Low deflection vs traditional shafts

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
LD, deflection, squirt, low mass tips..............

these are all buzz words to capture those that are looking for the magic elixir to make them shoot better......................

HOT TIP......... none of these make you shoot better ....... they do make you shoot differently..............

if you buy onto these gimmicks..... you just don't practice enough or correctly.........

Kim

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not by themselves - but they can make learning to shoot better easier for some.

pj
chgo
Agree 100%. If you can use english and not have to adjust aim as much how is that not a good thing? If you've hit-a-million-balls with a solid shaft sure you've learned to adjust but with ld the adjustment is far less, especially for beginners or those that don't get to play a lot. LOTS of pros won't play with anything but ld.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U.S. LD shaft makers.....

Tiger is another US company that makes LD shafts.
Tiger,Jacoby,Pechauer,JOSS,OB, McDermott,Viking and Bob Danielson are all American-made LD shaft makers. Predator REVO's are made here also.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
What can you do with squirt that you can't do by simply aiming a little differently?

pj
chgo

squirt is a minor masse effect useful for getting around the edges of balls.

where are all the LD masse cues??? there aren't any because LD is garbage to masse with..in fact deflection is critical in making masse work

so there must be a tipping point where LD becomes more of a hindrance than a help.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
..in fact deflection is critical in making masse work
Masse is when the CB curves. Squirt doesn't cause CB curve; it only changes the direction you need to aim the CB. You could masse just as easily without any squirt (if that was possible) by simply aiming the CB where squirt would have taken it.

there must be a tipping point where LD becomes more of a hindrance than a help.
Squirt can be helpful (but not necessary) in limited cases. For instance, when the squirt pivot point on your shaft is near where you bridge, then using backhand english can be an easier way for some to estimate aim compensation when using sidespin.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

where are all the LD masse cues??? there aren't any because LD is garbage to masse with..in fact deflection is critical in making masse work

so there must be a tipping point where LD becomes more of a hindrance than a help.
You can hit elevate and hit almost every type of masse that comes up in pool with an LD shaft. They aren't "NO deflection", just less. You can still go around balls.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
You can hit elevate and hit almost every type of masse that comes up in pool with an LD shaft. They aren't "NO deflection", just less. You can still go around balls.

My shaft does it easily so easy in fact that beginners do it by accident and miss... I aspire to master that part of the game.. not run from it

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My shaft does it easily so easy in fact that beginners do it by accident and miss... I aspire to master that part of the game.. not run from it
Well, yes, but mastering soft swerve shots and masses has almost nothing to do with the squirt of the cue you are using. I don't see where running from anything is involved with either kind of shaft.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being American made has nothing to deal with quality, quality has to deal with quality and some may argue some of the best LD shaft on the market or simply the best LD shafts come from over seas. If you're going to let ( America ) be your bases for getting a ( Good) or ( best ) ld shaft, sorry to say your not being open enough. Although I so not play with LD shafts anymore. But the best I have played with in the past goes in this order, Mezz, predator, OB...

Why did you assume quality was the driving force behind the OP's question? Perhaps he has other reasons for wanting his money to go more directly into the American economy. Who knows?

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Squirt is useful!!

eliminating it leaves a huge gap in your game

Although eliminating squirt is not an option, reducing it is. Can you offer an example of a shot you can do with a traditional shaft that you can't do with a LD shaft?

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LD, deflection, squirt, low mass tips..............

these are all buzz words to capture those that are looking for the magic elixir to make them shoot better......................

HOT TIP......... none of these make you shoot better ....... they do make you shoot differently..............

if you buy onto these gimmicks..... you just don't practice enough or correctly.........

Kim

"gimmick", "hype"...these are buzzwords typically used by people who do not understand a particular technology or principle, so they assume in their ignorance that there is "really" nothing to it.

If you practice correctly and can't tell the difference between an LD shaft and a conventional shaft, you probably don't play at a particularly high level.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can make any masse shot with a LD shaft...it simply requires a different initial aiming point.

The tipping point where LD becomes a hindrance is when you prioritize masse shots over pocketing balls accurately with english. Or when you just don't like LD shafts, because you are used to something else.

KMRUNOUT

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Although eliminating squirt is not an option, reducing it is. Can you offer an example of a shot you can do with a traditional shaft that you can't do with a LD shaft?

KMRUNOUT

Some force follow angles are trickier, especially those straight in shots where you need to cheat the pocket for position. For a shot that already needs a good touch, beginners may find it a mindf***. i think part of the problem that leads to this debate is that a lot of people who encounter problems do not have someone experienced around who can help, leading to these misconceptions about what the shaft A/shaft B can do or cannot do. but in reality both shafts can more or less do everything. as touched upon already, they're done differently. i suspect that its an issue of comfort zone as well; being asked to do something they're really not used to to get the result

Last edited:

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I have not seen that. A difference in balance between two cues can certainly cause stun runs to be different.

sorry i edited my post before i saw this; i had meant to say force follow, its a complaint that a lot of LD users tend to have on certain shots. i agree that the balance does help and hinder the stun effects though, but not everyone thinks to make these sort of adjustments, be it changing the balance point or choking the cue etc. tendency is that they'll just say that its down to the shaft. just speaking from what i've seen around me

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Squirt and swerve are two different things. Ld shafts reduce squirt, they do not reduce swerve. There are some sloppy ld shaft comparison/test videos online that use swerve to cheat the results of the deflection tests.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard a lot of the Taiwanese are playing with solid maple non ld shafts. I can't actually confirm that, but I've heard or more than a few times.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk