How can we get USA women playing again?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To hell with that

If they're going to start playing like that Chen gal, I wish they all would
quit. They are not only getting to good but are polite, dress appropriately,
gracious, win or lose, what the hell are they trying to do to our game.
They could start playing that silly ass game curling or what ever it's
called, where they use that broom. That would be good practice for em
when they get back home where they belong.
Bobby Billly (bubba)

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense but I wouldn’t want education hours spent playing pool. However I do agree about finding ways to get younger players involved. Doubt many pool halls even allow kids to play. So if dad doesn’t have a table in the basement. Chances are kids won’t even experience pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You must live in River City

joe666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last women's event I went to was the Delta Classic in Tunica, MS. 2004
It was a great event and I had a blast. Met lots of Pro's, got pics and autographs.
The place was packed with fans. I can't believe tours wouldn't do good here in the South.
We get NOTHING like that around here.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Pool halls are typically not a place that most women are attracted to. That would be a start: MAKE POOL HALLS A PLACE WOMEN WANT TO GO. Wait, that means get rid of most pool players??? AHHAHAHAHAHHA! I joke I joke. Seriously, walk into most pool rooms and count the amount of women. This is the main issue in my opinion.

Surge in Chicago has a very nice mix of women to men. I am sure there are other places like it, but, not many I have ever seen.

Trent from Toledo

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The women in the USA have zero chance against the women from overseas.

The top USA player is almost 100 points FR behind Siming.
Jason

And the US will never win the Mosconi again against the superior Euros :D

Just bustin balls. I get what you are saying. I watched a girl in Nashville not long ago practicing on a table by herself. I watched as she broke and ran 4 racks of ten ball on a 7 ft diamond in what seemed like 5 minutes. Didn't hesitate but a second before dropping down and firing in ball after ball. Looked like she got bored and went to the bar after 4 racks...don't have a clue who she was, but man could she shoot.

No telling how many girls like that out there. I can't imagine somebody that shoots that sporty being scared to play anyone...

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I hate to say that as a poolroom owner, the 2 things that stuck out to me in that video are a poolroom that has 2 different colors of cloth on the tables - burgundy and green, and Ronnie O'Sullivan shown at least a few different times sitting on (not just leaning up against) a pool table!

As far as the women players, not a single US player ranked in the top 30 female Fargo rankings. On the bright side though, as a whole the international women have really stepped up their games in recent years - with far more female players with 700+ Fargo rankings than there have ever been previously.

That is the Billiard Cafe in Chicago. I notice Ronnie sitting on the table too. WTF? He should know better!

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a little better class of Male along with mouth wash,deodorant and some manners might be the ticket..You know who you are charm boys...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What is going on with the WPBA?

The economy has been booming the past 5 years. The mens "tour" has added more and more GOOD opportunities for the men each of the past few years. The business in local pool rooms seems to be way up from 10 years ago, when it was the lowest I've personally ever seen. The international women are playing better than ever, and there are more of them.

All that said, why have the women's pro/satellite tours not picked up in the USA? Is there any way to fix it?

It almost seems like the women having an organization hurt them. They were flying high in the 90's, while the men weren't doing so well. But when the WPBA events started falling off, it seems the whole thing shut down, save for one event per year.

The men on the other hand had no organization. Did that alllow any Joe Shmo with some cash to attempt to start his own tournament or tour. Some failed, some failed after a few events, and some are still around. But, maybe it was this "free market" that actually allowed new promoters to take a chance?

What say you? How can we get the USA women playing again?

Your in box is full, call me 702-927-5689

cueless

No offense but I wouldn’t want education hours spent playing pool. However I do agree about finding ways to get younger players involved. Doubt many pool halls even allow kids to play. So if dad doesn’t have a table in the basement. Chances are kids won’t even experience pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are down to maybe 3 or 4 pool rooms in the Philly city limits + a few more in the surrounding suburbs and some of them serve alcohol. All of the leagues (APA, BCA, TAP and others) play in bars on 7 ft tables. Can't get young people involved early if there is no place to play until they are old enough to drink alcohol.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPBA died when Brunswick stopped putting tournaments on ESPN. There is nobody else going to pay 50k to produce a one hour made for TV event.

Pool is a fringe sport....sooner people accept that the better.

Matchroom sports involvement will be big but the American media won't follow it.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPBA died when Brunswick stopped putting tournaments on ESPN. There is nobody else going to pay 50k to produce a one hour made for TV event.

Pool is a fringe sport....sooner people accept that the better.

Matchroom sports involvement will be big but the American media won't follow it.

Believe it or not, Sports Illustrated once published one of the best articles ever written on Pool. Of course it was 42 years ago, but the main subject is still very much alive and with us today.

EASY TIMES THE HARD WAY
After long years on the hustle, pool shooter Danny D realizes that he bought a dream. He has also discovered—too late—that the price was exorbitant

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you ever heard of Interscholastic sports? They seem to have plenty of time for sports like baseball, basketball and football, not to mention golf and tennis and various other healthy sporting activities. Having pool as an interscholastic sport would be an easy addition with no special facilities required (an empty classroom could easily accommodate two pool tables) or equipment (house cues are fine). Plus many kids LOVE to play pool!

High schools have bowling programs now too. It's a scholarship sport at many colleges - Vanderbilt and Nebraska to name two.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Designer purses as prizes.

Women afraid of heights that I know would takeup mountain climbing if there were designer purses at the top.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, Sports Illustrated once published one of the best articles ever written on Pool. Of course it was 42 years ago, but the main subject is still very much alive and with us today.

EASY TIMES THE HARD WAY
After long years on the hustle, pool shooter Danny D realizes that he bought a dream. He has also discovered—too late—that the price was exorbitant
Although this article was written on the struggles of being a top pool player 42 years ago, virtually nothing has changed since then - very sad.