Broken bumper

heinosuke1

Registered
I was hand-tightening a bumper when suddenly the head snapped off of the rubber screw. What would be the most advisable way for me to retrieve the body from the cue? The head snapped off in such a manner as to leave the body somewhat flush to the bottom of the cue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I was hand-tightening a bumper when suddenly the head snapped off of the rubber screw. What would be the most advisable way for me to retrieve the body from the cue? The head snapped of in such a manner as to leave the body somewhat flush to the bottom of the cue. Thanks in advance.

Yep...Tell you what I did to make it work. I use the threaded 3/8-16 style bumper in all my cues and occasionally one gets broke off by either someone just trying to pull it out or someone over tightening it when screwing it in.
I took a long "deck" screw, 2-1/2 inch or 3" long and had to grind a thin slot up and down it 180 degrees from each other coming off the point of the screw. Without the slots, the screw would just go into the rubber and back out without grabbing the rubber stem to allow it to unscrew itself when you are trying to reverse it out. I used a dremel tool with a very thin metal cutting blade to make the slots in the screw.
Good luck.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the slots don't work, would a small amount of CA glue to bond the screw to the rubber be a bad idea?

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If the slots don't work, would a small amount of CA glue to bond the screw to the rubber be a bad idea?

Maybe......you would have to be very careful not to get any glue on the threads and compound the problem even worse. I tried several different ways and the slots on the screw worked best for me.
Cut the slots at just a bit of an angle as to put little fish hooks on the screw threads.