Votes: 6 8.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 91.5%

• Total voters

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Isn't it a foul to put you cue on the table and let go of it?
Im not sure if it is in this format or situation since it wasnt layed down on the table preshot,but crazier things can happen in this sport. :cool:

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:

No, it's not a foul to lay your cue on the table! It's a foul to use your cue as an aiming device and and lay your cue on the table. End of story
no-sho

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I wouldn't call that a foul but it sure was close. He didn't even think about dropping that cue down like that. Had the CB hit the tip on the way around there it would have been a foul. Don't know if they would have called it though.
MULLY

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigjohn said:
I've always thought that abuse of any kind of a table during tournament play... should be a foul. JMO

You would been surprise how many fouls there will be made by this rule :D

But how can you call this an abuse. Jumping the CB will do more damage to the table than Peach did.

And ofcourse, if you shoot a ball, you are abusing the cloth :mad:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Yeah, I'd say no foul, but if the CB had hit the tip of the cue (and it didn't miss by much), then that would be a foul. The spirit of laying the cue down on the table and letting go rule is about using it as an aiming device, i.e. laying it down and walking around the table to see the angle off the rail or what have you. I don't think a reasonable ref would apply it to this situation.

-Andrew

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
WesleyW said:
You would been surprise how many fouls there will be made by this rule :D

But how can you call this an abuse. Jumping the CB will do more damage to the table than Peach did.

And ofcourse, if you shoot a ball, you are abusing the cloth :mad:

I didn't see it but if you read the post... it says he "slammed" his cue and "slamming" IMO is abuse and should be a foul.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigjohn said:
I didn't see it but if you read the post... it says he "slammed" his cue and "slamming" IMO is abuse and should be a foul.

He didn't slammed it. It was quite soft. As I mention before, jumping with the CB will damage the table a lot more. I would say, he is only dropping his cue from 5cm height.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who wouldn't get a little excited when they had just won the World Championship? I'm just glad that the cue ball DIDN'T hit the tip of his cue. If it had and the ref called a foul, what a controversy that would have started! The sh-t would really have hit the fan then! :eek:

IMO still no foul, but still who knows what would have happened. I'm glad it ended the way it did.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The Rest Of The Story

no-sho said:
No, it's not a foul to lay your cue on the table! It's a foul to use your cue as an aiming device and and lay your cue on the table. End of story
no-sho

You are correct in what you say but just to split hairs, you can lay your cue on the table as long as your hand remains in contact with it, if I am not mistaken.

JoeyA (splittin' hairs)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
... Is that a FOUL? ..
In order for it to be a foul, it has to violate a rule. Which rule do you think it violated? For your convenience, here is a list of fouls:

6.1 Cue Ball Scratch or off the Table
6.2 Wrong Ball First
6.3 No Rail after Contact
6.4 No Foot on Floor
6.5 Ball Driven off the Table
6.6 Touched Ball
6.7 Double Hit / Frozen Balls
6.8 Push Shot
6.9 Balls Still Moving
6.10 Bad Cue Ball Placement
6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
6.13 Playing out of Turn
6.14 Three Consecutive Fouls
6.15 Slow Play
6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct

For details -- which in this case are important -- see:
http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_fouls

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
You are correct in what you say but just to split hairs, you can lay your cue on the table as long as your hand remains in contact with it, if I am not mistaken.

JoeyA (splittin' hairs)

My answer was in direct response to this question: I didn't believe it as necessary to add in my response about keeping your hand on the cue, just to split hairs.lol My bad English!!!

Originally Posted by BlowFish

Originally Posted by no-sho
no-sho

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Who wouldn't get a little excited when they had just won the World Championship? ...
I've seen players dance on the table after winning a championship. I don't think anyone called a foul on them.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, if you think this might be a foul, dude you better get to work. There are about 4 trillion archived games where the player leans up against the table while shooting the 9-ball. You might want to investigate those, too.