Green or Blue Simonis 860

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to recover my Gold Crown IV and was thinking maybe I would go with the light blue you see on so many tables nowadays, rather than the traditional green.

It seems that the blue would not show the blue chalk marks and the burn marks (from breaking and masse' shots) as much as the green. Do blue and green play the same? I also heard that there will be less shadow under the rails with the blue cloth...

I'd appreciate some feedback on which would be the better choice?

Thanks!

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
Never thought that I would like anything other than tournament green, but, the tourney blue is the absolute nuts.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
muttley76 said:
Never thought that I would like anything other than tournament green, but, the tourney blue is the absolute nuts.

my thoughts exactly, the blue is the best, i never would have thought i would say that.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
There is a Blue-Green color.

I like the tournament Blue or Green, but both have a particular disadvantage to me. <----slightly color blind.

I like the blue/gree the 6 ball actually stands out as a bright green instead of dissapearing into the green cloth.

But, if I had my choice... Green it is.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FastMikie said:
I need to recover my Gold Crown IV and was thinking maybe I would go with the light blue you see on so many tables nowadays, rather than the traditional green.

It seems that the blue would not show the blue chalk marks and the burn marks (from breaking and masse' shots) as much as the green. Do blue and green play the same? I also heard that there will be less shadow under the rails with the blue cloth...

Thanks!

i have the tournament blue on my table and will probably never go back to green again (although i always thought of myself as a traditionalist), but it think its all about the look you want b/c the blue cloth shows chalk marks and burn marks just like the green. i dont the blue plays any different from the green. either way you wont be disappointed.

brian

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hi Mike when I bought my table I told Aaron at Diamond to go with green and later I changed my mind and went with tournament blue. Aaron told me at that time that they (Simonis) had done studies on it and the blue was not only easiest on the eyes but it was the best color for showing definition between the balls and the cloth.With in a week of having my table covered Glen (RKC) let me know that there is a new Simonis blue that fades less and doesn't mark so easily. I hope this helps. Jim

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blue...

Way back when, I gave myself a graduation present from high school of a pool table. Just a home model Brunswick, 8 foot with 3/4" slate bed. Did not know any better, but it was my table and I chose the same kind of blue that has become the standard for tournament use. Who knew I would be ahead of the curve on that one?!?!?!? Once I get done with my home renovations, the Diamond table that is going to get put on the lower level of my house is going to be covered in tournament blue Simonis 860, I can't wait!!!!!

Stewscue

Azbilliardacademy
Silver Member
My 2 cents of advice

Have a diamond pro-am 4.5 X 9

I have the blue cloth 860 sim.
I have never had anything except green until this table

Blue is a big change yes the ball show up better but everything else does too
Blue masters chalk looks black on the felt
I clean this table much more than I have had to in the past
Just my real life two cents

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
FastMikie said:

Thanks!

Blue is faster than Green. I had always "felt" this, but it was confirmed to me in a call with an industry insider earlier today.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stewscue said:
Blue is a big change yes the ball show up better but everything else does too
Blue masters chalk looks black on the felt
I clean this table much more than I have had to in the past ...
It's interesting that the blue chalk, which seems to be about as bright as the cloth, shows up as black. The same chalk shows up a lot less on green cloth, somehow, but just as much chalk must be there. Maybe Master has to develop a slightly lighter shade of blue. On the other hand, it's still a good idea to clean the cloth more frequently.

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CrownCityCorey said:
Blue is faster than Green. I had always "felt" this, but it was confirmed to me in a call with an industry insider earlier today.

I thought the same thing! I played for the first time on some blue cloth this past weekend at Shoreline Billiards in Mountain View, CA. I really liked how fast it was playing. Sweet.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
I would never go back to green after playing on the Tournament Blue. Much brighter and better contrast.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
pool table cloth has always been and should always be green.

And if it does play faster then you gotta adjust when you go play elsewhere. What do the local pool halls and tournaments have near you?

If blue shows the balls better than that means if you go play a tourney on green youll have trouble seeing the edges of balls???

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same As The Others

FastMikie said:
I thought the same thing! I played for the first time on some blue cloth this past weekend at Shoreline Billiards in Mountain View, CA. I really liked how fast it was playing. Sweet.
Just to echo a few of the comments

I have a table with the 860 Tournament blue. Yes it plays fast, faster than green....? I don't know

And yes, the blue chalk shows up as black marks.

Masse and jumps will leave white marks and IMO the break paths and lines along the rail show up as white.

I still like it and will use it again

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Marop said:
I would never go back to green after playing on the Tournament Blue. Much brighter and better contrast.

nice table. Got the same one. :thumbup:

with green simonis thoiugh:smile:

AdChalk

Banned
Master Chalk

Master Chalk does make a lighter blue. ;)

Bob Jewett said:
It's interesting that the blue chalk, which seems to be about as bright as the cloth, shows up as black. The same chalk shows up a lot less on green cloth, somehow, but just as much chalk must be there. Maybe Master has to develop a slightly lighter shade of blue. On the other hand, it's still a good idea to clean the cloth more frequently.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
FastMikie said:

Thanks!
You should have had a poll,I like blue,it seems it is easier on the eyes for long sessions and you can see the edge of the ball better IMO. :smile:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
All the good reasons in the world won't change me from thinking... from being CONVINCED that pool tables are green.