Battling Bar Table Legend MATLOCK with Wade Crane and CJ Wiley

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the pool world, Wade Crane aka "Billy Johnson" had a devastating break shot and was nick named "Boom Boom" because of the power.

I was at a pool tournament in Alabama with all the greatest pool players and was matched up a gambling with with David Matlock who at the time was the best bar table 9-Ball player in the country and probably the world. This is the story, we played Matlock with me playing and Billy Johnson breaking, WHAT A BATTLE!

Click Here for the Story - https://youtu.be/Ln68K2Y23P8. - Please Like, Share and Join my You Tube Channel for More Road Stories and Instructional Videos

To learn my playing secrets join me at https://masteringpocketbilliards.com

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
these road stories are super
not only the story but the interesting way you tell them

i saw you beat johnny archer with richard smith breaking for you

it seemed to me there was a big advantage with him racking

it let you avoid theunpleasantness of getting theballs tight and
the aggravation of your opponent requesting a rerack

thank you for the stories

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the pool world, Wade Crane aka "Billy Johnson" had a devastating break shot and was nick named "Boom Boom" because of the power.

I was at a pool tournament in Alabama with all the greatest pool players and was matched up a gambling with with David Matlock who at the time was the best bar table 9-Ball player in the country and probably the world. This is the story, we played Matlock with me playing and Billy Johnson breaking, WHAT A BATTLE!

Click Here for the Story - https://youtu.be/Ln68K2Y23P8. - Please Like, Share and Join my You Tube Channel for More Road Stories and Instructional Videos

Talked to Dave the other day. He's doin good. I was lucky to have seen you and Dave when you guys were killin' it. Loved to have been at that match-up.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's an advantage having someone break for you even if they don't break as well

these road stories are super
not only the story but the interesting way you tell them

i saw you beat johnny archer with richard smith breaking for you

it seemed to me there was a big advantage with him racking

it let you avoid theunpleasantness of getting theballs tight and
the aggravation of your opponent requesting a rerack

thank you for the stories

You're welcome!

I'm glad you like them, it's a history of the game that most people, even if they don't play pool like to hear. I've been working on a script to a movie the combines the real life stories of my road days with a plot twist that would be entertaining, exciting and great for pool.

Yes, it's an advantage having someone break for you even if they don't break as well, and not having to rack is also great because it allows you to concentrate 100% on playing.

I believe if I had 10 days to practice I could still beat 95% of the professional players in the world with Shane racking\breaking for me......even at my ripe age of 137. :dance:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
GREAT story!!

Wade Crane was the first real pool player i played.

My partner (Bill Blake---RIP) and i strolled into Lorimers (Oak Park, Il)one evening and a stout dude with large glasses was trying to get action by offering the 8. Bill had a hangover, sore dick or something which caused him to defer and suggest that i play (Bill's typical game was better than mine at this time).

to make a long story short i realized quickly that he wasn't only the best i played, he was the best player i'd seen to date. i should have pulled up after a few games but stayed for a handful more because i enjoyed watching him display his craft.

that game influenced me that being a square MIGHT be a better option

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're welcome!

I believe if I had 10 days to practice I could still beat 95% of the professional players in the world with Shane racking\breaking for me......even at my ripe age of 137. :dance:
The players SVB beats all believe that they could beat Shane if he racked and broke for them.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Are you going to call it, or are you going to give me the first break?!?"

GREAT story!!

Wade Crane was the first real pool player i played.

My partner (Bill Blake---RIP) and i strolled into Lorimers (Oak Park, Il)one evening and a stout dude with large glasses was trying to get action by offering the 8. Bill had a hangover, sore dick or something which caused him to defer and suggest that i play (Bill's typical game was better than mine at this time).

to make a long story short i realized quickly that he wasn't only the best i played, he was the best player i'd seen to date. i should have pulled up after a few games but stayed for a handful more because i enjoyed watching him display his craft.

that game influenced me that being a square MIGHT be a better option

Yes, Wade was the real deal!

He was with my friend Weldon Rogers in Dallas to play Buddy Hall.

They played a 15 ahead set and Weldon told me it was amazing to see how well Buddy played. His position was pin point, his shot making superb and within a couple hours he got on the hill..... then won the 15 games ahead, breathing a sigh of relief and started to unscrew his cue.

"CALL IT!"

Buddy looked up at Wade in surprise....Wade was at the table coin in hand, looking impatiently at Buddy.

"Are you going to call it, or are you going to give me the first break?!?"

