The Post-Match Handshake: My Opinion Has, Once Again, Been Solicited …

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
(Yes, you louts, some folks do ask for - - and do value - - my adjudication!)

Dear Gentle Readers,

Since I’ve agreed to serve, pro tem, as the Ms. Manners of pool emporia, please do try to pay attention. Thank you. Ever so much.

So, after a tensely-contested … um, contest … to shake hands or not to shake hands?

(Didn’t Billy Shakespeare have something to say re: to, or not to?)

Back to the after-match handshake … some forum observers deny any outreach responsibility on behalf of the losing participant. Other advocates draw a line of demarcation between tournament and money matches.

Fortunately - - for all of you uncertain petitioners - - the widely-acclaimed Sunny-Stipulation is at once precise and eloquent:

When there is a pre-match handshake, a post-match handshake is appropriate.

Either party can, of course, elect to abrogate. Can opt to be boorish.

Deconstructing life is my life,

Sunny

P. S. There are still some apologists who continue to cling to that hoary ‘heat of the moment’ excuse for not shaking hands. Sorry. There is no mitigation - - no matter how excruciating the loss may be - - for churlish deportment.

Thus spaketh Sunny … oh, never mind!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I'm a pre-game "Good Luck, play well" type of guy. In a tourney I might be inclined to also shake hands. Not in money matches though.

And in either case, I'm a post game handshake type of guy with a conciliatory compliment. :D

I'm a supporter of sportsmanship, having learned the hard way.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
If it's the little league baseball post game hand slap, don't bother as it means nothing.

I believe in looking my opponent in the eye and being sincere with my comments and compliments. I make it a point to pick out something in their game that I appreciated and tell them. I seldom say the obligatory "Good Game" anymore. It just comes off hollow and meaningless.

I want my actions to leave as much of an impression as my game. Hopefully my opponent walks away felling that both were good.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will generally give a pre-game hand shake with a sincere "good luck" then after the match weather I'm winner or looser I will exchange a hand shake again.

It bothers me when someone wont shake my hand after a match...Its a slap in the face to me. One of my league team mates and I found ourselves playing each other for the hot seat at a tournament...I won the match and went to shake my buddy's hand and he just turned and walked away. When I asked him about it later he told me "I'm just a sore looser so you can put your panties away" ...I couldn't believe my own team mate would act this way. Three of us from our team ended up being the final 3 so we just split it 3 ways but I lost a little respect for that guy.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
(Yes, you louts, some folks do ask for - - and do value - - my adjudication!)

Dear Gentle Readers,

Since I’ve agreed to serve, pro tem, as the Ms. Manners of pool emporia, please do try to pay attention. Thank you. Ever so much.

So, after a tensely-contested … um, contest … to shake hands or not to shake hands?

(Didn’t Billy Shakespeare have something to say re: to, or not to?)

Back to the after-match handshake … some forum observers deny any outreach responsibility on behalf of the losing participant. Other advocates draw a line of demarcation between tournament and money matches.

Fortunately - - for all of you uncertain petitioners - - the widely-acclaimed Sunny-Stipulation is at once precise and eloquent:

When there is a pre-match handshake, a post-match handshake is appropriate.

Sunny

P. S. There are still some apologists who continue to cling to that hoary ‘heat of the moment’ excuse for not shaking hands. Sorry. There is no mitigation - - no matter how excruciating the loss may be - - for churlish deportment.

Sunny...next time you have a fire in the fireplace...please toss your dictionary into the fire. You use more $2.00 words than Mark Wilson!!!

Maniac (will shake hands before and after the match)

Banks

Banned
I will generally give a pre-game hand shake with a sincere "good luck" then after the match weather I'm winner or looser I will exchange a hand shake again.

It bothers me when someone wont shake my hand after a match...Its a slap in the face to me. One of my league team mates and I found ourselves playing each other for the hot seat at a tournament...I won the match and went to shake my buddy's hand and he just turned and walked away. When I asked him about it later he told me "I'm just a sore looser so you can put your panties away" ...I couldn't believe my own team mate would act this way. Three of us from our team ended up being the final 3 so we just split it 3 ways but I lost a little respect for that guy.

He told you to put your panties away? What a tool. Maybe he needs to suck it up and not act like a baby.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Yeah I can't stand sore losers. I would never not attempt to shake my opponent's hand after a match. Being gracious in defeat is what separates the men from the "panty-wastes". ;)

cluelesscuer

Post match can be a sensitive time...

If I win...I always try to keep brief, like a 'good game'. A lot of people who lose, just want to get the hand shake over with and don't want to hear a speech from the winner...so I just keep it brief.

If I lose (and I'm not too mad at myself), I am more like to say something more than 'good game' and pay my compliments.

Last edited:

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
It's not just a handshake

Lets hear everyone's favorite post match commiserations to the loser. I'll start with my favorite efren response "I got lucky there....."

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Really. I played on what we call the Advanced Division in our league.

We lost our first game and got knocked into the one loss side. Our second match in, we played a very good team. One that can handily beat us most times.

