What "Mods" have you made to your favorite playing cue and why?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Scotch tape on my SP where my grip hand's little finger should be.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I've done that, lol. If I play with a cue that isn't balanced right for me, I'll find the spot where I can still play well with it, even though it feels weird, and put a ring of scotch tape on the butt where my index finger and thumb wrap around.

Great minds think alike.....

....and so do ours! :thumbup:

I prefer it to be under the little finger so it doesn't interfere with the grip but gives me a reference point to start with, if that makes sense.

Jeff Livingston

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Played with my Runde as it came from Bob with a micarta ferrule and Wizard M tip, became interested in what I had heard about Searing so I tracked down a shaft to fit my Runde, which has a Ivory ferrule and original Kamui M and haven't looked back yet.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After being around this game pretty much my entire life, I think I finally nailed it...... Its the last cue Im having made anyhow...... :thumbup:
Im having this built right now in Pechauers shop, should have it in 2-3 weeks.

I picked one of their catalog cues to start, changed some colors etc
59" (30" shaft)
"Monkey" leather wrap
Pechauer P-Lite with a custom taper at 12mm
19.5 oz with their 'Pro' joint

Pechs have the greatest finishes. Look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My game still sucks. Next step is to start practicing!

Larry

Doesn't matter...your beautiful cues make up for it :thumbup:

My Cues...changed or added a wrap. Converted to bumper-less, added weight or lightened, Shaft work, tips, had custom work done on butt cap. Everything was done just for fun. Cues do not help my 1P.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
After being around this game pretty much my entire life, I think I finally nailed it...... Its the last cue Im having made anyhow...... :thumbup:
Im having this built right now in Pechauers shop, should have it in 2-3 weeks.

I picked one of their catalog cues to start, changed some colors etc
59" (30" shaft)
"Monkey" leather wrap
Pechauer P-Lite with a custom taper at 12mm
19.5 oz with their 'Pro' joint

I'd like to hear about this when you get it, Chuck.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I made it longer, then shorter. I made it lighter, then heavier. I tried a wrap, then wrapless. Did the low deflection thing, then not. Tried many tips, ferrules.

My game still sucks. Next step is to start practicing!

Larry

Hmmm...you might be onto something with that practicing thing...;)

On my Josey I went from a talisman tip to Kamui medium black. That's it. Everybody know that we old folks resist change.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
As a marker, or to keep the finger off the grip?

As a marker. Sometimes under stress or after a long time, I tend to shorten up my grip too much to where my stroke gets too shortened, so as I set up, I feel the tape against my little finger so I know my grip is in the proper position.

This thread reminded me that I haven't put the tape on my new cue (BD Cues) yet. That must be why I missed that one shot a week or so ago. ;)

Jeff Livingston

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That's a clever idea, Jeff. My tendency is to grip too far back, especially on power shots - never thought of that.

Last edited:

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a Miller High Life cue with a screw in tip. At the time, it was my favorite.

I sanded the paint off, which exposed a nice looking dark brown wood. I also created a tip from the center of a golf ball which was very quiet, and I got good english on the ball. It did not survive the first draw attempt.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
So we all have a favorite playing cue. What modifications have you made to your cue and why?

For me, it's my 60" JossWest. Loved the feel of the handle but I did not like the standard 30" shafts because of the squirt. I also did not care for the feel of the leather wrap.

I had the wrap changed to stack leather and loved it. I played with a Predator 30" 314 for awhile, liked the way it played but did not like the balance (too light in front) . Royce sent me a 30" OB classic (12.75mm) to try and liked the feel a lot. Used this for about a year.

Finally tried a Tiger Pro X in beta format and decided this was my shaft. I went back to 29" for better stiffness. It took a few months to get used to the smaller tip (11.75mm) and lower squirt, but love the shaft. I've been with this for about 5 years now and my game has improved with it. No plans on changing at all.

What's your story?

Hi Tate,

good to "see you here" :)
I still have the present from you buddy- still thanksful for it :)
the 30 inches Tiger X Pro is really a quality shaft- but i got now back completley to regular shaft (non-laminated)-
I really played with everything (or almost :p ) available outthere, because i was curious about the playability of all those LD-Shafts.

But i just like the feel of my regular shafts- also playing now with 60 inches length for about 2 years- and happy with hit- it s just more comfortable for me bc i have more problems to reach some positions bc being still bit afraid to put my weight on my back leg (right leg) where my knee is *done*. Thsi was the main reason to test 60 inches out- and it s a great thing :)

I am definitley a "ld hater" - sure not. I just don t care about it- if i like the feel of a cue, i have to adjust and calibrate for the cue...no matter about diameter, size, stiffness.....i just have to "work with it"and STAY with it :)

may everyone have a smooth stroke.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
As a marker. Sometimes under stress or after a long time, I tend to shorten up my grip too much to where my stroke gets too shortened, so as I set up, I feel the tape against my little finger so I know my grip is in the proper position.

This thread reminded me that I haven't put the tape on my new cue (BD Cues) yet. That must be why I missed that one shot a week or so ago. ;)

Jeff Livingston

That's a clever idea, Jeff. My tendency is to grip too far back, especially on power shots - never thought of that.

I like my grip to wander, short and long....I probably vary where I grip by 8 inches.
...the more spin I need at a slow speed, the shorter I hold it.
Long dead ball shots made me hold it long, right off the linen.
Holding long worked for the Rifleman.

I remember Charlie Bryant in the stands at the 2002 9-ball Open.
Owens at hill/hill for the b-side finals playing Luat....he's got a long shot on the 7-ball.
Chas whispers "He's gonna have trouble on this shot...he's been playing too much 1-hole
and holds the cue too short for these."
Luat went to the finals against Schmidt.

'course, Jeff's method is great if you have an excess amount of vanity in your pool game....
......'cause every match is taped. :)

Correction....it was the match for the hot seat between Owens and Luat...A-side finals

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Had a couple ferrule-less shafts made from the maker of the cue after having it for a few years.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
The What: Replaced butt sleeve, butt cap, and wrap with identical factory replacements.

The Why: I slammed, er...rapidly modified the bottom of my cue via impact with the ground due to a missed easy shot and momentarily poor self-control (a condition known medically as "Momenticus assaholus").

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm kind of surprised to see how few modifications there are to our cues. In the motorcycle world, very few ride a stock bike. In the firearms thread, a great many rifles were heavily modified.

I guess we like our cues as served.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite modification to my old cue was selling it and getting a new cue altogether.

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Removed the rubber bumper from my Cog, it has no weight bolt. Re-threaded the hole 3/4" deep for the Mezz X-Bumper, now I have a screw in extension.