2020 American 14.1 Championship

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know when this tournament will be held in 2020 and who to contact to register to play- if it is not all invitational? I see a website with only 2019 information.
Thanks!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know when this tournament will be held in 2020 and who to contact to register to play- if it is not all invitational? I see a website with only 2019 information.
Thanks!
The information I have is this for Oct./Nov. tournaments:

Oct. 14-18 World Pool Championships (9-Ball, Matchroom) location TBD
Oct. 23-24 International 1 Pocket Open, Norfolk, VA (just saw this one on the AZB calendar)
Oct. 25-31 International Open 9-Ball, Norfolk, VA
Nov. 1-5 American Straight Pool Championship, Virginia Beach, VA
Nov. 8-15 World 8-Ball Championship, Malaysia

This has changed very recently, but I think these dates are correct now.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks- how do you find out this information? There were no dates on their website that I saw today. do you know who to contact about this tournament?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
contact Peter Burroghs at Peterpool@comcast.net

In the past, I think Peter Burrows has had a number of qualifiers. He has a limited field, like 42 or 48 so entry is by invitation or sometimes qualification. Since the entry fee is relatively low (about $300), entry to a qualifier can be inexpensive. But someone has to step up and run a qualifier.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks- how do you find out this information? There were no dates on their website that I saw today. do you know who to contact about this tournament?
I'm on a particular email list.

The dates were decided just this week because there were major conflicts on the international schedule. Those conflicts were finally resolved. I will keep my fingers crossed that something else does not come up.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I contacted Pete- interesting response- basically it is an invitational event, but if there were openings, he said they would want bona fide 100 ball runners- not clear if that meant someone who could run a 100 every day or once a year - or on 4/12 or 5 inch pockets- big difference IMO. Also, that person would be expected to pony up some $$$ to enter- sounds fair to me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The American 14.1 for 2020 has been cancelled. The next edition is planned for the same position on the calendar -- right after Pat Fleming's International 9-Ball. The straight pool will be October 31 to November 4, 2021:

CropperCapture[622].jpg

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's unfortunate it had to be cancelled. One of my favorite 14.1 players was Oliver Ortmann. Any idea why he stopped crossing the ocean to play in these events?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes cancelled, just got the email. Not sure on Oliver- my guess is that he is around early 50s; seems like many 14.1 guys stopped competing in 14.1 when they get to the 50s age category. Tough for them to maintain that focus for a full week as those 14'1 tournaments demand for hours at a time in each match and for long periods at the table without a break if you are running balls.

!4.1 is very different from most other popular pool games in that success usually requires uninterrupted focus for much longer time periods. A 75 all run can take up to an hour of uninterrupted table focus. Much more difficult at age 50s thru 70s then 20s they 40s in terms of mental stamina -try it in a full week 14.1 tournament. so I think some pros just sort of retire from that tournament scene when they know best days for them have passed.

I still find it relatively easy at age 67 to maintain focus running 9 or 10 balls or an 8 ball rack. I find it a much bigger challenge now at this age to maintain focus over a 14 ball rack requiring pinpoint position play and then staying at the table for rack after continuous rack on longer runs. Of course running 50 to 100 balls is entirely within anyone's capacity regardless of age if skilled enough; but doing that for several days in a tournament setting becomes more difficult with age. No one is going to win these 14.1 tournaments unless they can really run balls for several days in a row - the Europeans run a lot of balls with their wide open style of play- nip and tuck play won't get you to the finals. Guys like Shane, etc. are also great shotmakers and just shoot their way into higher runs as well

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes cancelled, just got the email. Not sure on Oliver- my guess is that he is around early 50s; seems like many 14.1 guys stopped competing in 14.1 when they get to the 50s age category. Tough for them to maintain that focus for a full week as those 14'1 tournaments demand for hours at a time in each match and for long periods at the table without a break if you are running balls.

!4.1 is very different from most other popular pool games in that success usually requires uninterrupted focus for much longer time periods. A 75 all run can take up to an hour of uninterrupted table focus. Much more difficult at age 50s thru 70s then 20s they 40s in terms of mental stamina -try it in a full week 14.1 tournament. so I think some pros just sort of retire from that tournament scene when they know best days for them have passed.

I still find it relatively easy at age 67 to maintain focus running 9 or 10 balls or an 8 ball rack. I find it a much bigger challenge now at this age to maintain focus over a 14 ball rack requiring pinpoint position play and then staying at the table for rack after continuous rack on longer runs. Of course running 50 to 100 balls is entirely within anyone's capacity regardless of age if skilled enough; but doing that for several days in a tournament setting becomes more difficult with age. No one is going to win these 14.1 tournaments unless they can really run balls for several days in a row - the Europeans run a lot of balls with their wide open style of play- nip and tuck play won't get you to the finals. Guys like Shane, etc. are also great shotmakers and just shoot their way into higher runs as well

I suspect he still has a very high gear in 14.1 and I'm thinking either the cost of travel is to high or his back is giving him problems again.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I didn't realize Ortmann had ever played in this event, formerly known as the Maryland State 14.1 Championship. As I remember it, he played in the Dragon 14.1 events from 2006-2011, and just once after that in his 14.1 Hall of Fame induction year. Even in his prime, he didn't often compete in either 9-ball or 14.1 in America. He was, of course, a major force in European pool and had his share of successes in WPA sanctioned events internationally.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Ortmann ever played in this event. I think the poster just misses seeing him play 14.1. Doubt Oliver would ever make the trip here again for A 14.1 event; unless it was a personal challenge for him.