Seems funny but when we get put into pressure situations as in a tourney, we can really pull together as a team.

Well, we received 3 points a round handicap from theses guys. I am not a huge proponent in handicap points, specially in tourney play but it is not my decision

Well, we all played well and knocked these guys out. As the team was walking out the door, one guy said, "You can thank us for giving you the handicap points".

Next year, the LO is not going to be using Handicaps and that is alright with me.
Run what ya brung buddy.

BTW, I beat 3 of their players with a much higher handicap than I, and left them with several balls on the table. No shame on my part.

TCIndepMo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything post game often has little to do with the actual pool shooting. It's usually the attitude and behavior of the other player.that is most significant.

If you're a jerk - you get little from me (win or lose).

If you're not a jerk - a neutral sounding "Good match" will probably be it.

I've noticed there is often very little difference between subtle hostility and/or indifferent courtesy in the way a player says the words, body language, etc. With some people (especially strangers) it can be hard to tell if the words are sincere or "smart ass" in nature. And YES, I realize with some players it is most obvious what their "F U" factor is! LOL.

Why are we even talking about this? I have no idea when you last washed your hands anyway.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I know that yer just teasing but in reality, every ball on the table has been touched by someone whos finger has gone thru the paper while wiping their butt.

Shake their hand in earnest and go scrub your paws down.

Then go have your cue re wrapped cause you no doubt have someone elses poop on your wrap. Think about that every time you take a shot.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I know that yer just teasing but in reality, every ball on the table has been touched by someone whos finger has gone thru the paper while wiping their butt.

Shake their hand in earnest and go scrub your paws down.

Then go have your cue re wrapped cause you no doubt have someone elses poop on your wrap. Think about that every time you take a shot.

Gawd! Now you've taken my thought away from the dollars in my wallet having been in some stripper's butt crack...

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You can tell by the smell.

We have plastic money in Canada now. That should make the OCD crowd happy as they can be washed.

You could wipe your bum with a 20 and wash it off in the sink.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
(Yes, you louts, some folks do ask for - - and do value - - my adjudication!) :p

Dear Gentle Readers,

Since I’ve agreed to serve, pro tem, as the Ms. Manners of pool emporia, please do try to pay attention. Thank you. Ever so much. :rolleyes:

So, after a tensely-contested … um, contest … to shake hands or not to shake hands? <----- Finally, the question! ( I shudda just looked for the Question mark!)
;) :p

(Didn’t Billy Shakespeare have something to say re: to, or not to?) It's William,...... "Muffy."

Back to the after-match handshake …(ok) some forum observers deny any outreach responsibility on behalf of the losing participant. Other advocates draw a line of demarcation between tournament and money matches.

Fortunately - - for all of you uncertain petitioners - - the widely-acclaimed Sunny-Stipulation is at once precise and eloquent: <--- Not so sure about that.

When there is a pre-match handshake, a post-match handshake is appropriate. 2 handshakes ?? huh ?? :scratchhead:

Sunny

Nothing before, just lag and "Get it on." Afterward if you have a good opp and a good match, its always nice to acknowledge you opp in some respectful way (win or lose). The meaningless diction before and after your match is never obligatory. :smile:

P.S.
Only 1 "P.S." in this post ???? You are slipping :D

If it's the little league baseball post game hand slap, don't bother as it means nothing.

I believe in looking my opponent in the eye and being sincere with my comments and compliments. I make it a point to pick out something in their game that I appreciated and tell them. I seldom say the obligatory "Good Game" anymore. It just comes off hollow and meaningless.

I want my actions to leave as much of an impression as my game. Hopefully my opponent walks away felling that both were good.
Well said Chris !

You can tell by the smell. <--- Wondering how Hog knows the diff between Kandie koo & Moose butt ?!? :scratchhead: Wait,..... nevermind,...... I dunna wanna know !! :eek:

We have plastic money in Canada now. That should make the OCD crowd happy as they can be washed.

You could wipe your bum with a 20 and wash it off in the sink.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Everyone that knows me knows that I hate losing,sometimes I can just laugh it off but when winning means getting to prove something,I can't stand it,and sometimes I get a little animated.

But you know what else? The ONLY times I've not actually got to complete the post-match handshake is when the opponent decided to be a bozo,I've always at least tried,no matter how bad the loss hurt. There are about 5 times I can clearly remember it,from single game tournaments to 1000 dollar sets.

To hell with anything else,that's ME. Tommy D.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I can be be a sore loser, more often than I care to admit. But I am ALWAYS the one to initiate the handshake after every match. And I always try to be in the moment during that handshake, with whatever pleasantries seem to fit at the time. I can be sore as hell to myself, but not to my opponent.

Before the match, I'm ambivalent. I will if my opponent initiates it, and will always say "good luck" or some such, but the handshake before isn't as important, at least to me. (The more I think about it, the "pre-match" handshake happens more often when I'm playing people that I don't know, in the league tri-cups or states. During our regular weekly league matches, we all know each other so the introduction isn't necessary.)