Ring game dispute

Who is correct?

• Total voters

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since when does it NOT count on the break?

That's a good question, since it used to be the case that sinking the ten ball on the break was a win, but now the rule is that it's spotted. That's according to all of the rule sets I can find, BCA, WPA, et.al.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good question, since it used to be the case that sinking the ten ball on the break was a win, but now the rule is that it's spotted. That's according to all of the rule sets I can find, BCA, WPA, et.al.

One of the many, many reasons I no longer play rotation games seriously. I mean, how many times has ANYONE not a professional like Cory Duel, for instance, made the 10 on the break??

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"That guy" is Dima, one of DD's backers. He decided to rake the balls because DD was losing 14-2 in a race to 15 and he decided to concede the match to renegotiate the weight for a rematch the following night.

I see - I didn't watch the entire match. That explains why the guy didn't make much of an argument. He knew he had the nuts.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I jump into a ten ball ring game in a pool hall, I assume anything goes...
...if I make the ten on the break, I expect to get paid.

If someone wants to cite the latest rules of any organization, he should've declared before
a ball was struck..
Call shot , call shot with the option, ten doesn't count on the break or in certain pockets,
ten must be made in order.....these are Johnny come lately rules....say that's how you
want to play....I'll probably decide not to play......
....but I don't want to hear that the latest fad is the ONLY way to play.

Ten ball has been around a long time...traditionally played like nine ball.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I jump into a ten ball ring game in a pool hall, I assume anything goes...
...if I make the ten on the break, I expect to get paid.

If someone wants to cite the latest rules of any organization, he should've declared before
a ball was struck..
Call shot , call shot with the option, ten doesn't count on the break or in certain pockets,
ten must be made in order.....these are Johnny come lately rules....say that's how you
want to play....I'll probably decide not to play......
....but I don't want to hear that the latest fad is the ONLY way to play.

Ten ball has been around a long time...traditionally played like nine ball.

Ten ball on the break is spotted, that's how it's played these days. I don't know when it changed, but that's what all the rules I could find say.

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ring game

"C": they're both idiots.
Best answer yet ....Ill start a poll for this response as best so far

One of the many, many reasons I no longer play rotation games seriously. I mean, how many times has ANYONE not a professional like Cory Duel, for instance, made the 10 on the break??

and Ive seen someone make it 4 times in a row in the racking corners.

I have played many Ring games from $500 to $5 and ive never played a 9 ball or 10 ball ring game where is counts in the racking corners, I am the person who said it doesnt count and it was with a few friends and its my mistake not telling him before we started but I thought they knew that was the way we always played it.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have played many Ring games from $500 to $5 and ive never played a 9 ball or 10 ball ring game where is counts in the racking corners, I am the person who said it doesnt count and it was with a few friends and its my mistake not telling him before we started but I thought they knew that was the way we always played it.

Sounds like bar rules to me, meaning, whatever rules you feel like until someone objects. :)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've never even HEARD of a ring game where the money ball on the break does not count. Tournament play, one on one, yes. But never in a ring game. 58 years.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not? Since when does it NOT count on the break?

As jviss said, rules are now different for 10 ball.. sometimes it won't count
on the break, it gets spotted. It's not 9 ball rules with an extra ball.
I've seen tournaments where it counts on the break only in the sides or
back corner pockets.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone remember when making the Eight ball was a win on the break! :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Does anyone remember when making the Eight ball was a win on the break! :thumbup:

I never heard of getting paid on the eight.....
...but I played in nine ball ring games where the five and nine were money balls...
...the five was worth half the money as the nine...
...and they were re-spotted if made out of turn.

My record was getting paid five times in one game....
,...I used to send 'em airmail

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hey Jay
In the Monday night bar league I play in, 8 on the break used to count as a RUN, no $hit. They just changed it this year that its only a win now & not a run. Fact is I just made the 8 on the break Monday night against a pretty top notch player, he wasn`t happy at all. But knows its the league rules.

Also league still plays in the kitchen on stratches (no ball in hand)
Pretty rinkie dinkie league, but its close to home & passes for a night out.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never heard of getting paid on the eight.....
...but I played in nine ball ring games where the five and nine were money balls...
...the five was worth half the money as the nine...
...and they were re-spotted if made out of turn.

My record was getting paid five times in one game....
,...I used to send 'em airmail

I'm talking about Eight Ball here, not 9-Ball. I thought that everyone would pick up on that right away. :rolleyes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes! For years and years!

There you go. Why they, in their infinite wisdom, changed that rule is beyond me. I used to give out a twenty dollar bill to the next player who made the eight on the break in the U.S. Bar Table Championships, and it would often take hours for someone to win it, and they were playing on 32 tables at once!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm talking about Eight Ball here, not 9-Ball. I thought that everyone would pick up on that right away. :rolleyes:

I guess I just don't think about eight ball much....the game I hardly ever played.
...bar boxes and unenlightened rules were not what got me hooked to billiard games.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I just don't think about eight ball much....the game I hardly ever played.
...bar boxes and unenlightened rules were not what got me hooked to billiard games.

In the old days, bar pool was where the easy money was. And the game was Eight Ball. But the rules were different almost everywhere you played. I liked to watch a few games first to see what rules they were using before I put my quarter up. Just doing my due diligence. :rolleyes:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

Yes, Boy's Club, 1962..also remember being allowed to move the cue ball off the rail by the width of the butt of the cue. :)

Seriously, even in pool rooms, 8 on the break won.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the old days, bar pool was where the easy money was. And the game was Eight Ball. But the rules were different almost everywhere you played. I liked to watch a few games first to see what rules they were using before I put my quarter up. Just doing my due diligence. :rolleyes:

My 8 ball days were pretty much behind me after the fall of 1973. When I started playing in commercial pool rooms in the NE I seldom even saw the game played, at least not by the players.