Beginners cue?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend a Schmelke but not the 60” hackberry. Hackberry is a very light wood and the weight bolt in these makes the balance point feel very end heavy. My weight bolt was HUGE and weighed about 6 ounces. I’ve had one and sold it. I’ve had a lot of Schmelkes and it’s the only one I didn’t like.

Serious question - would it matter if the OP wanted a 17oz stick?

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
If you don't mind used, go on over to the Classifieds Wanted section and start a post with your price range. You may be able to pick up a decent used Pechauer, Joss, or Jacoby in the $300 range. Make sure your Inbox has room, you're likely to get flooded with offers.

This... Pechauer, Joss and maybe Jacoby. Great cues in that price range.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Forgot them. You do get a lot a cue for the $ with a Players. Made in same factory as Lucasi. Played with one of these a while back: https://www.seyberts.com/purex-hxtsn-pool-cue Helluva cue for for 150bux. Tip alone will run you 40 installed. With a case!!

I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I purchased a Players cue at Academy Sports and Outdoors eight or nine years ago and it's a very good hitting cue. I paid less than $75 for it. Has a piloted 5/16x18 joint pin and it's still straight after all these years. It's in my case that I take to bars that I won't take my good stuff into.

That Players cue in your link is a very nice looking cue and as I prefer a wrapless cue I could see myself owning that cue if I didn't already own so many and especially if I was a beginner. I have an HXT shaft and it's pretty nice for the cost. Get the best tip to your liking and that cue would be more than enough.

Maniac

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning all.
I have searched but the threads results are stale.

I'm looking for your current thoughts on what cue would be best for a beginner. I am looking to spend around $150 - $350.
Is that reasonable?
What are the most solid brands.
The Brunswick branded cues that came when I purchased the table are 2 piece wood of varying weights of 18-21 oz.
I like the 19 oz the best & use the 21 pz to break.

Thoughts?
Best Joe

Hey Joe, keep this in mind when purchasing a modern cue:

The "average" production cue plays better than the high-end cues of yesteryear..... by far.

I would buy a cue that was in ballpark of $125 to $200 and then upgrade to whatever you "GROW" into later on.

Or.....

Just become a world beater with a players brand cue. I've seen Dennis O, Alex and many others run rack after rack with house cues.

Post pics of whatever you decide to go with. I like pics of "cues"..... all cues, not just expensive cues.

Good luck, Sir!

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
A beat up dufferin house cue was the best hittin cue i ever picked up
But finding that one that meshes with you might not be so easy

Dufferin as well for quality affordable great playing cues is another option

Damn, you and I must have close to the same taste in playing cues. If I'm ever in Houston, TX area, we're matching up. :thumbup:

Pool! Not billiards :cool:

A one piece Dufferin with a good tip, I can play great with it.

Attachments

• hustler1redos_0000_Layer 6.jpg
    hustler1redos_0000_Layer 6.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 292

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d get a cue with a shaft that has some low-deflection properties. Less of a transition later. Something like a Pure X for $150.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Damn, you and I must have close to the same taste in playing cues. If I'm ever in Houston, TX area, we're matching up. :thumbup:

Pool! Not billiards :cool:

A one piece Dufferin with a good tip, I can play great with it.

i like em plain, like a broom stick lol
like the one in my avatar pic

would love to,

Last edited:
Something made of wood that has a leather tip. If you are playing only at home, just get some Valley or Dufferin one-piece cues in different weights, you'll eventually notice that you prefer one over the others. Then you can start shopping for a two-piece.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning all.
I have searched but the threads results are stale.

I'm looking for your current thoughts on what cue would be best for a beginner. I am looking to spend around $150 - $350.
Is that reasonable?
What are the most solid brands.
The Brunswick branded cues that came when I purchased the table are 2 piece wood of varying weights of 18-21 oz.
I like the 19 oz the best & use the 21 pz to break.

Thoughts?
Best Joe

New Meucci with a Pro shaft.

I have a couple.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Hey Joe
I have a used Schon cue, 4 rounded ebony points with a spear or triangle inlay at the bottom of the points,has a few small scuff marks maybe a nick here or there, the butt rolls straight, Hoppe ring, black/white spec linen wrap, SS 5/16x14 pin, shaft has roll / wobble in the middle of shaft but its playable, cue weighs 19.2oz with shaft & butt together.
I`ll throw in a set of JP`s with it & a used 1x2 cue case. All for $300 shipped Paypal (friends & family) in the US. Let me know if this would be of interest to ya sir. PM me your email address & I`ll send you some pics of it. I also have a Kenny Koo shaft that matches up quite well with this Schon butt. I`d sell the Koo shaft for another $150 as well. Koo shaft rolls straight, wt; 3.77oz, Grice ferrule, milk dud tip. Hope this works for ya Let me know
Jeff

Sounds like a good offer. :thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a new cue players is a good beginner cue. A little more expensive would be McDermott or Joss. Another option would be the local pawn shops. I found a custom cue locally a month ago for $100 dollars in a pawn shop. Rolled straight. Didn't have a ferrule and the pawn shop guy didn't know that cuemaker makes cues without a ferrule. He thought it was broken.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are so many cue options out there in that price range. Honestly, it is your preference one what "is better."

If you find a McDermott cue that you like, message me. I am a sponsored player/dealer and can get you a decent price.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Nick Varener Cues

The Nick Varner cue line is another choice. The quality for the price cant be beat. The cues play well too. I tried one of my students cue and it had a good solid hit to it.

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Joe
I have a used Schon cue, 4 rounded ebony points with a spear or triangle inlay at the bottom of the points,has a few small scuff marks maybe a nick here or there, the butt rolls straight, Hoppe ring, black/white spec linen wrap, SS 5/16x14 pin, shaft has roll / wobble in the middle of shaft but its playable, cue weighs 19.2oz with shaft & butt together.
I`ll throw in a set of JP`s with it & a used 1x2 cue case. All for $300 shipped Paypal (friends & family) in the US. Let me know if this would be of interest to ya sir. PM me your email address & I`ll send you some pics of it. I also have a Kenny Koo shaft that matches up quite well with this Schon butt. I`d sell the Koo shaft for another $150 as well. Koo shaft rolls straight, wt; 3.77oz, Grice ferrule, milk dud tip. Hope this works for ya Let me know
Jeff
I have PM'd you