East Coast style~4point

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have always bought cues from the main or best cue makers people that i actually met when i was younger,part of the fun was knowing the cue makers

i don't claim to know much about cues technically,but these Demon cues seem to be super high quality work to me

they remind me of Mottey designs but have a certain Billy Stroud perfection through technology

I think you have a certain talent that I admire
thank you for showing your wonderful work,
I hope to see more,

East Coast style is a perfect description,your choice hits the nail on the head,

Am I wrong in assuming this is the very best of the cue makers out of the united states?

Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
Cheng Yong,

Very nice work. You are correct about the design coming from the 1990's.
It is very reminiscent of one of my designs from that time. Especially the ring work.

Keep up the good work but don't get stuck in the Past.

Just like you I learned from the past but then found more excitement in exploring the Future.

Bill Stroud

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have always bought cues from the main or best cue makers people that i actually met when i was younger,part of the fun was knowing the cue makers

i don't claim to know much about cues technically,but these Demon cues seem to be super high quality work to me

they remind me of Mottey designs but have a certain Billy Stroud perfection through technology

I think you have a certain talent that I admire
thank you for showing your wonderful work,
I hope to see more,

East Coast style is a perfect description,your choice hits the nail on the head,

Am I wrong in assuming this is the very best of the cue makers out of the united states?

Hi,
Thank you for your compliment.
But even in the United States, I am confident that I am one of the best cue makers of craftsmanship.
I think that between the best cue makers, the level of craftsmanship is not much different.
The final gap is in design and marketing.There is only a small gap in the technology produced.
There is no best cue, only the most suitable.
There is no best cue maker, only the favorite.

Last edited:

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheng Yong,

Very nice work. You are correct about the design coming from the 1990's.
It is very reminiscent of one of my designs from that time. Especially the ring work.

Keep up the good work but don't get stuck in the Past.

Just like you I learned from the past but then found more excitement in exploring the Future.

Bill Stroud

Hi,Bill
Thank you very much for your encouragement.
I will work hard to innovate. Innovation is very interesting.
But many classic designs still make people like it.
This is the intangible asset left by seniors.
Let us be a lot more convenient.
thanksgiving.

Cheng Yong

bstroud

Deceased
Cheng Yong,

I am interested in how you became a cue maker.

For me in the USA I had no one to teach me and so had to learn everything by
trial and error (making mistake and doing again).

Because I was so determined it did not take long to become proficient. My search for perfection led me to the first CNC work on cues. If I was still making cues I would be looking at 3-D printing as the next step.

Did you have any experience with cue factories in China? Ernie Chen had a factory in North China. Taican in Southern China? I worked with Taican many years to improve their products.

The Theme cues you refer to were created because I had an idea for the ICCS that would make cuemakers leave their comfort zone and create something completely new to them. It made me do it also.

There will always be a place for traditional looking cues but they will not be the cues that people talk about in the Future.

Let me know if I can help you in any way in your quest for perfection. If I can I will.

Bill Stroud

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a beautiful cue and superb workmanship.

I would like to see you post more of your work.

I would like to know what you would charge to make a cue similar to that one.

I think the forum rules forbid people to post prices in the public arena, so you can send me a Private Message (PM) if you'd like.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rings remind me of Ariel C’s design style.
You can post anything in the Main Forum (open).

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant no comparison to your work with the great american cue makers

I only meant as far as i could tell your work was the best of any non american cue makers

having never seen one in my hands

you received a big compliment from one of the greatest cue makers of all time,Billy Stroud.

If any one can recognize good work it would be Billy

My compliment was merely recognizing your work as the best I had seen from
anywhere other than the USA

I meant nothing more or less,i think this one is beautiful,i like the old school
and I really like this cue

Billy is probably giving you good advice,but old guys like me do still like the old stuff also

Best wishes which ever way you go

Dean

bstroud

Deceased
Dean,

Arthur Cue from Germany does outstanding work and their cues play very well.

They new part of the ICCS when I was hosting it.

Bill S.

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant no comparison to your work with the great american cue makers

I only meant as far as i could tell your work was the best of any non american cue makers

having never seen one in my hands

you received a big compliment from one of the greatest cue makers of all time,Billy Stroud.

If any one can recognize good work it would be Billy

My compliment was merely recognizing your work as the best I had seen from
anywhere other than the USA

I meant nothing more or less,i think this one is beautiful,i like the old school
and I really like this cue

Billy is probably giving you good advice,but old guys like me do still like the old stuff also

Best wishes which ever way you go

Dean
Hi, Dean
Thank you very much for your compliment.
I rarely leave a message in the forum for a big reason.
Sometimes I will misunderstand, sometimes it will not be well expressed.

