Stats -- Dennis Orcollo vs. Tony Chohan One-Pocket, September 2019

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some results from Days 3 and 4 of the Dennis Orcollo vs. Tony Chohan One-Pocket match played September 19-22, 2019 at Buffalo's Billiards in Jefferson, Louisiana. Pay-per-view live streaming was provided by PoolActionTV.

This match was a 4-day race to 40 games, with play stopping each day when the leader reached multiples of 10. The primary commentator was Josh Roberts, with some assistance from Ray Hansen, LSJohn, Bill Miller, and Mary Kenniston.

Conditions -- The conditions for this match included:
  • - Diamond 9-foot table with blue Simonis cloth;
    - Aramith Tournament balls with a measles cue ball;
    - triangle rack;
    - rack your own with alternating breaks;
    - cue ball fouls only unless 2 or more balls are moved;
    - no shot clock, and
    - lag for opening break on first day

Match results, in games (Orcollo's score first)
  • Day 1 -- 10 - 6
    Day 2 -- 10 - 7
    Day 3 -- 10 - 12
    Day 4 -- 10 - 5
    Total -- 40 - 30

NOTE -- The following stats are for Days 3 and 4 only (37 of the total of 70 games played).

Games won by breaker
  • Orcollo -- 11 of 19 (58%)
    Chohan -- 9 of 18 (50%)
    Total -- 20 of 37 (54%)

Breaks by side of table -- Orcollo broke all games from his left side of the table, and Chohan from his right side of the table.

Games won by player who scored the first point (or had it scored for him)
  • Orcollo -- 17 of 22 (77%)
    Chohan -- 12 of 15 (80%)
    Total -- 29 of 37 (78%)

Scratches on the break -- None (I may have missed one on Day 4).

Balls made on the break -- None.

Games in which the player had the lead at some point
  • Orcollo -- 26 games, his 20 wins plus 6 games he lost.
    Chohan -- 26 games, his 17 wins plus 9 games he lost.

Ball counts by length of run -- The total ball counts resulted from the following runs and fouls. Counts are given for Orcollo first, then Chohan, then the total.
  • 1 ball -- 36 times, 30 times, 66 times
    2 balls -- 12, 12, 24
    3 balls -- 6, 8, 14
    4 balls -- 7, 4, 11
    5 balls -- 2, 2, 4
    6 balls -- 1, 6, 7
    7 balls -- 5, 1, 6
    8 balls -- 5, 3, 8 (one of these runs may have been 9)
    9 balls -- 1, 1, 2
    Plus balls pocketed by opponent -- 19, 17, 36
    Minus fouls -- 22, 17, 39
    TOTAL ball count -- 203, 180. 383
    Average game score -- 8 - 2.2 for games won by Orcollo, 8 - 2.5 for games won by Chohan, 8 - 2.4 in total.

Distribution of run-outs to win the games. Counts are given for Orcollo first, then Chohan, then the total.
  • 1 ball -- 8 times, 8 times, 16 times (43% of the 37 games)
    2 balls -- 1, 3, 4
    3 balls -- 2, 1, 3
    4 balls -- 2, 0, 2
    5 balls -- 0, 0, 0
    6 balls -- 0, 1, 1
    7 balls -- 1, 0, 1
    8+ balls -- 6, 4, 10 (27%)
    Average (mean) "out" run -- 3.7 balls
    Average (median) "out" run -- 2 balls

Distribution of lengths of games (excludes Day 3's first 3 games, which took 90 minutes in total)
  • ≤10 minutes -- 8 games
    11-20 minutes -- 11
    21-30 minutes -- 6
    31-60 minutes -- 9
    61+ minutes -- 0
    Total -- 34

Match length (including racking and timeouts)
  • -Day 3 -- 8 hours, 10 minutes
    -Day 4 -- 5 hours, 47 min.
    -Total -- 13 hours, 57 min.

Average minutes per game
  • -Day 3 -- 22.3
    -Day 4 -- 23.1
    -Total -- 22.6

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You!

