Mosconi Cup: Nine-Ball, Big Pockets, Short Races

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mention it every year. The most exciting, interesting, and successful event in our sport, the Mosconi Cup, chooses to host short races playing nine-ball, alternate breaks on generous tables. Looks right to me. I don't see ten-ball, long sets, winner breaks, on stingie tables, a path to growth and popularity.

It's called the Mosconi Cup, but I don't think Willie would have
liked the format and tables... he'd probably want 14.1, 9 ball,
and One Pocket, best 2 out of three, on a challenging table.

Those pockets are BUCKETS.

And Sky's hair ? Gumby called, he wants his haircut back.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I said in another post, I don't really care (or want for that matter) pool to be too successful. I like it right where it is.

I agree and have said similar things before. Sure pool getting big and becoming a mainstream or semi-mainstream sport similar to snooker would be great for the professional players, but for me personally there would be some drawbacks. The laid back atmosphere at tournaments and the ability to casually meet and talk with the best players would be gone. It would be more organized, formal, and almost certainly corporate. Forget being able to stay at the venue and gamble and match up all night like at the Derby now. The accessibility and candidness of the players would be a thing of the past. Small independent cue and equipment makers would be gone.

One benefit might be that increased interest in the sport overall would lead to more and better rooms opening up across the country.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Dream Team for the Mosconi

Jimmy Mataya
Keith McCready
Cornbread Red
UJ Puckett
Ronnie Allen
Rudolf Wanderone as the coach

The Mosconi Cup could get syndicated.

Color commentator...Mike Sigel....partnered by Mike Sigel

Produced by Mike Sigel, directed by, Mike Sigel, financial backing provided by, Mike Sigel
(A wholly owned subsidiary of Mike Sigel Enterprises)

Now back to you, Mike..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You mean like the MASSIVE(5.25") pocket 4x8 he ran his RECORD run on??? Give me a break.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

:thumbup:

I was thinking yesterday that there should be woman at least carrying the pool cues into the playing area.....kind of like the ring girls at UFC fights.

You need something?.....just ask for Terry Hanna

11F2C8FD-5B00-49AB-A773-B7251A556AEE.jpeg

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This might be the dumbest post of the year - slamming big pockets while praising Willie Mosconi, who set his records on big pockets.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish we had Rick Flair there cheering us on. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes.

Just think of him or Hulk Hogan grabbing one of the Brits by the scruff of the neck and stuffing their head into one of the table pockets :)

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Times have changed and the pockets for this year's MC are not up to today's professional standards.

Lou Figueroa
4.5 corners. Friend of a friend is there and check'd. How tight do you want them? The cloth and the light make its slick as ice and everything goes. Seen same thing on tv table at DCC one year.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5 corners. Friend of a friend is there and check'd. How tight do you want them? The cloth and the light make its slick as ice and everything goes. Seen same thing on tv table at DCC one year.

I think you know it's not just about a 4.5" measurement. The pockets are just playing absurd.

I have been to the DCC going back to the EW days and I have stacks and stacks of DVDs and even video from the DCC TV table from over the years. And I've never seen pockets like this in person at that event on any of the DVDs or video.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
K66 cushions instead of the larger K55.
Shallow shelves.
Someone measure the opening angle.
Might be a lot less than 141*.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree and have said similar things before. Sure pool getting big and becoming a mainstream or semi-mainstream sport similar to snooker would be great for the professional players, but for me personally there would be some drawbacks. The laid back atmosphere at tournaments and the ability to casually meet and talk with the best players would be gone. It would be more organized, formal, and almost certainly corporate. Forget being able to stay at the venue and gamble and match up all night like at the Derby now. The accessibility and candidness of the players would be a thing of the past. Small independent cue and equipment makers would be gone.

One benefit might be that increased interest in the sport overall would lead to more and better rooms opening up across the country.

When the 9 ball world championship organised by Matchroom had a first prize of $100k over ten years ago you could meet and talk to the players and gamble to your hearts content.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line: I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to next year. Hats off and thank you to Barry Hearn and his team.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
When the 9 ball world championship organised by Matchroom had a first prize of $100k over ten years ago you could meet and talk to the players and gamble to your hearts content.

That's really not a good example. That's one 100k tournament out of a bunch of events that have world class players competing for a less then 10k prize.

Compare it to golf. Pro golfers are celebrities and nowhere near as approachable as pro pool players. They have multiple events that pay over 1 million to first place. Not to mention the lowest payouts in golf events pay more then first place events on pool.

It's not just about 1 event paying 100k to 1 guy. It's about all events paying a lot to everyone and making a millionaire out of the top spots.

If whatever happens that raises pools popularity to that level, it will be televised every weekend at a time slot that doesn't conflict with football because people are going to want to watch it. The players will become household names among people who aren't pool players... (Not just that black widow lady). With that, they will become celebrities and no longer be approachable. You will get big names manufacturing equipment and probably making it harder for decent custom cuemaker to make a living. You will have more Poolhalls that look more like Dave and Buster's then an actual poolhalls with overly friendly equipment and really high table rates. All summer you will have every 13 to 17 year old high school kids with no responsibility in life learning to play the game and in a year they will be giving you the 8 and busting your ass.

These are the reasons I like pool where it is.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's really not a good example. That's one 100k tournament out of a bunch of events that have world class players competing for a less then 10k prize.

Compare it to golf. Pro golfers are celebrities and nowhere near as approachable as pro pool players. They have multiple events that pay over 1 million to first place. Not to mention the lowest payouts in golf events pay more then first place events on pool.

It's not just about 1 event paying 100k to 1 guy. It's about all events paying a lot to everyone and making a millionaire out of the top spots.

If whatever happens that raises pools popularity to that level, it will be televised every weekend at a time slot that doesn't conflict with football because people are going to want to watch it. The players will become household names among people who aren't pool players... (Not just that black widow lady). With that, they will become celebrities and no longer be approachable. You will get big names manufacturing equipment and probably making it harder for decent custom cuemaker to make a living. You will have more Poolhalls that look more like Dave and Buster's then an actual poolhalls with overly friendly equipment and really high table rates. All summer you will have every 13 to 17 year old high school kids with no responsibility in life learning to play the game and in a year they will be giving you the 8 and busting your ass.

You are grossly over-exaggerating things here. Pool can get much bigger than it is without any of those things happening.

You realize they still have snooker clubs in the UK that are similar to our pool halls where you can go hang out, drink and gamble.

All summer you will have every 13 to 17 year old high school kids with no responsibility in life learning to play the game and in a year they will be giving you the 8 and busting your ass.

So not, only do you not want pool to grow, and players to make more money. You also don't want young players to get better?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
You are grossly over-exaggerating things here. Pool can get much bigger than it is without any of those things happening.

You realize they still have snooker clubs in the UK that are similar to our pool halls where you can go hang out, drink and gamble.

So not, only do you not want pool to grow, and players to make more money. You also don't want young players to get better?

I'm not sure how to respond to you. I'm going to be honest, I've probably typed out a long response and deleted it and re-written it about 5 times already and I'm typing this really not trying to come off like an asshole because I respect your opinion about wanting pool to get better, but I know that you do not respect mine about wanting it to stay where it is.

To answer your question about wanting kids to improve... I can say that I am not going to actively push to get my kids involved in the game. If they want to learn and want my help, I will give them whatever advice they need as I want to see my children succeed an anything they do.

I know that is kind of a half ass answer and I know that me wanting pool to stay where it is is selfish. It's just how I feel. I'm sorry you are upset about that. I'm not mad at you or anyone else for that.

Edit to add: I gave you good rep regardless.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how to respond to you. I'm going to be honest, I've probably typed out a long response and deleted it and re-written it about 5 times already and I'm typing this really not trying to come off like an asshole because I respect your opinion about wanting pool to get better, but I know that you do not respect mine about wanting it to stay where it is.

To answer your question about wanting kids to improve... I can say that I am not going to actively push to get my kids involved in the game. If they want to learn and want my help, I will give them whatever advice they need as I want to see my children succeed an anything they do.

I know that is kind of a half ass answer and I know that me wanting pool to stay where it is is selfish. It's just how I feel. I'm sorry you are upset about that. I'm not mad at you or anyone else for that.

Edit to add: I gave you good rep regardless.

Not upset, bud. Just presenting my side of the argument. Since it seems neither of us is able to change the either's mind, and we're both mature adults, I'm okay with just dropping it.

Thanks for the rep.