Cheng Yong

Last edited:

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheng Yong,

I am interested in how you became a cue maker.

For me in the USA I had no one to teach me and so had to learn everything by
trial and error (making mistake and doing again).

Because I was so determined it did not take long to become proficient. My search for perfection led me to the first CNC work on cues. If I was still making cues I would be looking at 3-D printing as the next step.

Did you have any experience with cue factories in China? Ernie Chen had a factory in North China. Taican in Southern China? I worked with Taican many years to improve their products.

The Theme cues you refer to were created because I had an idea for the ICCS that would make cuemakers leave their comfort zone and create something completely new to them. It made me do it also.

There will always be a place for traditional looking cues but they will not be the cues that people talk about in the Future.

Let me know if I can help you in any way in your quest for perfection. If I can I will.

Bill Stroud

Hi,Bill
Sorry, I replied so late.Because I am on a desert vacation.
The internet here is very bad.This is my new interest that started last year.

About how I became a cue maker.This will start from 2007.My main interest at the time was to modify the vehicle and billiards.
Because I have many machines that modify vehicle parts.So there are many friends who let me help them repair the cue.
So I think why I don't make my own cues.
(Below is my car at the time.)

So I started to prepare.At the beginning my only textbook was Joe Barringer Pool Cue Building DVD's.I get the most basic knowledge from here.I don't listen to English but I understand what he means according to the film.Then I started to try.I sold the machinery I modified the vehicle parts, as well as my car.Then began to buy the machinery and materials for making the cue.I was ready to finish in 2007 and started to make the most basic cue in 2008.
I have been groping forever from 2008 to 2009.During this time I almost always make basic styles and do various tests.
After 2009, China's Internet began to be more convenient.So I started asking my friends to collect a lot of photos for me.There are all kinds of cues and studio photos of many cue makers.I understand the direction of the design from the photo of the cue.I studied the details and functions of the machine from the studio photos. Sometimes I also observe the materials they use.
From 2009 to 2014, I added machines based on my experience and those photos.
During this time, my technique is getting better and better, and I have been able to complete most of the styles.
Although I can finish most of the cues in 2015,But I feel that the speed is too slow.So I rebuilt my studio.
In 2016, I completed Dharma.
In 2017, I completed Dark night armor.
At this time, I am confident that I can complete any cue I want to do.
In 2018, I once again felt that the efficiency was not good.I built a second studio with the support of my friends.
In 2019, I completed 10th anniversary.
In China, I should be the first batch of custom cue makers.So I always explore it alone.So no one can teach me.But China has many different kinds of craftsmen.When I want to try various techniques, I can always find information or consult other artisans.Although they won't make cues.I will study it and understand it and apply it to the production of the cue.This is a pleasant journey.
I will share my new studio with you in a few days.Maybe posted to the AZ.
I am very happy to share with you.If I have any questions in the future, I will contact you, thank you very much.

Cheng Yong

Attachments

• mmexport1563250000159.jpg
    mmexport1563250000159.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 90
  • mmexport1563206762840.jpg
    mmexport1563206762840.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 94
  • mmexport1563206778533.jpg
    mmexport1563206778533.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great post, especially to learn (craft AND philosphy) from masters on both sides of the world.

Is the fact that the pix in last post don't show for me due to how they were posted, or to the extremely slow 'net service in my area? Would love to see them.

thanks,
smt

bstroud

Deceased
Chen Yong,

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting story.

Very much like my own.

Long before I started Joss Cues I was doing repair on cues at Family Billiards in Denver. I also ordered many Rambos and talked to Herman about cue making.

I could not see your pics but would be very interested in seeing them.

When you say Desert do you mean Mongolia? I always wanted to visit there but never had the chance.

Bill

north_demon_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chen Yong,

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting story.

Very much like my own.

Long before I started Joss Cues I was doing repair on cues at Family Billiards in Denver. I also ordered many Rambos and talked to Herman about cue making.

I could not see your pics but would be very interested in seeing them.

When you say Desert do you mean Mongolia? I always wanted to visit there but never had the chance.

Bill

Hi,bill
The holiday is over. On the way back home.

Cheng Yong

Attachments

• mmexport1563250377833.jpg
    mmexport1563250377833.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: