Beginners cue?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My suggestion is to go try different cues, go to your local billiards store and ask to shoot with different weights, shaft diameters, makers, etc. Post up here on AZB asking to meet others so you can try their sticks. If you were near Boise I have quite a few different cues you could try.

Then, follow poolguy4u's advice, quoted below.

I shot with a $150 cue for over 20 years. I decided I wanted a new cue so I went out and bought a $500 Pechaur, turns out I don't like the way they hit so it has become my break cue. 14 years later when I got back into pool I wanted "nice" stick so I bought a cue that was well over $1000, turns out I'm not a huge fan of that cue either (but I'm getting used to it). I'm now back to shooting with my almost 30 year old Huebler or a $350 Ned Morris I picked up.

In short - you can and should be able to buy a great quality cue that could easily last you a lifetime within your given budget.

Well my beginner's cue was an Adam but that's only because I didn't know about Meucci.

I started using a Meucci in the early 1980's and now today I still use a Meucci.

So with $300 to buy a beginner's cue, why not just buy something good from the start.

A cue you can use for a lifetime....

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Players served me well for many years, from high school to age 30 or so.

MRLUCKY7

Registered
My thought also 🤗

Outlaw or players brand is fine for a beginner

McDermott is in that price range with good quality and lifetime warranty american made

I have played with McDermotts since 1985 I have only had 1 problem in 30+ years and about 11 different models the one issue was a I2 shaft that developed a slight rattle I sent it back and the made a new one with the same customization as the original to match my customized cue :smile:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Yep got that 50 dollar old used players cue

Straight as a damn arrow, hits just fine
Super impressed

I have a kids sized player i leave in the garage
Yrs now in humid houston
The thing is still as straight as the day i got it

They have metal insert in the shaft so newbies and kids cant mess up the threads as easy as if it was only wood

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
One nice thing about Schmelke cues is that for very little extra $$, you can do a fair amount of customization. The one thing I really liked was being able to choose from 7 or 8 different joint types. I’ve found very few other makers that will accommodate this. And since I had a radial CF shaft, this was quite a useful customization.

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep got that 50 dollar old used players cue

Straight as a damn arrow, hits just fine
Super impressed

I have a kids sized player i leave in the garage
Yrs now in humid houston
The thing is still as straight as the day i got it

They have metal insert in the shaft so newbies and kids cant mess up the threads as easy as if it was only wood
So are you selling it or just braggin'?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I like Viking in that price range. The trick is to get the lowest end butt with the higher end Vikore shaft. A fancy butt with the basic V pro shaft is not nearly as good as a basic solid color wrapped butt with the Vikore shaft. A few sellers on Ebay offer them at lowest prices allowed by Viking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning all.
I have searched but the threads results are stale.

I'm looking for your current thoughts on what cue would be best for a beginner. I am looking to spend around $150 - $350.
Is that reasonable?
What are the most solid brands.
The Brunswick branded cues that came when I purchased the table are 2 piece wood of varying weights of 18-21 oz.
I like the 19 oz the best & use the 21 pz to break.

Thoughts?
Best Joe

McDermott C or D series, refinished, you can do it!!

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your option open up a lot if you're considering spending a maximum of 350.

Low to mid 100 = Players, Outlaws, McDermott
200 = Pechauer, Cuetec, mid-tier McDermott (G series, etc.)
High 200s to mid 350s = Lucasi (you can find great deals), lower end Jacoby, Joss, etc.

Seyberts is having some insane sales right now and you can pick up some 500+ dollar cues for around 300 or lower

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
shiiiieeeeettttah

a brand new players sneaky will run you 75
or that 1 piece bocote schmelke for 120

thats all you needa spend

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call or email David at Schmelke and he will likely have some on hand as well as options for custom. You can get a real nice cue from anywhere from $80 to $300 (very nice customized) and he's pretty helpful if you have questions, etc. Bought 3 cues that weren't all that expensive before Xmas just to get started on new cues (the old Dufferins, except for two, were warped). Like them so much I ordered a nicer custom and it is fantastic.

Top one is the custom. Bottom three are three I chose from some he had on hand to replenish the rack. The Sneaky Pete is pretty cool, the finish is just as high quality on each of these as on the custom. All straight as can be.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited: