Predator 3.14/Bad Repair

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi,

I have in my store a broken Predator shaft. this shaft have broken ferrule and 1 laminate/piece separeted (4 inches).

Repair it would be easy but client try glued piece with Super Glue before and your work was horrible :mad: so repair this shaft will be Tedious now for my for super glue remainders,

Any suggestion?

(I promise put here photos of the before and later :wink:)

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
There is nothing worse than trying to repair a cue that someone has already tried to repair. I would see if you can get the delaminated piece to close completely, with no gaps. If so, open it up and run a bead of wood glue in the gap, making sure it closes again. If not, good luck.....

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ryan and myself don't turn away to many repair jobs, the best thing you can do is, leave it alone and have him buy another shaft.

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diagnostic is bad: 3 cracks, possibly damaged tenon, ferrule not in center and someone has already tried to repair before with Super Glue.
I advise in not repair but client insists in repair it. you desire me luck¡¡¡

Tuesday I will put photos of the repair.

Imagen004.jpg

Imagen002.jpg

Last edited:

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you try to repair that one it may come back and bite you in the butt.
There is a time when you need to say no and this may be one of them.
It only takes one oh sh*t to kill 1000 at-a boys.
Send it back to Predator and let them make the call.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Diagnostic is bad: 3 cracks, possibly damaged tenon, ferrule not in center and someone has already tried to repair before with Super Glue.
I advise in not repair but client insists in repair it. you desire me luck¡¡¡

Tuesday I will put photos of the repair.

Imagen004.jpg

Imagen002.jpg

Thats a simple fix, only cost you about $250

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Repair?

It looks like this one will wind up being firewood. I see that you are located in Spain, this may be why your customer is insisting that you try to fix this. The only way this can be fixed properly is by replacing it with a new one. Even if a repair attempt puts it back together, it will never hit the way a Predator shaft is supposed to. Good luck with this customer.

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bad repair

You need to be firm with the customer. Don't waste you time or his/her money. Tell them to buy a new one,
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I finished this repair.

Frist, I recommend at my client that the repair was not good option, but he dont have money for buy other new shaft.
Second, I cant warranty this work when someone tried repair it before, so I decided, exceptional form, not charge repair for the moment. Only if in 3 months shaft will be perfect then my client will pay me.
Third, I notified at my client that hit of this shaft will be different, possibly.

Well, so I decided to repair it. This was process:

- Bore old ferrule. (Tenon has a small crack)
- I opened laminates and apply a product that eliminates the Super Glue. (hard process in 1 hour)
- You know that Predator shafts have a interior hole/gap, Then I fill with wood glue and with custom long maple tenon, compressed all for 24 hours.
- Then I installed a custom titan ferrule, compressed all for 12 hours.
- Tip and pad.....
- Then I sanded and aplyed shaft sealer.

The final result has been the expected in a 95% because I can see two small line of old Super Glue, however I believe that shaft assembly will have sufficient consistency.

In few hours I will put final photos.

notes: Do not you do this without adult supervision :wink:

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that this repair would be perfect 100% if nobody tried to repair it before with Super Glue. You can see two small line of old Super Glue.

I am play pool with my client now and shaft not broken¡¡¡:thumbup:

has a good sound and a good hit, we expect now 3 months.......:confused:

Imagen002-vert.jpg

Last edited: