Dust Pickup for Metal Lathe

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would anyone be willing to share photos of their dust collection setup for a metal lathe?

I have a 36 inch Enco gear head lathe that I use with a router mounted on the tool post, on the operator side of the cue being turned down.

I considered a plexiglas box but it would seem to be truly bulky to allow the carriage to move down the bed.

Currently, I use a fiberglass enclosure around the router that has a hole for the cue to pass through and there is a portable dust collector attached to this fiberglass box. Too much dust and chips escape through the hole where the cue goes through. Ay one time, I had some rubber strips like fingers that lay over the hole but they got in the way and were not that useful.

I know there must be a good solution. I hope you can help me solve this problem.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When did he go out of business? I had exchanged info with him late in 18 and still making all the items shown, unless something changed just recently!

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up speaking with Tom right after my posting here, he is still happily doing business and making products with certain restraints, he did mention that he thinks that he does have a few dust boxes on hand, so you might want to try and reach out to him

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up speaking with Tom right after my posting here, he is still happily doing business and making products with certain restraints, he did mention that he thinks that he does have a few dust boxes on hand, so you might want to try and reach out to him

I did reach out to hi and he told me not available, so which is it, he does or does not have them?

Perhaps that came off as harsh but I did contact him by email. His reply "No, sorry".

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall what he said if had them in stock or not, but did say unless he had orders for like 5 he probably wouldn't build any due to the cost involved with making them versus what he sells them for.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall what he said if had them in stock or not, but did say unless he had orders for like 5 he probably wouldn't build any due to the cost involved with making them versus what he sells them for.

depending on the cost, I'd buy one too

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would anyone be willing to share photos of their dust collection setup for a metal lathe?

I have a 36 inch Enco gear head lathe that I use with a router mounted on the tool post, on the operator side of the cue being turned down.

I considered a plexiglas box but it would seem to be truly bulky to allow the carriage to move down the bed.

Currently, I use a fiberglass enclosure around the router that has a hole for the cue to pass through and there is a portable dust collector attached to this fiberglass box. Too much dust and chips escape through the hole where the cue goes through. Ay one time, I had some rubber strips like fingers that lay over the hole but they got in the way and were not that useful.

I know there must be a good solution. I hope you can help me solve this problem.

Pvc with a vacuum attached is cheap and readily available.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
62863710a29486127c32fb2c33b767dc.jpg thinking of something like this.... When I get mine setup I will take pictures

Do you have a photo?