World 9 ball?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
News says WPA 9 ball is this week, home page, odd Shaw and SVB is the same time period. Gotta be a miss print right?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google has all the answers :wink:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    48.5 KB · Views: 916

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
It's actually been REMOVED from the WPA calendar so everyone has been a little concerned if it is still going to be played in December or not... Is Def NOT going on this week and no idea who Nancy Miles is.......

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
News says WPA 9 ball is this week, home page, odd Shaw and SVB is the same time period. Gotta be a miss print right?

One of the most confusing articles I've ever read on AZB Headline news. It includes:

1) a claim that the event began on Tuesday earlier this week but also claims that sports books have yet to set odds on it.
2) no link to the results page, customarily provided in the big events
3) a truly daring projection that the three who will succeed are three guys who won gold, silver and bronze in the 2018 version of this event

One has to wonder how this article ever made it to AZB headline news.

... corrected on 8/16

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's actually been REMOVED from the WPA calendar so everyone has been a little concerned if it is still going to be played in December or not... Is Def NOT going on this week and no idea who Nancy Miles is.......
Its not this week.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be better if people who follow the pool scene write the articles about the pro pool world?

This writer has brought incompetence to a new and unprecedented level here on AZB.

AZB has an "ignore" feature so that we don't have to view the posts of those whose contributions offend us. If this kind of garbage headline is going to be permitted on AZB, perhaps we need an "ignore" feature for authors who contribute articles.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I can't see any such news article on AZB. But perhaps they are confusing it with the APA tournament that is going this week. It is branded as a World Championship for both 9 ball and 8 ball. I think Carlo Biado would be competitive :)

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't see any such news article on AZB. But perhaps they are confusing it with the APA tournament that is going this week. It is branded as a World Championship for both 9 ball and 8 ball. I think Carla Biado would be competitive :)

I’m pretty sure Carlo’s teammates will swear he’s just a strong 5.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't see any such news article on AZB. But perhaps they are confusing it with the APA tournament that is going this week. It is branded as a World Championship for both 9 ball and 8 ball. I think Carla Biado would be competitive :)

It was under "Latest News" on the AzB front page until just a little while ago. Gone now.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's still there, listed second on the list of headline articles.

Ugh, I see it again now. [It does say that Biado won in 2017.]

So is it possible that there will be no 2019 version of this event? Back in early 2018, soon after the 2017 event, the WPA announced they had a deal for 4 more years in Doha -- 2018 through 2021. Has something gone wrong with that deal? As The Renfro posted above, it is not on the WPA calendar currently. Is Wiki right about the dates?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried contacting WPA, no response as usual. Worthless organization in my book. I then tried to contact the Qatar organizers. Their contact page is gone and their site hasn't been updated in a year. The '19 event may be dead, don't know. I know the organizers look pretty clueless to me.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried contacting WPA, no response as usual. Worthless organization in my book. I then tried to contact the Qatar organizers. Their contact page is gone and their site hasn't been updated in a year. The '19 event may be dead, don't know. I know the organizers look pretty clueless to me.

Well, if the Qatar folks bail, maybe the fine people at Matchroom will entertain getting the World’s too. Be nice to have a proper product befitting a world championship rather than what we’ve been seeing from Qatar. IMO of course.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if the Qatar folks bail, maybe the fine people at Matchroom will entertain getting the World’s too. Be nice to have a proper product befitting a world championship rather than what we’ve been seeing from Qatar. IMO of course.
I agree. I watched the last couple and it looked like they were playing in a funeral home. I know a couple that went and said they hated it. They never left their hotel room other than to go play. They couldn't wait to leave. Only reason it was there is because the QBSF laid a big bag of $$$$ on Ian Anderson's WPA.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

qatar is a ridiculous little country that ruins a lot of sports.. w9c should be held in europe or east asia where most pro players come from.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
qatar is a ridiculous little country that ruins a lot of sports.. w9c should be held in europe or east asia where most pro players come from.

It really has been a pitiful display for what should be pool's premiere event. As others have stated it looks like they are playing in outerspace the room is so big, empty, and quiet. Nothing like what Matchroom used to produce or produced at the US Open. My favorite though is from a few years ago when Hohmann won the commentary was all in the native language and I had to chuckle because it sounded like those dudes never even stopped talking to breathe not even for a second between shots.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bring it back to the USA. Was a lot of fun attending back in Arlington Hights in late 90s. Greg Sullivan could take it over. Hold it in NOLA at the Harrah's. Would be some good eating. All the buffet fans could stay in Vegas. :p

Nah, wishful thinking.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WC 9b UPDATE.........................

Just got email from WPA. NO date has been set for World 9ball. This is direct from Gre Leenders, General Sec. of WPA.