Thank You! Your stats are always interesting and always appreciated. Most of these were as expected but some surprises too.

Hu

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the stats
Interesting that whoever got the first ball won 77-80% of the time

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
% of banks long rail(attempts,missed)
short rail

kick shots
worked out

sold out

slop in
sqirrel safety

these would be interesting to compare the players for me

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job once again doing these Stats. :thumbup:

CMCe82S.gif

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Definitely well done and thought out. Thanks for sharing!

Are there any stats showing the number of times Tony checked his phone and texted and/or number of cigarettes smoked? He definitely crushed em in those categories. Seemed to have lost focus along the way. I like T-Rex and love his style and I know he has the talent, just maybe the drive and focus are where he could make some improvements....

Sent from my CB Radio using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Games won by player who scored the first point (or had it scored for him)
Orcollo -- 17 of 22 (77%)
Chohan -- 12 of 15 (80%)
Total -- 29 of 37 (78%)

Clearly Orcollo out moved Chohan and got the first shot most of the time.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
these stats would be meaningless to someone gambling or thinking of betting
other than the break is very strong

what stats showed tony out moved robo
or that dennis shoots better or how
which player made unforced errors or missed balls
or made or missed banks
or the result of kick shots with intention of pocketing balls

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T Rex is my favorite player i also like his style ,if there was a shot clock like 60 sec.which is ample i think it might have been a different outcome Tony is a fast shooter and he got out thunk by Dennis this time.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
T Rex is my favorite player i also like his style ,if there was a shot clock like 60 sec.which is ample i think it might have been a different outcome.

Vehemently disagree. A reduced shot clock will put more pressure on Tony's loose stroke, and it sure looked to me like Orcollo had him in a bunch more tough spots than Tony had Orcollo, which means that Tony would be the one doing most of the thinking.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
how come? ...

Players choose sides for various reasons -- handedness (ability to reach shots better from one side than the other), table rolls, how well the break is working from one side or the other, etc.

I've seen both of these players break from both sides in the past. In his match with Pagulayan in this same room last November, all 24 of Tony's breaks were from his left side. In this event, Tony broke from his left at the start of Day 1, but soon switched to the right.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
generally, and playing lefties

how come?

awesome stats tho..thanks AL!!

Generally, as has already been said, you want to shoot towards the pocket you can shoot at easiest. That means a right hander breaks on the left side of the table and a left hander on the right side so the break and remainder of the shots are easiest to reach. However, there is another thought.

I saw stat's somewhere that 17-20% of people are left handed. These people break from the right side of the table usually. Right handers break from the left side of the table giving these lefties the best pocket for them too. Almost all of the time a lefty is going to be shooting at the pocket on the left side of the table. About the only time he isn't is when he is playing another left hander, then on the other person's break he may be shooting at the right side pocket. So maybe one time in ten a lefty is playing a lefty and is shooting in the right side pocket half the time. Occasionally a right handed shooter will swap off his break for some reason but the vast majority of the time they don't.

Purely because I know that I play other right handed shooters most of the time so I do shoot at the left pocket fairly often while a left handed shooter almost never shoots at the right hand pocket, I make them shoot at the right hand pocket sometimes. It may throw them a little off balance and make them have to think more instead of relax and shoot. If nothing else, it makes them wonder why I swapped sides. Always helped playing chess if I could keep the other player off balance and one-pocket is the chess game of the pool world.

Hu

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot clock

I would take Tony to win with a 30 second or minute shot clock

How come?