To make a long story short, Wade put a 15 Pack on Buddy to win the second set......Buddy unscrewed this time for the evening.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the story CJ. I love hearing about the old road stories. I sweated a lot the match when you and Jimmy Wetch battled it out for over 30 hours at Shooters in the 90's.

Luckily, I've known Dave for years and got to watch him play at Shooters in Olathe when he was in his prime coming up from Oklahoma at that time to play. His game was powerful and graceful at the same time.

I played Wade just once at a Shooters tournament. It was winner breaks and he had that damn break working. Pow and run out after run out. He played quick and with confidence. I lost 9 to 1 but it was privilege to play him.

Dave is still doing well and can still hit em good when he plays. There was some traction before this Rona crap of him and Keith McCready playing on the bar table with the big ball. Hopefully, they can get that matchup going again after the virus lets up.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be awesome to see LA Keith and Matlock duke it out with the Big Ball!

Thanks for the story CJ. I love hearing about the old road stories. I sweated a lot the match when you and Jimmy Wetch battled it out for over 30 hours at Shooters in the 90's.

Luckily, I've known Dave for years and got to watch him play at Shooters in Olathe when he was in his prime coming up from Oklahoma at that time to play. His game was powerful and graceful at the same time.

I played Wade just once at a Shooters tournament. It was winner breaks and he had that damn break working. Pow and run out after run out. He played quick and with confidence. I lost 9 to 1 but it was privilege to play him.

Dave is still doing well and can still hit em good when he plays. There was some traction before this Rona crap of him and Keith McCready playing on the bar table with the big ball. Hopefully, they can get that matchup going again after the virus lets up.

Jimmy Wetch and I did have some long battles, over 100 hours all together. He was a great player with a lot of heart!

That would be awesome to see LA Keith and Matlock duke it out with the Big Ball!

Hopefully that can happen one of these days.

The Hulk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CJ,
This was a great story... I enjoyed it tremendously. Last night I was watching the Tuesday night treasures streaming on Accu Stats YouTube page.

The match featured yourself vs Tony (TNT) ELLIN - in the FINALS of the 1994 SANDS REGENCY OPEN - . In the match the commentators mention how Wade (Boom Boom) Cranes break was the best at one time. But now (in 1994) Tony (TNT) Ellin has come along an elevated to a whole different level. I was just wondering your thoughts on Tony’s break? If you had any good stories about matching up with him & trying to fade that monster break? What tactics did you use to try to overcome it? Needless to say it was a highly entertaining match that I’ve never seen before & I enjoyed watching it for the first time.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still to this day there isn't anyone that breaks the balls better than Tony did. imo

CJ,
This was a great story... I enjoyed it tremendously. Last night I was watching the Tuesday night treasures streaming on Accu Stats YouTube page.

The match featured yourself vs Tony (TNT) ELLIN - in the FINALS of the 1994 SANDS REGENCY OPEN - . In the match the commentators mention how Wade (Boom Boom) Cranes break was the best at one time. But now (in 1994) Tony (TNT) Ellin has come along an elevated to a whole different level. I was just wondering your thoughts on Tony’s break? If you had any good stories about matching up with him & trying to fade that monster break? What tactics did you use to try to overcome it? Needless to say it was a highly entertaining match that I’ve never seen before & I enjoyed watching it for the first time.

Tony did have an incredible break, in that 94 tournament I was playing great, however, I knew Tony was going to win that match because he REALLY had it working that day.

I only gambled with Tony once, on a bar table in Ft. Wayne Indiana. I was in a trap giving him the wild 8, but somehow I shot my way out of it.

Tony unfortunately left this world much too early. If he had continued to play he would have won a lot of major tournaments!

Still to this day there isn't anyone that breaks the balls better than Tony did. imo

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tony did have an incredible break, in that 94 tournament I was playing great, however, I knew Tony was going to win that match because he REALLY had it working that day.

I only gambled with Tony once, on a bar table in Ft. Wayne Indiana. I was in a trap giving him the wild 8, but somehow I shot my way out of it.

Tony unfortunately left this world much too early. If he had continued to play he would have won a lot of major tournaments!

He threw his whole body at the balls! And he had a pretty good sized body to throw. :wink:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
He was definitely unorthodox but incredibly effective!

He threw his whole body at the balls! And he had a pretty good sized body to throw. :wink:

I ask Johnny Archer how he finished in that bizarre follow through position and he just shrugged lol - He was definitely unorthodox but incredibly effective!