your thoughts on NO WARM UP STROKES

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i saw a pretty decent player line up/ step in/get down on the shot/take no warm up strokes and shoot
that was his psr
he played pretty well
both pocketing balls and cue ball control
your thoughts on the pros and cons

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw a pretty decent player line up/ step in/get down on the shot/take no warm up strokes and shoot
that was his psr
he played pretty well
both pocketing balls and cue ball control
your thoughts on the pros and cons

Ronnie O'Sullivan or Tony Drago ?????????

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I experimented with it for awhile and while it feels refreshing to just get down and shoot without all those steps leading up to it, I found that it doesn't hold up well under pressure.

I think, though if you had the training of a Tibetan monk, you might be able to pull it off.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I will do that too. If you know you are on the right line, and you have the speed down mentally, there is no need for warmup strokes.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what that reason be?
Well...

It helps the timing of ones stroke.

Allows one to find the correct grip pressure for the shot at hand.

Stops the grip and arm from tensing up.

Allows some players to judge speed control.

Gives you the ability to see if you are cueing straight through where the tip is pointing, and not across it.

Allows you to see precisely where you are to strike the cue ball.

Gives the eyes a chance to judge where the CB is heading in relation to the OB better.

Gives that piston stroke of yours which I know you love and will defend to the death chance to look like a piston stroke.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Larry,

Even though Pidge originally said there was 'a' reason & then gave 8 reasons, I'll just say that in my opinion the still, one stroke method can be just as good except perhaps as Fran mentioned if one lets tension creep in under pressure. If one is prone to feeling pressure then they might be better served by a few practice or warm up or tension releasing strokes.

That said IMO it may also depend on what type stroke & grip along with grip pressure that one is utilizing that might influence which one an individual might prefer.

I actually used both until I started using TOI & then went more consistently to the one stroke method as both my grip & grip pressure acclimated to using TOI.

Whatever you choose, Good Luck with It & Best Wishes,
Rick

PS You might want to consider some other ball 'hitting' sports like Golf, Baseball, Tennis, etc.

PPS You know you can PM me if you have any specific questions or want any other interpretations.

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said there was 'a' reason & now you give 7.

Can you now explain why all that can't be done from the still image of the cue if one has a repeatable straight stroke? Picture Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Bowling, etc. or throwing a ball or even a horse shoe.
I gave you 8. for someone who likes a pick apart the finer details in posts to make the day go quicker I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in your counting ability, Rick.

You point me in the direction of any snooker professional that doesn't feather the cue ball and I'll explain.

I'll point you in the direction of 50+ people in my country that don't feather the cue ball and can't get past a 30 break.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I gave you 8. for someone who likes a pick apart the finer details in posts to make the day go quicker I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in your counting ability, Rick.

You point me in the direction of any snooker professional that doesn't feather the cue ball and I'll explain.

I'll point you in the direction of 50+ people in my country that don't feather the cue ball and can't get past a 30 break.

I can count just fine, thanks for the insult, but I am not a typists. I made the correction as soon as I reread it & changed the whole composition. Sorry for the change of heart & mind. Not really.

A pool cue ball & a snooker cue ball are not the same. I was not aware that Larry was asking about snooker.

I've given Larry my take & I'm NOT going to get into an argument with you as you are obviously baiting me to do.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what about Ronnie O'Sullivan and Tony Drago? They are professionals, right ?

I'm sure you can find shots where Ronnie doesn't take any warm up strokes, but he does on a vast majority of them.

The easier the shot is, the fewer warm up strokes someone might take. I'll tell you one thing though, you'll never see a pro that one strokes the tougher shots and makes them with any regularity.

Even Earl, who most consider one of the greatest shot makers (in pool), will take 2-3 on the more difficult shots.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't suggest pool and snooker were alike, but snooker players are regarded as some of the finest cueists because they all have lessons from a young age. You won't find an instructor in all of England that promotes not warm up strokes. You asking me to explain why my previous points couldn't be achieved without using warm up strokes makes you come across a bit dense. Either that or you're upto your usual tricks of trolling.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I didn't suggest pool and snooker were alike, but snooker players are regarded as some of the finest cueists because they all have lessons from a young age. You won't find an instructor in all of England that promotes not warm up strokes. You asking me to explain why my previous points couldn't be achieved without using warm up strokes makes you come across a bit dense. Either that or you're upto your usual tricks of trolling.

Thanks for the insults. I think everyone can see who is trolling here.

Sorry Larry.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several ways to shoot with no warmup strokes. Which hasn't been mentioned at all. One, is to just get down and shoot. I feel that way will not hold up. The other way, which I will do at times, is to make dead sure on your alignment and preshot routine, get down, and pause. During that pause, I am verifying I am on the correct line and mentally going through the exact speed I need for the placement of the cb after the shot. Also, adjusting for any english I may be applying.

Two totally different ways of doing it, with vastly different outcomes over time.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
There are several ways to shoot with no warmup strokes. Which hasn't been mentioned at all. One, is to just get down and shoot. I feel that way will not hold up. The other way, which I will do at times, is to make dead sure on your alignment and preshot routine, get down, and pause. During that pause, I am verifying I am on the correct line and mentally going through the exact speed I need for the placement of the cb after the shot. Also, adjusting for any english I may be applying.

Two totally different ways of doing it, with vastly different outcomes over time.

Good post.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I honestly thought we were all talking about the 2nd option, which is better than the 1st option.

I still agree with Pidge that you won't find any professional (in snooker or pool) that takes the 2nd option on the majority of their shots.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly thought we were all talking about the 2nd option, which is better than the 1st option.

I still agree with Pidge that you won't find any professional (in snooker or pool) that takes the 2nd option on the majority of their shots.

No, you won't. The most likely explanation for that is because of the way they learned. With constant instruction on proper fundamentals and pre-shot routine, one realizes that the warmup strokes really don't do anything but loosen up your arm. That is easily done before one even gets down on the shot if necessary.

The way the current pros learned was to get down as close to the "line" as possible, then adjust as needed to fine tune the shot. Nothing wrong with either way done correctly. But, I highly advise against not using warmup strokes in a match of consequence if you aren't very used to shooting that way.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching Shaw playing Earl right now. Jayson varies greatly in taking or not really taking warmup strokes. Often he he just gets down, takes a one inch waggle to verify aim, then pulls back and shoots. Sometimes doesn't even take the waggle. Other times takes several warmup strokes.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching Shaw playing Earl right now. Jayson varies greatly in taking or not really taking warmup strokes. Often he he just gets down, takes a one inch waggle to verify aim, then pulls back and shoots. Sometimes doesn't even take the waggle. Other times takes several warmup strokes.

I think we may be on the verge of arguing semantics here.

Whether you want to call them warm up strokes, waggles, feathers, to me it's all the same. When a player gets down on the shot and does any of those, then they aren't doing what the OP is talking about.

I think it's pretty well known that most of today's players take much smaller warm up strokes (or waggles) than those of the past, but it's still different than just getting down and pulling the trigger.