Anyone shoot with just one or two cues for many years?

How often do you change cues?

• Found one cue and stuck with it

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Change occasionally, but tend to stick with a cue for many years

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • I like to change it up every year or two

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Hell, I've got more than one cue on order at the moment

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious about this. Here's my story. Back when I was a young teen...maybe 13 or so, my dad got me my first cue: A cheap piece of crap Cue Ball Kelly cue. I think we paid $50 or $75 for it, and that's probably overpriced. I've been using it as a practice cue on my new cue lathe.

About a year later, I was ready for a better cue. My dad got a McDermott D4 for himself, with a linen wrap, and I got a D19.

At some point, I picked up a Lucasi. At the time it was pretty cheap, and it was my bar cue. That's the only time I ever took it out.

Anyhow, I played with that D19 for almost 30 years. I just replaced it earlier this year, not because I didn't like it but simply because I wanted to retire it. It has sentimental value to me. To replace it, I bought a very odd McDermott from Kickin' Chicken. It's not really a production model, and has a strange (and confirmed) story behind it. Anyhow, it looks pretty similar to the D19, and really plays just like it. It's one of the last McD made with real half-spliced ebony points. That's my main cue, now.

So other than my first "starter" cue that got put way almost immediately, and the Lucasi that I used as my bar banger, I've basically played with one cue my entire life, which was retired and replaced with another cue which was as similar as I could possibly get.

Anyone else find a cue they like and just hang on to it forever, or do you like to flip every few months?

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I've been playing with my plain jane Tad for 8 years now. I think it's important to get "married" to your cue. It doesn't take 8 years, of course, but it is a pain to change, so I never bothered.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with the same Schon for 13 years. Been playing 15 years total. I doubt I will ever buy another playing cue. I like the way it looks and the way it hits.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since having my Dishaw made in 2006, its been my only cue. Just recently I have been thinking about getting something different.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Just curious about this. Here's my story. Back when I was a young teen...maybe 13 or so, my dad got me my first cue: A cheap piece of crap Cue Ball Kelly cue. I think we paid $50 or $75 for it, and that's probably overpriced. I've been using it as a practice cue on my new cue lathe.

About a year later, I was ready for a better cue. My dad got a McDermott D4 for himself, with a linen wrap, and I got a D19.

At some point, I picked up a Lucasi. At the time it was pretty cheap, and it was my bar cue. That's the only time I ever took it out.

Anyhow, I played with that D19 for almost 30 years. I just replaced it earlier this year, not because I didn't like it but simply because I wanted to retire it. It has sentimental value to me. To replace it, I bought a very odd McDermott from Kickin' Chicken. It's not really a production model, and has a strange (and confirmed) story behind it. Anyhow, it looks pretty similar to the D19, and really plays just like it. It's one of the last McD made with real half-spliced ebony points. That's my main cue, now.

So other than my first "starter" cue that got put way almost immediately, and the Lucasi that I used as my bar banger, I've basically played with one cue my entire life, which was retired and replaced with another cue which was as similar as I could possibly get.

Anyone else find a cue they like and just hang on to it forever, or do you like to flip every few months?

Kinda funny that your main player is a D19. I like the old McDermotts and found a pretty beat up D19 for sale here. I had it refinished and a G-Core shaft made for it by McDermott and now t looks like new. It was not my intention for it to be an everyday player but it hits so nice I could not leave it sit. I also have a D11, no matter what shaft combinations I try it will not hit like my D19.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Just got a new cue as my main player. Last one I used for 6 years straight.

John Disque

Banned
I've been playing, and breaking-with, the same beat-up, Players SneakyPete, with an Elk Master tip, for more years than I care to count here.

I have purchased some of the most expensive cues on the market but they always get thrown-back-in and I return to this cue because I have confidence in it and it's like my right arm.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda funny that your main player is a D19. I like the old McDermotts and found a pretty beat up D19 for sale here. I had it refinished and a G-Core shaft made for it by McDermott and now t looks like new. It was not my intention for it to be an everyday player but it hits so nice I could not leave it sit. I also have a D11, no matter what shaft combinations I try it will not hit like my D19.

