2014 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Changed my grip and it's raining 50's, too bad don't have time to play :)
Ran 66 on 2nd July. No video.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a 59 yesterday in league. It was not perfect straight pool, and included the following break shots.

The one from the head spot was a favorite of Irving Crane's and requires you to get an accurate angle on the shot. As shown I was about four inches off -- it's better to have about a half-ball cut. I managed to hit the top two balls and come out to the center of the table which is how Irv used to play it. As long as you have good outside english the shot is nearly automatic.

For the other shot I managed to avoid my usual tendency of over-spinning the ball and missing the rack.
CropperCapture[77].png

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Finally had some time to hit some balls today, after my hiatus. Wasn't able to put anything together of note but it was nice to get back on the table for a short while.

Nice shooting to everyone for puting up some real nice numbers, hopefully soon I'll have a number to add to the list !!!

-Steve

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
114 last night

Sorry, no video, but I put up a 114 last night, and to boot, it was an action match (a little sumpin'-sumpin' on it ;) )! It was a 125-point game, and almost ran the match out from my opponent's break (which leaked out a ball into perfect break-ball position, and I had a "come with it" long-distance shot to start the run).

This time, instead of my usual boneheadedness in missing an easy shot to end the run, I played safe after pocketing the 114th ball, because I was in a bad position and wasn't about to take a flyer. A little safety battle ensued, my opponent and I tickying off of the rack in alternating fashion, until my opponent leaked a ball, allowing me to run the last 11 balls of the match.

Quite proud of this performance in the heat of real competition!
-Sean

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Sorry, no video, but I put up a 114 last night, and to boot, it was an action match (a little sumpin'-sumpin' on it ;) )! It was a 125-point game, and almost ran the match out from my opponent's break (which leaked out a ball into perfect break-ball position, and I had a "come with it" long-distance shot to start the run).

This time, instead of my usual boneheadedness in missing an easy shot to end the run, I played safe after pocketing the 114th ball, because I was in a bad position and wasn't about to take a flyer. A little safety battle ensued, my opponent and I tickying off of the rack in alternating fashion, until my opponent leaked a ball, allowing me to run the last 11 balls of the match.

-Sean

Nice Shooting Bro, and in competition no less !!! That trumps my high competitive run !!!

Keep up the great shooting, seems that things are clicking with you !!

-Steve :thumbup:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

-Sean

Congrats, Sean. Sounds like a good match. Wise decision to play it smart at 114.

:thumbup:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi folks! Thanks for the very kind words. Apologies for getting back to this thread late; some of you might've seen on Facebook that I spent most of the day yesterday with the wife in the emergency room, to treat an animal bite.

Back on topic, the 114 is my new "pressure" run -- i.e. run during actual match conditions, and not merely practice. Quite proud of it, and as Dennis mentions -- ending it with a safety, not my usual boneheaded way of ending a run on a miss.

Thanks again for the kind words, folks!
-Sean

P.S. to Steve: yup, not playing half bad at the moment. Many things in life to be thankful for. :) And to Mike, you bet -- as soon as I know I'll be in the Dallas area, I'll holler! ;)

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Hi folks! Thanks for the very kind words. Apologies for getting back to this thread late; some of you might've seen on Facebook that I spent most of the day yesterday with the wife in the emergency room, to treat an animal bite.

Back on topic, the 114 is my new "pressure" run -- i.e. run during actual match conditions, and not merely practice. Quite proud of it, and as Dennis mentions -- ending it with a safety, not my usual boneheaded way of ending a run on a miss.

Thanks again for the kind words, folks!
-Sean

P.S. to Steve: yup, not playing half bad at the moment. Many things in life to be thankful for. :) And to Mike, you bet -- as soon as I know I'll be in the Dallas area, I'll holler! ;)

In match play, that run is huge. Hundreds of players are capable of running a century in their basement but not many can do it like that. Well done, very well done indeed! :thumbup:

st_michael

"BUTTER"
Silver Member
Just started back up again and ran 30 balls last week... My goal is to break 100 this year... joining a 14.1 league next month to get me more involved with the game...

Revision! I just did 57 balls tonight on my home table... Slow cloth 8 foot Brunswick

I have a new HIGH run for my personal best... 80 Ball Run... I did an 18 run missed then continued to pocket 80 until I missed on my break shot... a bit too much of an angle... 100 balls is getting close... just around the corner...

Video Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Nv84G0RdvnRU14TFF1U09wbE0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
In match play, that run is huge. Hundreds of players are capable of running a century in their basement but not many can do it like that. Well done, very well done indeed! :thumbup:

Thanks, Mikko! I have to admit, the patterns weren't pretty due to the table being lightning-fast (at times, the run resembled what I'd call "9-ball straight pool" where I had to let my cue ball go because I had bad angles). But I was able to recover, and reign it back into normal patterns. If I had film footage, I'd put a disclaimer to it as "here's how NOT to play straight pool." I guess the saving quality is that just when my opponent thought I was in trouble and he'd get back to the table, I'd focus with a recovery shot and he'd slump back in the chair. :eek:

I'll have to shop around for a small tripod mount for my Samsung Galaxy so I can start getting runs captured. Obviously for practice runs only, as I'm sure action partners ain't going to like being recorded. ;)

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a new HIGH run for my personal best... 80 Ball Run... I did an 18 run missed then continued to pocket 80 until I missed on my break shot... a bit too much of an angle... 100 balls is getting close... just around the corner...

Video Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Nv84G0RdvnRU14TFF1U09wbE0/edit?usp=sharing

Wow, congrats on a new high run!! News on a new high run is always a pleasure to read. At work at the moment, but will view the video later.

Again, congrats!
-Sean

st_michael

"BUTTER"
Silver Member
Wow, congrats on a new high run!! News on a new high run is always a pleasure to read. At work at the moment, but will view the video later.

Again, congrats!
-Sean

Thanks Sean.... I was not able to get in the 14.1 league here... but been playing since January pretty solid... starting to get me game back to what I felt it was years ago... now trying to better myself...

Any suggestions on my game is always welcomed...

Thanks Michael

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Andy put me up a little higher.Had my highest run this year tonight with a 187 on a 9ft. Diamond at Hardtimes Woodbridge.