Pea Pool - Association with gambling

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Pea Pool (Kelly) has been known as a gambling game for many years.

Playing the game in Montana was subject to a $25 dollar fine until the law was repealed in 1964.
The game of kelly pool was also banned in the Canadian province of Manitoba.
Association with gambling... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_pool

Pea Pool can also be played as a friendly social game with small payouts.
http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard/Home/pea-pool

You keep secret a private number that corresponds to a ball number.
Pocket any opponents secret ball and get paid for the ball by that player.
Win by pocketing your own secret ball and get paid double by all players.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually Pea Pool and-or Kelly Pool is a great game. The higher the stakes, the more intense things get.

The audience can also participate by side-betting with the other rail birds on who will win. This gets to be real exciting...

I'd like to see some of this format on TV...

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Pea Pool (Kelly) has been known as a gambling game for many years.

Playing the game in Montana was subject to a $25 dollar fine until the law was repealed in 1964.
The game of kelly pool was also banned in the Canadian province of Manitoba.

Montana likes their pool :wink: They drive 100's of miles over a weekend in nasty winter weather, pay for a hotel room for a couple nights, play hard, then drive home and show up for work on Monday. Have a $25,000 payout tournament coming up in a month or so - this tournament has been going on for over 25 years.

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
I'm searching for a representative video on YouTube that gives a good example of Pea Pool being played - if anyone has seen one, please let me know!

http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/Rules20Assorted.php

^^^ In fact, if you know of a good video for any of the games mentioned above it would be nice to include them.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i love pea pool, i havent played it in years, we used to play 2-3 times a week. .25 and 50cents on the 9, we kept the quarters on the table under the cushions. it was great fun. i miss it, 3 ball is fun too. I love all ring games.

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
Great game.. Used to play it all the time. Even playing quaters with friends makes it worth it when you get enough people. And if you wanna gamble, $1, $2 or $5 you can really take some cash home. We would play with 10 balls and at least 5 people would play. You do the math... I loved it when I make my pill and get the reaction from everyone when I'm pulling out out to show I made my own ball.. :grin: PAY ME Suckers.. lol

PS. Eric... Around here we just call that 10 ball.. Payout is on the 5 and 9 like you said. Great game too... Pill, pea or Kelly pool uses the pills in the bottle and every one gets a pill. You hold it secret until someone makes your number or you make your own.

Shane

Last edited:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great memory!

Pea Pool was absolutely the first form of gambling at the cue games I ever did. I think we started out at a nickel for the other guy's ball(s) and a dime for yours, and gradually worked our way up to quarter/half. (In case you can't tell, this was not much of an action room.) I played that just to be one of the boys, WAY before I had much of an idea what I was doing. Haven't seen it played in decades, but I distinctly remember the huge grin I wore from the time our games began till the last player quit. GF

n33njah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We locally call it Pill pull ten ball

We generally have a game about 2-3 times a week if there's no action and mostly local guys running around a few of us will start at 1-2 or 2-2 pill pull ten ball. THese games are freaking hilarious.

In fact we played it two nights ago and I walked away like 45 ahead of where I started with just four players going at it because I caught a string of luck on the draw and break. lol. Made the ten ball or my pill 4 times in a row, then I kept drawing pills that were runnable to and it wasn't the stoutest game ive ever played in but we had fun and had pretty much our pecking order from our a/b to our ball bangers involved at any given point so I love this game.

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Madden,
Where and when is this tournament. I might wish to go and watch.
Thanks!