The D4 doesn't hit like the D19 either. There's something special about those old D19s that make them a little unique. I always assumed it was just the fluke combination of McD construction and the maple/ebony wood.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with my southwest for about 10 years now. I have another cue and will have others in the future. My southwest, however, is mine. It has become an extension of me when I play. I don't see a reason to ever part with it.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The D4 doesn't hit like the D19 either. There's something special about those old D19s that make them a little unique. I always assumed it was just the fluke combination of McD construction and the maple/ebony wood.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the Ebony/Maple combo too. Would like to try another but you don't see too many.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was first starting out I went through a whole bunch of lower end starter cues...after a while of buying/selling/trading cues I got a used schon stl1. I played with that cue for a couple of years and then traded it along with $100 for a used stl7. Had that cue for a couple years as well then bought a stl15 new in 2007. In 2008 I ran into a guy that was selling some nice customs in Albany NY...I test hit a Greg Kucharski cue he had for sale and had to have it! I threw my stl15 in a case I had laying around and sold it! Gave the stl7 away to a friend...my search for the "right cue" was over! Been shooting with the GK ever since and it ain't going anywhere anytime soon...

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
For most of my life and my main hustling days I never owned my own cue. Always played with house cues. Worst thing you could do if you wanted to win some money in the bars was walk in with a fancy cue and case.

About 7 years ago I got a table for my house and had to get some cues for it. Got a few one piece house cues and a few pretty decent two piece cues.

Maybe it's from using different cues so much and learning to get used to one pretty fast but really I play about as good (or bad) with one as the next. I've got 3 or 4 that I like better than the others but I don't really play that much better with them.

One day I'll play with one and the next day another. Not saying that's the best way just me.

dnbnt

Just a little "stituos"
Silver Member
I've had a McD D-3 for over 30 years from the factory. Played with it solely for close to 10 years. Guy at my bar at the time wanted to get rid of his D-18 due to frustration w/the Game. Gave him $125 for it on the spot. Another 10 goes by and there's a guy at a different club keeps asking me to sell the D-18. I didn't intend to sell it so kept telling him, ya, for a grand. Well he keeps dogging me about it so I find out he's putting a collection of all D series together and he offers a straight up trade for a 19 freshly refinished so that's my Shooter now! :thumbup:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Olivier ebony/ivory cue, been playing with it since 05. I do know one guy in particular, he switches cues as often as I change undershirts. Not just the cue, but cases as well. I think his case swapping days may be over for a while is he now has one with his name on it. LOL

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a McD D-3 for over 30 years from the factory. Played with it solely for close to 10 years. Guy at my bar at the time wanted to get rid of his D-18 due to frustration w/the Game. Gave him $125 for it on the spot. Another 10 goes by and there's a guy at a different club keeps asking me to sell the D-18. I didn't intend to sell it so kept telling him, ya, for a grand. Well he keeps dogging me about it so I find out he's putting a collection of all D series together and he offers a straight up trade for a 19 freshly refinished so that's my Shooter now! :thumbup:

If McD reissued that one cue, and actually built it right, they'd have a real winner. Out of the entire D series, that seems to be the one people grab and hang on to. I originally ordered mine with a linen wrap, and believe it or not it still has the original wrap on it! I'm going to send it back to McD next year to have it changed to leather.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've been one of Predators most loyal customers over the years. I've had several, but all with Z-family shafts on them from the moment it was introduced. Even my other cues had Z shafts.

I recently switched to Mezz, which IMO is a superior cue in every way, yet I keep coming back to the Z, whenever my game slumps. The playing characteristics of this shaft are etched in my brain.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I never understood using different cues.

Each cue has different deflection, I believe a player subconsciously learns the cue. Switching cues means it's got to be relearned.

Never understood this about a friend. Plays everything but league and tourneys w a sneaky pete, uses his better cue pretty much league only.

Doesn't make sense to me.

What makes someone decide they need to switch?

I suspect vanity and pride are the main motivators.

I've been exclusively playing with my current Gina for 10 years (maybe 11 or 12, my memory is terrible). My previous cue was a Gina I had for maybe 4 years.

I've played with the original Z shafts since they first came out. I have 2 in rotation and a few extra unchalked shafts lying around, just so I know I'll never be without it.

And what do you know.... last year I was able to put in some significant time playing with an 11mm carbon fiber prototype shaft from predator. I can't lie, it was easily the best shaft I've ever used.