Rogue Vs Revo Custom

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Custom Revo will be around $600 (the low deflection is a huge selling point).

The Rogue is $475 out of the box.

Decisions, Decisions...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But how is the deflection vs these two???

Deflection amount matters much less than how you can play with the shaft. 0 deflection won't necessarily make people pocket more balls. There is probably 20 times as much missing from just flaws in mechanics and not hitting the cueball or object ball where you thought you were aiming than missing because someone did not adjust for deflection once a person gets past beginner levels.

Hunting after deflection levels in shafts is like buying a car based on numbers on a page. oooo look, 5.4 seconds to 60 instead of 6. Then next thing they are in a ditch because it's a rear wheel drive car with no traction control and they side sideways off a road.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deflection amount matters much less than how you can play with the shaft. 0 deflection won't necessarily make people pocket more balls. There is probably 20 times as much missing from just flaws in mechanics and not hitting the cueball or object ball where you thought you were aiming than missing because someone did not adjust for deflection once a person gets past beginner levels.

Hunting after deflection levels in shafts is like buying a car based on numbers on a page. oooo look, 5.4 seconds to 60 instead of 6. Then next thing they are in a ditch because it's a rear wheel drive car with no traction control and they side sideways off a road.
Well said.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Seriously great and valid points.

I just don't want to "re-learn" getting a new shaft (as much). Mine is quite low deflection and I'm just toying with the idea.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spend that money on lessons. Learn to play better position and shoot only on the center line of the CB (high/low/center). When you do that, the shaft can be low deflection, high deflection....it won't matter.

Of course that's much easier said than done. :p

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Where did you get 600 for the Revo?

Looks like the few that predator released with different pins have only been 550.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ģüśţāṿ;6472581 said:
Spend that money on lessons. Learn to play better position and shoot only on the center line of the CB (high/low/center). When you do that, the shaft can be low deflection, high deflection....it won't matter.

Of course that's much easier said than done. :p

Is this a thing? Holy crap I've been doing that for the last few weeks as I've been switching between HD and LD shafts. It was the only thing I could figure out that always worked since I have no idea how to compensate properly.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ģüśţāṿ;6472581 said:
...and shoot only on the center line of the CB (high/low/center). When you do that, the shaft can be low deflection, high deflection....it won't matter.

Guaranteed mediocrity. And guaranteed if you're a good player, you don't stay on the vertical center line.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the price of the Revo is kinda high for you then maybe take a look at the new Defy shaft from McDermott. It is very low deflection and very low vibration too. I had the prototypes for a weekend and they were very good to hit with. Getting spin was effortless. It's $395 out of the box. This might give you another option for a CF shaft.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the price of the Revo is kinda high for you then maybe take a look at the new Defy shaft from McDermott. It is very low deflection and very low vibration too. I had the prototypes for a weekend and they were very good to hit with. Getting spin was effortless. It's $395 out of the box. This might give you another option for a CF shaft.

If we want to start with the price argument, let’s talk quality. I tried everyone I could, multiple times in August at the APA Nationals. The McDermott and Meucci are the roughest, non smooth shafts in this carbon composit market. They feel like an unfishished product. The Jacoby and Revo felt the smoothest, like they’ve taken time to perfect their surface. BECue and CueTec felt similar, both were smooth. But the overall fit of the finished product didn’t look as good as Predators or Jacoby’s.

If there were a ranking list, the Revo, BLAK, and I’d assume the Ignite would all be tied for first for quality of their finished shaft smoothness and overall quality are concerned. Cynergy and BECue PrimeM are in forth place. Meucci would be sixth, and McDermott would be seventh. This is purely based on perception of how the shaft felt, along with how it looked as a finished product. And to me if I can feel a wave due to the layering , then I’m not spending my money that way.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason why the shaft felt rough was it was a prototype and the shafts for sale will be a lot smoother. That is how it was communicated to me. But it is a preference thing so you have to go with what feels better to you.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really leaning towards getting it.

5/16x14 joint, White Ferrule Pad, Kamui Black Super Soft. 30" long.

With the extra inch should I stick with the same weight as my 29" if possible???

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason why the shaft felt rough was it was a prototype and the shafts for sale will be a lot smoother. That is how it was communicated to me. But it is a preference thing so you have to go with what feels better to you.

Let’s just say that when I could feel nearly every layer transition in the McDermott, and their little exposed carbon weave felt like washboard roads. Their product/methods need tweaking.