me what YOU contributed to this here little "nice" discussion

Last edited:

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer to the OP's question (I think, lol)....Schon has rehashed/reused previous designs over the years. No cause for alarm.

Thank you Sean. What you've mentioned seems consistent w/ the one or two responses thus far. I was under the impression someone (at some point) who's really into Schon might know the chronology of how/when the diamond inlays got "fuzzier";
HOWEVER, as you've put "no alarm" (I'd tend to think makes good sense) then maybe the variations of the SL-7 in time are literally inconsequential in any/every respect. NONETHELESS it (the local cue) is indeed an SL-7 and not an R-12 (as one poster nearly suggested it might be). I firmly believed it was not an R-12 from the get-go. ... Blue Book, palmercues.com, several posts at AZB &tc. all helped make that abundantly clear (I think). I appreciate it Sean, beings I'm almost (or maybe even fully) able to say, "case closed." If there were any greater detail RE the provenance of subtle design flux w/r/t the SL-7 (or SL series in general) and someone kindly posted it (if it existed) that's cool, and if not, that's cool too.
Best,
Paul