Louie Roberts / Keith McCready - Good Stuff!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read Earl's opinion of the best 9-ball players once, and he had Louie and Wimpy on it. A few others also, but I'm not remembering the others. He did leave himself off the list, iirc.

As we all know, there has been a lot of speculation about Earl for a while now but, we "ALL" have to say:

Earl showed a lot of class by not including himself on the list eventhough, even the people that didn't like Earl would have agreed that he MOST DEFINITELY belonged on the list.

Some people (a couple on this site too) cannot help but put themselves in the spotlight when telling stories about people that are/were great.....eventhough, they themselves weren't "spotlight worthy", not even on their best day.

Sometimes people tell themselves they're this or that until eventually, they believe it themselves.

Earl was/is a very, very nice person. He is much more than just a pool player. Very intelligent man.

Jeff

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing Louie

Louie stayed in Dallas for a couple of months and I got to know him and became
friends Very charismatic, funny, and just fun to be around. Couple of quick stories.
During the day when nothing was happening, we would play some cheap $ 5 a
game, adjust the next day depending on who won. We are playing and I miss
a pretty easy 9 ball and he says "you will go broke missing shots like that Jack".
I say "well, it's going to take me a long time to go broke at $5 a game" Louie is
aiming at a long straight in on the 9 and turns his head to look at me (the Tom Cruz
look away shot) with a huge smile and says "I HOPE SO" and rifles it in . Hilarious.
Louie had gone broke to someone, (not an uncommon occurrence) and was trying
to" borrow" some money from everyone in the place to keep playing. He had no
luck since everyone had had a dose of that. He stands around talking to to someone
and starts screwing his cue together walking toward the table. Eddie Burton
(I beleive ) yells "hey Louie", Louie turns and Eddie lowers his voice and says
"can I get half of that air barrel". Great times.
jack

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Louie stayed in Dallas for a couple of months and I got to know him and became
friends Very charismatic, funny, and just fun to be around. Couple of quick stories.
During the day when nothing was happening, we would play some cheap $ 5 a
game, adjust the next day depending on who won. We are playing and I miss
a pretty easy 9 ball and he says "you will go broke missing shots like that Jack".
I say "well, it's going to take me a long time to go broke at $5 a game" Louie is
aiming at a long straight in on the 9 and turns his head to look at me (the Tom Cruz
look away shot) with a huge smile and says "I HOPE SO" and rifles it in . Hilarious.
Louie had gone broke to someone, (not an uncommon occurrence) and was trying
to" borrow" some money from everyone in the place to keep playing. He had no
luck since everyone had had a dose of that. He stands around talking to to someone
and starts screwing his cue together walking toward the table. Eddie Burton
(I beleive ) yells "hey Louie", Louie turns and Eddie lowers his voice and says
"can I get half of that air barrel". Great times.
jack

Thanks Jack. I always say that I had more fun in the poolroom than anywhere else in life. I never laughed so hard anywhere else. The pool players were a funny bunch of people. I wish I could remember half the funny lines I heard from way back when.

Here's one for you that's R rated. I hope this does not offend anyone on here, but I always used to say f'c 'em if they can't take a joke! So I was talking to Buddy one day at an early DCC (maybe around 2004 or 5) and we began to talk about our sex life. I didn't have a GF at the time so I wasn't getting much action. Buddy was married of course but being older like me, he didn't get it up too often anymore. With one exception! He told me, "When I wake up in the morning and have to pee, my cock is as hard as the crank on a John Deere tractor. I see no need to waste it so I wake my wife and get to work!" I just busted out laughing the way he told me that little tale.

There was a match going on nearby and our laughing was bothering them, so we had to move away from the table. Billy Johnson/Wade Crane was another seriously funny man. He had this sly sense of humor that always got me going. I'll try to think of one of his good ones later. Gotta go take my dog to the vet now. I never had a dog all my life and now we've got this little dog that I take out for walks so she can relieve herself (and I clean it up), feed her every day and generally care for her. I spend almost as much time shopping for her as we do shopping for our own food. My wife even has me picking out little outfits for her to wear. I never saw this coming when I was running pool rooms and gambling every day. :D

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jack. I always say that I had more fun in the poolroom than anywhere else in life. I never laughed so hard anywhere else. The pool players were a funny bunch of people. I wish I could remember half the funny lines I heard from way back when.