It is my opinion that Dennis stalled,got up to shoot got down to shoot over 5 or six times per turn at the table

when he shot, it was obvious to practically everyone
,he would pretend to be considering some completely non sense shots

I think the stalling caused a certain anxiety or a lack of concentration, a feeling of funk loss of rhythm

give credit to Dennis if you wish,but it made me sick to watch

The biggest stat I want to see is time per shot

minutes at table

10 hours play,Tony 1 hour,Dennis 9 hours

Time pacing and getting hopes up that it is finally time to play 9 grueling hours

All the posturing,false consideration,getting ready then getting up was not genuine but affected

it worked, but who could stand to watch him play

i paid $29 to watch but could only stomach maybe 30 minutes at a time before i turned it off

The commentary seemed to pick the shot that Dennis would shoot in about 4 seconds,but
Dennis went down to shoot,back up,like he was intentionally aggravating
Tony,get his hopes up thinking"now he is going to shoot" only to see him get up walk around the table look here look there
pretending to be analyzing when there was really never anything

then get down again,then get up and walk,then get down ,then get down,then walk

One thing for sure it tortured me just to have to ait and wait while he positioned himself

He took the heart out of Tony,cast a pall on the whole boring event

Perhaps Dennis is a better player,perhaps Tony should be in better physical shape,

You could not pay me to watch Dennis play without a 45 second clock

As an aside,I was once playing a guy who did this to me,stall,examine possibilities that were obviously non possibilities

When i finally had a deep funk come on me and it occurred to me what was happening
i resorted to a reverse psychological play of my own

First I had a friend with an exceptionally voluptuously beautiful chickadee,come to the pool room and
administer neck rubs to me while my opponent was shooting,moaning things like you poor dear

This gal played this part to perfection,purred like catwoman in the Adam West Batman

You poouuur dear,purrrfect

She had some sumer time theater experience and relished her role

all this tension has you tied up in knots,let moma help you and other such drivel

I feigned complete lack of interest in he game,began ordering food and drinks,sometimes remaining seated while it was my turn to shoot

then the little lady would put chop chop on my neck or use the magic Geanie,
I put no restrictions on her,allowed her to talk while he was shooting

Flagrant sharking,I hope you guys are not disappointed in me
No one complained,they were all goo goo over the dame

when my opponent was shooting she would say things to him
like,oh you poor thing you are getting so tense,you need to lighten up,you are making yourself oh so tense

Don't take it so serious
Enjoy the game like momas boy

I hired a guy to call the fouls so I didn't have to watch all of my opponents theatrics,
I began to engage him in conversation about his thinking on his shots
I spent time trying to get more bets when it was my turn to shoot

Let him feel the heat

Why did you even consider that stupid shot,
I kinda implied it was painful seeing so much indecision,"pressure getting to you?'
First time you ever played for $10,000
lets Jack the bet and see how you do with $20,000

Finally it backfired on the theatrical psychological weapons,and he fell prey to his own strategy

By this time i had worked the room for many sizable bets, and I also had a big bodyguard red neck friend
approach the table and suggest that if there was any business going on( any dumping,intentional bad play,taking a dive)
I didn't mind playing dirty

There was going to be hell to pay
He got kinda sensitive

Pensive might be the word,and attitude I was trying to produce

I piped up,"Well,I hope you are not talking about me,I am betting my own money"why would I dump?'

Well the blow hard i was playing suddenly got to feeling less than optimum,and the worse he played the cooler I got,I might have remebered Jackie Gleason in the Hustler getting all cleaned up

Well I digress way way long ago into a time when things like this could happen

But I think you get the idea why I think Tony will win if they use the clock

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot clock

I would take Tony to win with a 30 second or minute shot clock

How come?

It is my opinion that Dennis stalled,got up to shoot got down to shoot over 5 or six times per turn at the table

when he shot, it was obvious to practically everyone
,he would pretend to be considering some completely non sense shots

I think the stalling caused a certain anxiety or a lack of concentration, a feeling of funk loss of rhythm

give credit to Dennis if you wish,but it made me sick to watch

The biggest stat I want to see is time per shot

minutes at table

10 hours play,Tony 1 hour,Dennis 9 hours

Time pacing and getting hopes up that it is finally time to play 9 grueling hours

All the posturing,false consideration,getting ready then getting up was not genuine but affected

it worked, but who could stand to watch him play

i paid $29 to watch but could only stomach maybe 30 minutes at a time before i turned it off

