Do you like the music in your pool room?

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few months back a guy from my age(49) and era started working at the pool hall.He brought with him his own music(Clapton, Van Morrison , JJ Cale,Bob Marley,the Stones, etc etc) from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and started playing it.

I then got involved and started downloading some of the 500 greatest rock and roll songs of all time,Rocks most played songs, rocks 100 top albums and several other classic rock tunes.I also downloaded several legendary blues tunes. Altoghther I'm in the process of making 25 CD'sor so of hand picked music.It's just one hit after another.We've also selected many of the good hits of today.

Anyways, I can't tell you how thourghly enjoyable it is to play pool accompanyied by the music you love and appreciate.The music had me so melowed that I felt really focused and played good.The guys at the pool hall are really starting to enjoy things as well, as many have commented.

Another time I didn't play so good,however, it was all still an enjoyable experience because of the music. On the other hand , our other main pool hall plays nothing but disco crap and rap music.Although I like a little(some rap) of everything,that pool hall is top heavy on what I don't like.I know music is a personal thing and some people like that stuff,however, the music has made me change home pool rooms.I also realize the pool room owner has to cater to the crowd that makes up the majority of his customers.

Does music influence your choice of pool rooms?
Do you shoot any better with certain tunes playing?
How's the music in your pool room?
RJ

Last edited:

bizboy313

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually enjoy the music in a room (if there is any) to be loud and heavy i.e. rap or rock. For me, it helps me kinda zone out and concentrate on the game and I think the rythmn of the hip hop music helps me keep control of my mind but thats just me. Some people need complete silence or low music, if any. What bothers me is the easy listening crap because for some reason, I can't concentrate when its playing lol.

Onemoreyouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i find it funny on my monday night leauge of 95 percent middle age and up men that all the music playing is always the same hardcore band or chris rock, or rap.... and thats catering to the majority of their customors? must be a lot more 'hip' old guys than i thought.

personally i like a little of everything, but i agree, when i pick my own music at the college to play to, its the oldies... that stuff is relaxing to me without overwhelming the room.

i really dont care what is playing as long as i dont have to yell across the table to talk... but what really gets me is the same song over and over every week... thats what drives me up the wall... theres a few million songs in the world today, and these drunks only like 3?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
anything is better than hearing the pump it up (ddr kockoff) machine blare korean music all day long at my school's student union (think the same demo song 100+ times in a row). i actually dont mind loud music at bars because of it, at least theres some variety.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
No, though I would prefer a place with no music, classical music (unheard of), jazz, or classic rock 'n roll in that order.
I more accurate to say I shot worse with certain tunes on. I don't think any music has a positive effect on my game, but some can be distracting and irritating.
RJ
A real mix depending upon who's playing it. Classic rock, country western, head banger rock. Alas, no classical :( .

degenrat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like hard rock, classic rock and metal to play if i had the choice. it pumps me up a bit, and i can zone out.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
RJ
If they MUST play music, I don't care what it is --except rap, which is not music. But the VOLUME should be low enough that you can hear conversation at normal levels. In most rooms the music is intrusively loud. I guess they think they're being hip, slick and cool; but they're really just being annoying. I usually leave when the music is so loud I can't concentrate any longer.

In one room I attend, the owner finally put the speakers on separate controls in the room, so that the bar box players can get music blasted at them while they're getting blasted.:rolleyes:

Doc

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I agree that keeping the volume to a reasonable level is most important. My personal preference is classic rock. The Doors, Allman Brothers, and just about anything out of the 70's. The room I play in even has the Grateful Dead on the jukebox!
Steve

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I love listening to music in the pool room, although sometimes when Im on a table that has a speaker right next to it, it can be annoying if they are playing some tunes I dont like. One of the two rooms I play out of has a jukebox connected online and it downloads songs from a huge list. I really like that jukebox because I get to hear alot of new music. Alot of times I find myself saying to my opponent "hey brb" and walking over to see whats playing so I can remember to search it out later.

Nothing worse that a dead silent pool room!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
How about China Cat/I Know you rider from the movie soundtrack? (Which also happens to be in my car's CD player at the moment)
I'm telling you, this place rocks!
Steve

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
There is a saying that one person's music is another person's noise.

I like to listen to music. I have the stereo on all day long when not watching TV. The probelm is the volume. I don't like to be in a place where it is so loud that all you are hearing is noise because of all the distortion comming from the speakers. Many do not realize it but you do become noise fatiqued from the distortion. All that booming that seems to be so fasinating today is nothing but distortion from overloading the speakers.

The worst is when it is really quite and then the jukebox comes blasting on.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
On top of someone exhausting their cigarette smoke, a quiet pool room is annoying...for me any rock from '65 on will get me in the zone...
________

Last edited:

juanbond

Software Engineer
Silver Member
At our home table in Danville we usually set my iPod on the FM transmitter... Here's some of the more heavily-rotated stuff in our pool room:

System of a Down
Eminem
Tupac
Bob Marley
One of my own bands, PSR
Atmosphere
Primus
Isis

ATH

hell, here i come!
Silver Member
I need music, hehe. A silent room is depressing, music livens up the place.

Chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would prefer no jukebox. Silence is golden.

These days it is more practical, IMO, for everyone to have a personal MP3 player. That way, everyone can choose their own personal tunes, or silence.

What I hate to hear is country and classic rock, especially classic rock. I've heard the same songs too many times for too many years. Sweet Home Alabama becomes quite grating after hearing it 25,000 times.

SkippyFL

Who is this guy?
Silver Member
TheBook said:
All that booming that seems to be so fasinating today is nothing but distortion from overloading the speakers.

I quite enjoy that booming and can assure you that it is not distortion and definitely does not come from "overloading" the speakers. Both my car and home audio systems "boom" due to having high quality properly configured subwoofers. The subwoofers are what put out the low frequency "booming" not "overloading" speakers.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
PGA Pool room

Chris said:
I would prefer no jukebox. Silence is golden.

These days it is more practical, IMO, for everyone to have a personal MP3 player. That way, everyone can choose their own personal tunes, or silence.

What I hate to hear is country and classic rock, especially classic rock. I've heard the same songs too many times for too many years. Sweet Home Alabama becomes quite grating after hearing it 25,000 times.

Our pool room used to have the nickname of PGA pool room because it was so quiet. No jukebox etc. It was also quiet because of no kids came in. When the gambling boats came to town, the old players went to the boat for action. We then put in a jukebox. The kids started coming in then. The "kids" that all the pool players hate account for about 60-70% of our business. Without those pesky kids, the pool players would not have a place to loiter and watch cable tv or complain about how our country needs this and that. If I hear Devil went down to Georgia less than 3 times a night it is a blessing, but a jukebox probably helped keep our pool room open. ;)