Buying a Cue, I need specific advice - Please help

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one Scruggs, a Runde, two Runde Schons, a mid 70’s Joss and a high end Falcon among many others. I’ve found my present cue plays and feed like the Scruggs, but only with one of my five shafts. It is a dense old yellow shaft from the early 90’s, which happens to be a Falcon shaft. Those old Falcons had great shaftwood, IMHO. This is why I sold the Scruggs as I felt no difference in hit or playability.

I would look for an older, 70’s/80’s cue that has quality shafts. The magic is in matching the right shaft to the butt.

The older Schons are not cored and neither was my Scruggs or my present cue. I feel a non cored 4 point cue, old wood with a S.S. joint and quality shaft wood will get you where you want.

An old Joss will get you close, but not with one of their shafts.

I’d suggest looking for a cue that meets you visual aesthetic but with the darkest shaft material you can find.

My .02

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Not if he wants traditional 4 point cue

That almost sounds like you dont think Keith builds traditional 4 point cues? If thats what you're implying you're wrong. He does and has always built tradtional cues..when asked. He builds a great spliced veneered cue.

If you meant that one wont fit in his budget well that may hold water but if anyone wants to know for sure just give him a call.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Not if he wants traditional 4 point cue

Josey can make traditional 4 point. I have one. 4 needle sharp points with veneers.

Apologies for my terrible camera work with a point & shoot..:eek:

Attachments

• DSCN0232.jpg
    DSCN0232.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN0231.jpg
    DSCN0231.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 215

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another contender is Jackson. The 1512 limited edition on their website is the look you want, and within your budget.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
try a few schons when you see them
older ones
you might like them just as well
or look for another scruggs,but expect to pay more and possibly not ever see another one

bob frey made most of the sneaky petes for scruggs so if he will make you a cue
you can get exactly what you want for close to your budget

or order one and save a few hundred per month to put with your $1000 and he can make you happy with exactly what you want

i used to buy several scruggs pr month at one time, from tim and mike
now i don't remember seeing one in a couple of years

you might try the wanted section on here at az,i expect a cue like you describe might run
$2000

robkat

Registered
I was able to find a used Scruggs for $1800. Although out of my price range, it does have some of the qualities (I think) such as the 4 points, linen wrap, white butt, *vory and so on, but it has a Mikarta joint?

I've seen these on here, but have no idea if a Westinghouse Micarta joint is a good or bad thing for me? I know its personal preference, but is it better or worse overall (or more valuable I should say)

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few things to note: you're looking for a "ping-y", steel jointed, ivory ferruled, four point cue, for around a grand. I'd find a nice, second-hand Jenson. About as close to a steel joined Scruggs you'll find.

Josh

I agree and was thinking the same thing. Mike's cues have that old school Scruggs hit and feel. I have owned a few o each over the years.

-don

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was able to find a used Scruggs for $1800. Although out of my price range, it does have some of the qualities (I think) such as the 4 points, linen wrap, white butt, *vory and so on, but it has a Mikarta joint?

I've seen these on here, but have no idea if a Westinghouse Micarta joint is a good or bad thing for me? I know its personal preference, but is it better or worse overall (or more valuable I should say)

I would recommend you hold our for a steel jointed cue as the hit of a flat face non-steel jointed cue will definitely produce a different hit. Not sure where you live but you might consider going to a but tournament and hitting a few different cues before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

-don

robkat

Registered
I agree, I need to play with some, but no where around here has anything decent. I'm in The Villages, Florida, below Ocala. Without driving an hour or more, there is barely any pool halls around as it is, apparently its a dying place (sadly).

My fear is absolutely buying something I won't like, but I do feel that a Scruggs could be a wise choice, I suppose I could find a buyer on here if needed to sell it for what I paid.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not going to find a nice Scruggs cue that you want for $1200 with points & veneers and ivory ferrules.
Search high and low if you will but that is a fools errand, unless the cue in question was warped or damaged.
Tim's cues are just in demand by knowledgebale cue buyers and that keeps the market prices higher for TS cues.

Find another cue-maker and you have lots of choices. Bob Frey was recommended and he's really a excellent cue-maker.
Another person to consider is Bob Owen and if you expand your budget a bit, he could build a great cue as would others.
I own a Scruggs cue and a couple of Owen cues. Bob's cues actually do play just as nice as TS cues as I've found out.

robkat

Registered
I think I have come to the realization that I cannot find a Scruggs cue for under $1,500 in good shape and certainly not less than $2,000 for one I want. So again, the choice is to wait and save or buy something really nice for $1,000 and then trade up.

I have found 2 Scruggs cues that are superb in condition, has some of the style I want and both under $2,000. Perhaps i'm just being picky that when I buy one, the one I really want will be found.

I'd pay more for the right cue, just haven't found it yet I guess.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Josey can make traditional 4 point. I have one. 4 needle sharp points with veneers.

Apologies for my terrible camera work with a point & shoot..:eek:

I stand corrected, my apologies. Never seen points from Keith, pretty sweet.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I agree, I need to play with some, but no where around here has anything decent. I'm in The Villages, Florida, below Ocala. Without driving an hour or more, there is barely any pool halls around as it is, apparently its a dying place (sadly).

My fear is absolutely buying something I won't like, but I do feel that a Scruggs could be a wise choice, I suppose I could find a buyer on here if needed to sell it for what I paid.

Rob if you are in Florida, you definitely need to get in touch with Bill Lister. Not sure where exactly in Florida he is but has tons of cues for sale. Believe his website to view his stuff and contact him is www.billiardbills.com

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have come to the realization that I cannot find a Scruggs cue for under $1,500 in good shape and certainly not less than $2,000 for one I want. So again, the choice is to wait and save or buy something really nice for $1,000 and then trade up.

I have found 2 Scruggs cues that are superb in condition, has some of the style I want and both under $2,000. Perhaps i'm just being picky that when I buy one, the one I really want will be found.

I'd pay more for the right cue, just haven't found it yet I guess.
Billiardbills.com has one in great shape for $1299...but it’s a Merry Widow. So what do you want more? the hit/feel, the look, or the name of the maker?

robkat

Registered
The Helmstetter on there is actually a really nice looking cue... I don't know the comparison, but i'm guessing Helmstetter is not nearly the quality of a Scruggs?

I know the name, meaning they have been around longer, but rarely do I see "collectible" or highly valuable ones like Tim's.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
James White

Deanoc has a cue for sale that sounds exactly what you want, probably better, he guarantees everything he sells and I think he even will work out a payment plan for you, check with him, he's 100%.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or buy something really nice for $1,000 and then trade up.

I would caution against buying less than what you want and assuming you'll recover that expense when you "trade up". The cue market is not what it was 20 years ago. You said that you own a cue that you love to play with. My free advice (worth what you paid for it) would be to wait and get what you really want.