Thanks for your service

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
A quick story about my latest Hoppe.

I recently won a Willie Hoppe cue on Ebay, the seller had it priced a little low stating that it was warped. It also had the signature of the owner of the cue written in ink just below Willie Hoppe's name on the forearm.

I figured if I won the cue I could remove the pen ink if I wanted to. When the cue arrived I was delighted to see that it was not warped but rather very straight, the joint collars were off centered to each other which is the norm with these vintage cues.

Inside the tube with the cue was the obituary of the man who owned the cue before me, Matthew Jurczak. Matt had a storied life from what I could tell that included serving under General MacArthur. He was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the158th combat team known as the Bushmasters division. Mr. Jurczak also graduated from law school and practiced law until he was appointed as a Judge.

After reading all this and much more about this man I think I will keep his name right where Matt wrote it on the cue.

Thanks for your service Matthew Jurczak.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 580

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great story. Matthew was born just five days before Olivia DeHavilland, who is, amazingly, still alive at the ripe old age of 103.

If you ever get rid of this cue, it should be wrapped in an American flag.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
L like the fact that the pool world honours a man that’s worth honoring.
...I would never have known about him.

Thanx to Jim

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Treasure!

Jim,

A man to honor, keeping his name is a great idea. A friend did the island hopping thing in WWII. His tales were grim. Any graduate of that school has my utmost respect. Sounds like this man had a very respectable career afterwards too so remembering his name is a fine gesture.

Hu

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanx to Jim

^^ yep, we need to do more to honor the lawyers in this country ! :p

Seriously, great story and goes to show that not all pool players had a misspent youth.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That’s a really cool story to go with the cue
And thank you Matt for your service

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing that great story, Cuebuddy.

Congratulations on such a wonderful find, sir. And, might I add, that’s a fine looking tomato, dear chap. :)

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Yep, pretty cool !!
:)

Great story. Matthew was born just five days before Olivia DeHavilland, who is, amazingly, still alive at the ripe old age of 103.
If you ever get rid of this cue, it should be wrapped in an American flag.

Wow I just read up on Olivia, what an amazing career she has had. Stu I like the flag idea but anyone who has seen my cue collection knows I rarely get rid of cues:eek:

Thanx to Jim
You are welcome pt

Jim,

A man to honor, keeping his name is a great idea. A friend did the island hopping thing in WWII. His tales were grim. Any graduate of that school has my utmost respect. Sounds like this man had a very respectable career afterwards too so remembering his name is a fine gesture.

Hu

Hu there was more to his obit and I will try and post another picture soon.

That’s a really cool story to go with the cue
And thank you Matt for your service
:)

Thank you for sharing that great story, Cuebuddy.

Congratulations on such a wonderful find, sir. And, might I add, that’s a fine looking tomato, dear chap. :)

Yes tomatoes are another of my hobbies, I wish you could try one!

Really cool find! Lucky you, sir, thanks for sharing!!

Your welcome too!

Last night I ran a rack of 9-ball with the old girl and I will say there is plenty of magic with this one.

Attachments

• IMG_5520.jpg
    IMG_5520.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 263

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you want to sell that cue andarticles
i will donate it to Dennis Glenn,it belongs in the pool hall of fame too

contact me

best wishes ifyou keep the cue,it is historic too

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
if you want to sell that cue andarticles
i will donate it to Dennis Glenn,it belongs in the pool hall of fame too

contact me

best wishes ifyou keep the cue,it is historic too

Dean I am not to keen on selling it at this time but I would still like to contact you for another reason. I will get back to you soon.