The commentary seemed to pick the shot that Dennis would shoot in about 4 seconds,but
Dennis went down to shoot,back up,like he was intentionally aggravating
Tony,get his hopes up thinking"now he is going to shoot" only to see him get up walk around the table look here look there
pretending to be analyzing when there was really never anything

then get down again,then get up and walk,then get down ,then get down,then walk

One thing for sure it tortured me just to have to ait and wait while he positioned himself

He took the heart out of Tony,cast a pall on the whole boring event

Perhaps Dennis is a better player,perhaps Tony should be in better physical shape,

You could not pay me to watch Dennis play without a 45 second clock

As an aside,I was once playing a guy who did this to me,stall,examine possibilities that were obviously non possibilities

When i finally had a deep funk come on me and it occurred to me what was happening
i resorted to a reverse psychological play of my own

First I had a friend with an exceptionally voluptuously beautiful chickadee,come to the pool room and
administer neck rubs to me while my opponent was shooting,moaning things like you poor dear

This gal played this part to perfection,purred like catwoman in the Adam West Batman

You poouuur dear,purrrfect

She had some sumer time theater experience and relished her role

all this tension has you tied up in knots,let moma help you and other such drivel

I feigned complete lack of interest in he game,began ordering food and drinks,sometimes remaining seated while it was my turn to shoot

then the little lady would put chop chop on my neck or use the magic Geanie,
I put no restrictions on her,allowed her to talk while he was shooting

Flagrant sharking,I hope you guys are not disappointed in me
No one complained,they were all goo goo over the dame

when my opponent was shooting she would say things to him
like,oh you poor thing you are getting so tense,you need to lighten up,you are making yourself oh so tense

Don't take it so serious
Enjoy the game like momas boy

I hired a guy to call the fouls so I didn't have to watch all of my opponents theatrics,
I began to engage him in conversation about his thinking on his shots
I spent time trying to get more bets when it was my turn to shoot

Let him feel the heat

Why did you even consider that stupid shot,
I kinda implied it was painful seeing so much indecision,"pressure getting to you?'
First time you ever played for $10,000
lets Jack the bet and see how you do with $20,000

Finally it backfired on the theatrical psychological weapons,and he fell prey to his own strategy

By this time i had worked the room for many sizable bets, and I also had a big bodyguard red neck friend
approach the table and suggest that if there was any business going on( any dumping,intentional bad play,taking a dive)
I didn't mind playing dirty

There was going to be hell to pay
He got kinda sensitive

Pensive might be the word,and attitude I was trying to produce

I piped up,"Well,I hope you are not talking about me,I am betting my own money"why would I dump?'

Well the blow hard i was playing suddenly got to feeling less than optimum,and the worse he played the cooler I got,I might have remebered Jackie Gleason in the Hustler getting all cleaned up

Well I digress way way long ago into a time when things like this could happen

But I think you get the idea why I think Tony will win if they use the clock

I 100% agree Dean those were my thoughts on having a shot clock. For the spectator its exhausting to watch a slow play especially in 1 hole. People will not watch it all simply shut stream off. Worse yet go into comma.:grin:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 100% agree Dean those were my thoughts on having a shot clock. For the spectator its exhausting to watch a slow play especially in 1 hole. People will not watch it all simply shut stream off. Worse yet go into comma.:grin:

I disagree. I absolutely hate slow play in rotation but if there are really knowledgeable announcers I love slow play in one pocket. It’s like getting a free lesson, and I can sure use one of them every now and again.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i tried to find the stats on match 1 &2 but couldnt
i was looking for average length of game and total match time
my guess is the numbers will be close
my point being is dennis plays SLOW
tony knows that in advance and from experience
he decided to play and his backers were willing to put him in the box
tony got beat because dennis is better....period
yes dennis slow play is annoying to many
so??????
noone says you have to play him or watch the match
jmho
icbw
:D
( i may misremember but i think if you discount the first day of the first match tony has not won a day...icbw and would like to know that stat)

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree about dennis' slow play being a move. That's how he plays and because he chooses and executes so well, you can't debate the effectiveness of his process.

Now, if he's playing you or me, does it really matter if he stumbles once a game? It does not and his pace/ proceed reflects that.