Cost of recovering a table.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What would be a fair price be to have an 8' table recovered with Simonis 860, including the price of the cloth?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no mechanic but I would say $500 for a straight recover including the cloth.

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would be a fair price be to have an 8' table recovered with Simonis 860, including the price of the cloth?

Depends on what part of the country, hell can even depend on what part of the state. In Los Angeles you are looking at a minimum of $500, but probably closer to $600 for Simonis. Go about 70 miles away into parts of the Inland Empire and you will find people to do it for $400. I cannot verify this but I have heard of people in rural areas in the midwest having it done for $350.

Also something to keep in mind, The cost is less about the physical act of doing the job and more about the experience a competent technician brings with them to do the job RIGHT the first time!

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Depends on what part of the country, hell can even depend on what part of the state. In Los Angeles you are looking at a minimum of $500, but probably closer to $600 for Simonis. Go about 70 miles away into parts of the Inland Empire and you will find people to do it for $400. I cannot verify this but I have heard of people in rural areas in the midwest having it done for $350.

Also something to keep in mind, The cost is less about the physical act of doing the job and more about the experience a competent technician brings with them to do the job RIGHT the first time!

You got it right! It is definitely not about how cheap you can get it done. Much more about getting it done RIGHT. I don't haggle on my price, always busy and not into working for less :)

Trent from Toledo

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I concur! It’s skilled labor. I would not go for the lowest bid in this endeavor. I’m speaking from personal experience here.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You got it right! It is definitely not about how cheap you can get it done. Much more about getting it done RIGHT. I don't haggle on my price, always busy and not into working for less :)

Trent from Toledo

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I had to have my bed recovered, rails were already done when I had them modified. I asked around to find out who was doing local tables, I got a few different answers from different places so I went and looked at how well their tables looked and held up. I was less than impressed with all of the examples, after searching for a couple of months I decided to get the how to DVD RKC produced and I did my table myself. Im back in the same boat again right now now that I wore my cloth out after 6-7 years of use but this time I will attempt to do the rails myself too. Time to order another DVD. I think the most important thing to do is go check out some of the tables that the mechanic you select has already done. Is the cloth loose? Stretch shadows? Cloth lifting up at corners or even duct taped down? Those would all be deal breakers for me.

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

Exactly Trent. One thing I have noticed over the years, it is usually very simple to tell a quality technician over just a person doing a job. When you talk to a quality tech they are always willing to talk about the work, its almost like they are talking about their own children because they have pride in their work. On the other hand, when you talk to someone who is just doing a job their answers are vague, monotone, just wanting to get the job and get your money. They don't care about the work they do so they never do quality work.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wholeheartedly agree!!! I had to have my bed recovered, rails were already done when I had them modified. I asked around to find out who was doing local tables, I got a few different answers from different places so I went and looked at how well their tables looked and held up. I was less than impressed with all of the examples, after searching for a couple of months I decided to get the how to DVD RKC produced and I did my table myself. Im back in the same boat again right now now that I wore my cloth out after 6-7 years of use but this time I will attempt to do the rails myself too. Time to order another DVD. I think the most important thing to do is go check out some of the tables that the mechanic you select has already done. Is the cloth loose? Stretch shadows? Cloth lifting up at corners or even duct taped down? Those would all be deal breakers for me.

I heard the shadows disappear in a week. However I’ve seen the nose of the cushions scalloped and that will not disappear

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I heard the shadows disappear in a week. However I’ve seen the nose of the cushions scalloped and that will not disappear

Stretch shadows should not be there, its from over/ uneven stretching. If you look very closely at the grain of the cloth you can see it.

Dimples are no fun either!

Trent from Toledo

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Whenever i need to pay someone else to perform a task that i can’t do myself, the amount of money coming out of my pocket is not as important as who’s pocket it’s going into...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Whenever i need to pay someone else to perform a task that i can’t do myself, the amount of money coming out of my pocket is not as important as who’s pocket it’s going into...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

Bravo!!!!!!

What a fantastic way to explain that.

Its kinda like the craftsman who says "I would rather explain the price than apologize for the quality".

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stretch shadows should not be there, its from over/ uneven stretching. If you look very closely at the grain of the cloth you can see it.

Dimples are no fun either!

Trent from Toledo

I just had a mechanic tell me it’s almost impossible not to get stretch shadows but they go away.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I just had a mechanic tell me it’s almost impossible not to get stretch shadows but they go away.

This is a lame excuse for poor work.

Mechanics maintain machinery. Maybe that's why he doesn't know how to properly install cloth on a pool table.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I just had a
mechanic tell me it’s almost impossible
not to get stretch shadows but they
go away.

72300712_1142516125958414_7663720891708080128_n.jpg

Not saying I am perfect by any means,
but, that is Bull$h1t. I strongly agree
that most have excuses for their poor
quality of work.

That was installed last weds.
Not a single shadow and it is stretched
so tight you could break dance on it.
I use 4" paddle pliers, they are actually
called "Hand seamers", but, I appropriately
renamed them because with Jessup
Skateboard Grip tape on the top and bottoms,
they are a great tool!

wiss-specialty-hand-tools-ws3n-64_1000.jpg

Geoff,
No offense of course! I may not work
on machinery, but, in the context of this
forum I am listed in the forums "Mechanics"
directory. Also, the Talk to a "Mechanic"
section is what we are posting in on this forum.
It is very clear that the term is defined differently
than it's use here, so I find it ridiculous to keep
pointing that out. Call yourself what ever you
want, but, I am fine with "Billiard Mechanic" :)
Ever hear of JZ Mechanix the owner of Billiard
Mechanix? He is one of the best out there :)

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

Last edited:

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where are these available?
TIA
Tim

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Geoff,
No offense of course! I may not work
on machinery, but, in the context of this
forum I am listed in the forums "Mechanics"
directory. Also, the Talk to a "Mechanic"
section is what we are posting in on this forum.
It is very clear that the term is defined differently
than it's use here, so I find it ridiculous to keep
pointing that out. Call yourself what ever you
want, but, I am fine with "Billiard Mechanic" :)
Ever hear of JZ Mechanix the owner of Billiard
Mechanix? He is one of the best out there :)

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

To each their own. I prefer not to use misnomers, if it can be avoided.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
To each their own.
I prefer not to use misnomers,
if it can be avoided.

Not sure if it can be avoided
because of the reasons I listed.
After all this is called Talk to a Mechanic :)

Here is my version of the Pro Am,
not a single shadow!:thumbup:

49389784_10218381897761735_6318133880121458688_n.jpg