View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
Gorramjayne
AzB Silver Member
Gorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond reputeGorramjayne has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
My CB noticeably swerves (to my eyes) when I have top spin. Even more so than when I have bottom spin.
Are you playing an LD shaft?

Note that your front end mass of the cue pushes the CB away from it, so just as it causes left/right squirt, it can push the CB into/away from the slate and increase/decrease initial friction with the cloth at the moment the CB takes off. So with a non-LD shaft a lot of top will momentarily push the CB into the cloth as the CB takes off which may cause the swerve you're observing, whereas a low hit will push the CB up away from the cloth so the spin doesn't take immediately and the swerve is slightly delayed.

Basically the lower the deflection of your shaft, the higher you can hit without squirt AND swerve affecting your line, and with a 13mm+ high deflection shaft you can cheat swerve by hitting a little lower.

Mind also that most shots you line up with BHE you're going to pop pretty hard to avoid swerve which is not great for controlling CB placement.. I personally find that if I'm in a situation where I'm tempted to use BHE it's because I did something wrong with CB control on the previous shot.

That may not sound helpful, but in all reality you can drastically reduce your dependence on all forms of english, including parallel, by really mastering your follow and draw control, some of this may be helped by finding a way to forward-weight your cue a little bit more.