Pocket size and alterations question

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Our community center has an 8ft table (largest the room will accommodate) with approx. 5-inch pockets, point-to-point. It works well for us because most of the players are either very new to the game or 65+ years old. Smaller pockets would make the game too difficult, we'd lose players and then we'd lose the room (the managers of the community center aren't going to keep a room dedicated to a use that's only for 8-10 people...so let's not argue about it, okay?)

Anyway, we'd like to upgrade the table to something like Diamond or Gold Crown. I see that they make 8 or 8-1/2 foot tables but I'm concerned about the pocket size (and the shelf of the Diamond).

But if you "widen" the pocket by increasing the angle-cut of the cushion aren't you going to cause balls to more easily rattle out? It seems like a no-win compromise: a ball will rebound into a tighter pocket but rattle out if you cut the point-to-point cushion opening wider.

Is my logic about the angle-cut of the cushion correct?

Any suggestions for a high quality table with approximately 5-inch pockets?

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
There's a possibility that if you call Diamond, they might cut you a 5" pocketed 8' or 9' table.

Never know till you ask.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Our community center has an 8ft table (largest the room will accommodate) with approx. 5-inch pockets, point-to-point. It works well for us because most of the players are either very new to the game or 65+ years old. Smaller pockets would make the game too difficult, we'd lose players and then we'd lose the room (the managers of the community center aren't going to keep a room dedicated to a use that's only for 8-10 people...so let's not argue about it, okay?)

Anyway, we'd like to upgrade the table to something like Diamond or Gold Crown. I see that they make 8 or 8-1/2 foot tables but I'm concerned about the pocket size (and the shelf of the Diamond).

But if you "widen" the pocket by increasing the angle-cut of the cushion aren't you going to cause balls to more easily rattle out? It seems like a no-win compromise: a ball will rebound into a tighter pocket but rattle out if you cut the point-to-point cushion opening wider.

Diamond has an 8ft ProAm or Professional that can have 4 3/4" pockets that play like a 5" corner pocket if you'd like, let me know...I can set that up for you if you'd like.

Glen

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

The short answer is yes, you are correct. If you simply change the angle so the pockets are 5" at the mouth (but keep the existing measurement at the throat), balls will rattle more. But that is not the correct way to go about making the pockets bigger. :grin-square:

Last edited: