how to remove this weight bolt?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got a good wrench but sucker is in there tight..
I understand the bolt might be glued in, but I don't know if it is or not
obviously don't want to break the cue
appreciate any help!

Attachments

• bolt1.JPG
    bolt1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 502
  • bolt2.JPG
    bolt2.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 492

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 'er, but I sold er!
...no, I don't:embarrassed2:

tate, I don't have any liquid wrench but was thinking of trying wd40
might help? would it hurt the wood or anything to try?

Dont put lubricant in there.

You need to heat up the bolt to break the glue bond.

If you dont mind ruining your allen wrench, you can put it in a vise vertically, heat it with a torch, then set the cue down on it. The residual heat will do the job.

Now, be careful if you do it. Keep your hand on the butt sleeve, and if its getting just warm, that should be close. Dont let it feel hot to the touch, then you are damaging the cue and have gone too far.

Once the butt starts feeling warm, twist the cue on the allen wrench. It will start turning once its warm enough.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chuck's probably right. I'm not sure solvent would loosen it anyway.

It takes some pressure to loosen a weight bolt, but if it is glued, the only way to do it is to heat it up like Chuck suggests. I've seen people break the butt sleeve or bolt head off trying to crank a glued bolt. Many weight bolts are not glued but if it won't budge, it probably is.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont put lubricant in there.

You need to heat up the bolt to break the glue bond.

If you dont mind ruining your allen wrench, you can put it in a vise vertically, heat it with a torch, then set the cue down on it. The residual heat will do the job.

Now, be careful if you do it. Keep your hand on the butt sleeve, and if its getting just warm, that should be close. Dont let it feel hot to the touch, then you are damaging the cue and have gone too far.

Once the butt starts feeling warm, twist the cue on the allen wrench. It will start turning once its warm enough.

thanks chuck..man I got tools for fools..my foot=vise, lighter=torch
if I don't set myself on fire, I'll let you know how it goes:thumbup:

That might be an assembly bolt, not a weight bolt. What kind of cue is it?

56" billiards cue

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
thanks chuck..man I got tools for fools..my foot=vise, lighter=torch
if I don't set myself on fire, I'll let you know how it goes:thumbup:

56" billiards cue

I meant the brand, but alright - don't assume that is a weight bolt until you do your homework. If the buttsleeve breaks off, congratulations

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant the brand, but alright - don't assume that is a weight bolt until you do your homework. If the buttsleeve breaks off, congratulations

fuel is the brand..and I ain't tryna break nothin ('cept a good rack)
if you have advice to share, spill it
ps if it helps, another good azb fellow suggested that because the balance point is 16" from the butt end
a weight bolt it be

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
fuel is the brand..and I ain't tryna break nothin ('cept a good rack)
if you have advice to share, spill it
ps if it helps, another good azb fellow suggested that because the balance point is 16" from the butt end
a weight bolt it be

I spilled my good advice, do your homework. I don't know how a Fuel cue is constructed, maybe that information is on the internet somewhere. If that is a threaded assembly rod, you might bring the buttsleeve off with it.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spilled my good advice, do your homework. I don't know how a Fuel cue is constructed, maybe that information is on the internet somewhere. If that is a threaded assembly rod, you might bring the buttsleeve off with it.

I do appreciate it
I've got some feelers out to the folks I bought it from
it's just a cheap billiards cue but I'm happy not to break it
much obliged

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to figure out where the guy who don't own a soldering iron keeps his workbench, vice and torch?

I'll answer that for you- he doesn't :)

looking to do something about the first part tho
so did some more reading on the subject via search..had no idea this was such a common thing..found more good info. and am now shopping for a soldering iron

only question I have before pulling the trigger on this thing is the width of the iron
nobody has seemed to indicate it wouldn't, but obviously I want the iron to fit in the hole
the bolt is 8mm
this is the piece I'm looking at (cheap)
https://www.amazon.com/LDK-Solderin...18011&rnid=2941120011&rps=1&s=hi&sr=1-10&th=1

yall think I'm ok clearance-wise?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll answer that for you- he doesn't :)

looking to do something about the first part tho
so did some more reading on the subject via search..had no idea this was such a common thing..found more good info. and am now shopping for a soldering iron

only question I have before pulling the trigger on this thing is the width of the iron
nobody has seemed to indicate it wouldn't, but obviously I want the iron to fit in the hole
the bolt is 8mm
this is the piece I'm looking at (cheap)
https://www.amazon.com/LDK-Solderin...18011&rnid=2941120011&rps=1&s=hi&sr=1-10&th=1

yall think I'm ok clearance-wise?

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-SP40N...eywords=soldering+iron&qid=1588212304&sr=8-22