Here's one for you that's X rated. I hope this does not offend anyone on here, but I always used to say f'c 'em if they can't take a joke! So I was talking to Buddy one day at an early DCC (maybe around 2004 or 5) and we began to talk about our sex life. I didn't have a GF at the time so I wasn't getting much action. Buddy was married of course but being older like me, he didn't get it up too often either. With one exception! He told me, "When I wake up in the morning and have to pee, my cock is as hard as the crank on a John Deere tractor. I see no need to waste it so I wake my wife and get to work!" I just busted out laughing the way he told me that little tale.

There was a match going on nearby and our laughing was bothering them, so we had to move away from the table. Billy Johnson/Wade Crane was another seriously funny man. He had this sly sense of humor that always got me going. I'll try to think of one of his good ones later. Gotta go take my dog to the vet now. I never had a dog all my life and now we've got this little dog that I take out for walks so she can relieve herself (and I clean it up), feed her every day and generally care for her. I spend almost as much time shopping for her as we do shopping for our own food. My wife even has me picking out little outfits for her to wear. I never saw this coming when I was running pool rooms and gambling every day. :D

Buddy was so funny. Thanks for the great story.

About the dog, well, I know the feeling. They have a way of growing on you. ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy was so funny. Thanks for the great story.

About the dog, well, I know the feeling. They have a way of growing on you. ;)

I'm glad you're not offended. I was worried about posting something R rated on here. I thought about using the correct word for the private part but decided not to and see what happened. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The Rack...1978
Louie arrives....needed to get in action...no money....said his car was running on fumes.
...made a game...got a backer...he won...took his end and lost giving up a big spot.
...he kept doing this for at least 24 hours....making horrible games with his money.

At the end, when he just had to get some sleep, he’d lost over 7Gs of his own money...
...for the backers, he was batting a thousand.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Rack...1978
Louie arrives....needed to get in action...no money....said his car was running on fumes.
...made a game...got a backer...he won...took his end and lost giving up a big spot.
...he kept doing this for at least 24 hours....making horrible games with his money.

At the end, when he just had to get some sleep, he’d lost over 7Gs of his own money...
...for the backers, he was batting a thousand.

That's Louie in a nutshell. I let him burn up my money a couple of times before I wised up. After we made a score and chopped it up, I took my end and left! Louie almost always came back to the room dead broke. I took him on one little West Coast trip for a couple of weeks. Louie played every day and I came home with over four grand in my pocket and Louie had maybe twenty bucks.

Of course he stayed in my home "recuperating" for the next month or so. It was a chore to keep the booze away from him. I didn't want him drunk in front of my young daughter. I finally had enough and gave him $200 and put him on a plane back to Memphis.

I loved Louie but he was like a misguided child in an adult body. He had many gifts, not just pool. He was a great athlete and could do a better Elvis impersonation than any of these guys today. He could sing just like Elvis and had all his moves down pat. He was like a shooting star burning brightly across the sky for a brief moment. He lived for forty wild and crazy years and no one who ever met him will ever forget him.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's Louie in a nutshell. I let him burn up my money a couple of times before I wised up. After we made a score and chopped it up, I took my end and left! Louie almost always came back to the room dead broke. I took him on one little West Coast trip for a couple of weeks. Louie played every day and I came home with over four grand in my pocket and Louie had maybe twenty bucks.

Of course he stayed in my home "recuperating" for the next month or so. It was a chore to keep the booze away from him. I didn't want him drunk in front of my young daughter. I finally had enough and gave him $200 and put him on a plane back to Memphis.

I loved Louie but he was like a misguided child in an adult body. He had many gifts, not just pool. He was a great athlete and could do a better Elvis impersonation than any of these guys today. He could sing just like Elvis and had all his moves down pat. He was like a shooting star burning brightly across the sky for a brief moment. He lived for forty wild and crazy years and no one who ever met him will ever forget him.

My favorite Louie quote....I gotta do this multiple times.

A reporter kept bugging Louie to give him a ballpark figure on how much money he’d lost.
..Louie finally says “Would you believe a down payment on an aircraft carrier?”