Thread: Pool Wars
View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzby View Post
I just received my copy today. Since Jay was out of town I ordered a copy off of Amazon from Freddy the Beard. First of all I have to say that Mr. Beard got this book shipped to me faster than any package I can ever remember ordering from anywhere. I ordered the book Friday night and got it Monday afternoon.....amazing.

So far it's a great read. I haven't sat down to read a book in years (thousands of newspapers and magazines, but no non-instructional books), but I have read half this book already. The only reason why I put it down was if I wanted to have something to read tomorrow I couldn't hog it all down today.

The last time I remember really sitting down to read a book was well over a decade ago. They were mainly history books as fiction never has been able to keep my attention outside of a few choice books (Underground Empire being one of them).

Great book Jay!! I could easily sit down and read the entire book in one sitting without having a thought of doing something else even if it was twice the length.
Thanks buddy. It is comments like this that make me want to write more books. I really wanted to do Playing With Fire with Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc but we haven't been able to work out the details as yet. His story is similar to mine only a little more sinister with a very motley cast of characters. Cotton was one of the favorite poolplayers of the mob guys in the 60's and 70's. He was also a top speed road man.

I have another book in progress that is VERY different. It is a compiliation of about a million tricks and tips that can help one be a better player (and a winning one at that). Kind of a lifetime of learning boiled into one book. 99% of it has never been in any instructional book before. It is not about proper stance, proper grip and how to line up a shot. In other words not a typical instructional book by any means. It has more to do with the mental side of the game, and lots of little things that many players (even some very good ones) don't know about. I've mentioned a few of these things on here over the years, like how to shoot at the cue ball when it is on the rail and never miscue. That little tip hasn't been in any book yet.

I wanted to call it The Zen Of Pool, but Max Eberle already has a book out with a similar title. If any of you have ever read Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book", that is more what this book would be like. The Little Red Book is the all time best selling golf book, similar to the Inner Game of Tennis. I actually started writing this book over ten years ago, but it was just too overwhelming to complete. I literally have a file full of notes. I had no way to organize it all. Now I have a better idea how to accomplish this. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in reading? I sure hope so because it may take me another year to complete it.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars