YOUR Nominations: 2018 8th 14.1 Hall of Fame

koreandragon

Banned
Gold Member
36635926_1799177550171834_1594290971216969728_n.jpg

Send your nominations NOW!
Who will be inducted into this year's Straight Pool Hall of Fame?? Aug 15th Dinner Banquet $60 per ticket buy at tinyurl.com/8thhof limited to first 100. Pay per view EARLY BIRD special ALL Event pass $85 (save $20) purchase on WorldStraightPool.com!
World 141 Club members get more voting points! JOIN!

BottleDeck.net 78th Edition of the World 14.1.
Aug 13-19,2018 The SPOT Nanuet.
48 invited pros and qualifier winners. Register your entries now! Call 407-782-4978

Where History matters.

*Support and join the World 141 Club at worldstraightpool.com
Upcoming Qualifiers :
July 7 - 7th NJ 14.1 Open at Sandcastle Billiards
July 14 - 5th NAPL NYC 14.1 July 14 at Amsterdam Billiards only for NAPL players.
JULY 29 - NY 14.1 Open at The SPOT Nanuet
World 14.1 Player invitations have gone out. Register your spot ASAP. If you are interested in playing contact us ASAP.
Get ready to get your 14.1 on!

Hilton Garden Inn Nanuet is the Official Hotel $119 Group Code: WSA World Sports Alumni
Call 845-623-0600

Some tournaments come and go.
The Champions of the World 14.1 are never forgotten

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Announced today!
Am I missing something, or how come I am not seeing Mike Sigel, Thorsten Hohmann, Cisero Murphy or Babe Cranfield on that list of 14.1 HOF members showing on the left side of the 14.1 HOF page? I assume they all four surely must already be 14.1 HOF members, so someone needs to redo that page of the website to correct this. I also find it hard to believe "The Miz" did not make it until last year.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Am I missing something, or how come I am not seeing Mike Sigel, Thorsten Hohmann, Cisero Murphy or Babe Cranfield on that list of 14.1 HOF members showing on the left side of the 14.1 HOF page? I assume they all four surely must already be 14.1 HOF members, so someone needs to redo that page of the website to correct this. I also find it hard to believe "The Miz" did not make it until last year.

It’s been goofy every year. I seem to ask the same basic question every year.

Danny Barouty is in. Great player, but for Danny to get in before so many players? Embarrassing.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It’s been goody every year. I seem to ask the same basic question every year.

Danny Barouty is in. Great player, but for Danny to get in before so many players? Embarrassing.

Make the list Freddie I’ll put it on a slab and nail it up somewhere high in the cloud where the halls located.
4d7da39a6e59a0368199a87d14339c32.jpg

I gots biggly huge nails haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel! It's nice to see that Steve Mizerak finally got in last year. He's only the greatest Straight Pool player of the modern era. Sigel is second.
Lou Butera would be another good choice, since he could beat most of the guys who are in there. :wink:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s been goody every year. I seem to ask the same basic question every year.

So I am correct here? Cranfield, Sigel, Murphy, Butera and Hohmann are not in this so called 14.1 HOF yet, but Hunter and Margo are? Sorry, but it makes it kind of difficult for me to give much credibility to this organization when considering these glaring omissions up to this point in time.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Danny Barouty is in. Great player, but for Danny to get in before so many players? Embarrassing.

As we discussed last year, Barouty is in this Hall's "Unsung Hero" category rather than their "Greatest Player" category. And there is certainly lots of room for debate as to what should be (have been) the order of induction in both categories.

And repeating what I wrote last year -- I had problems from the start with the actual existence of Dragon's hall of fame. But I kind of made my peace with it because it has, and will, lead to honoring some of the guys who have been important to 14.1 but who will not make it into the BCA HOF.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As we discussed last year, Barouty is in this Hall's "Unsung Hero" category rather than their "Greatest Player" category. And there is certainly lots of room for debate as to what should be (have been) the order of induction in both categories.

And repeating what I wrote last year -- I had problems from the start with the actual existence of Dragon's hall of fame. But I kind of made my peace with it because it has, and will, lead to honoring some of the guys who have been important to 14.1 but who will not make it into the BCA HOF.
Your last sentence would make some sense, only if none of the members of this 14.1 HOF were in the BCA HOF, which however is not the case. That is what's so confusing about this.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I am correct here? Cranfield, Sigel, Murphy, Butera and Hohmann are not in this so called 14.1 HOF yet, but Hunter and Margo are? Sorry, but it makes it kind of difficult for me to give much credibility to this organization when considering these glaring omissions up to this point in time.

I second you on Cicero Murphy! He beat Mosconi in his last tourney appearance in Los Angeles back in the 60's. What about Joe Balsis, surely he must be in there!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your last sentence would make some sense, only if none of the members of this 14.1 HOF were in the BCA HOF, which however is not the case. That is what's so confusing about this.

Well, I don't think it would be sensible to have a separate 14.1 HOF that was only for guys not in the BCA HOF.

This separate 14.1 HOF will eventually (if this effort survives) include all the greatest 14.1 players plus the slightly lesser players and other guys who were important to the game but probably will not ever make it into the BCA HOF.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't think it would be sensible to have a separate 14.1 HOF that was only for guys not in the BCA HOF.

This separate 14.1 HOF will eventually (if this effort survives) include all the greatest 14.1 players plus the slightly lesser players and other guys who were important to the game but probably will not ever make it into the BCA HOF.

I hate to put in my opinion since I’ve been a voting member of the BCA HoF, but to get away from these discussons, maybe all the 14.1 players already in the BCA HoF should have been automatically put in. Or something that doesn’t put in someone well before three or six of the most worthy 14.1 Hall of Fame candidates .

This just becomes sillier every year. Unlike the One Pocket Hall of Fame, the BCA Hall of Fame was totally focused on 14.1 before the modern 9-ball era. Every one of those players should be in anyone’s 14.1 HoF, and they should be in before adding others, IMO.

How the hell is Sigel not in??? Balsis??? C’mon, there’s no excuse.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we agree on Mike Sigel, Cicero Murphy and Joe Balsis. Only three of the greatest Straight Pool players of all time.
Yes, and Cranfield and Butera should be in as well. Just seems strange that more modern era players such as Oliver Ortmann and Bobby Hunter have made it in to this 14.1 HOF in the greatest player category before any of these other legends.

I agree with Fred's solution - go ahead and immediately add all the current BCA HOF members not currently in this HOF, who were proven 14.1 champions, who have mostly all passed with the exception of Sigel, then they can vote each year to add other various proven 14.1 players who may likely never make the BCA HOF, as they apparently have been doing.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... to get away from these discussons, maybe all the 14.1 players already in the BCA HoF should have been automatically put in.

I agree; and I recommended that to Dragon many years ago. Shortly thereafter (I don't know whether it had anything to do with my recommendation) they announced that they would be picking up the deceased stars through "group inductions by decade."