your thoughts on NO WARM UP STROKES

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought that it was quite easy to decelerate, as it is said to be caused by the tightening of the grip hand too early which appears to be a common problem. I am a follower of doing max 3 feathers as I think the more feathers you have the more opportunity for your body to move and more likely to make some adjustments. Peter Ebdon does handle it nicely, though. :O
Yeah I'm a believer that there is such a thing as too much feathering. 3 is plenty, but some players like to take an age when down ala Ebdon.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys ever watch John Morra play?

Dude takes like 20 (obvious exaggeration) warm up strokes.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I'm not getting it. I take avg. 5 practice strokes. The first 3 are not straight, 4th is pretty good, 5th is on. My back swing has nothing to do with fore swing speed. That decision was made while back. All these strokes are to get that tip where I want it. Not feeling the shot. That's already done too.

Side note:
I was once told by a National 3C Champion, if you find yourself out of stroke, try practicing without the practice strokes. I've never really given it much chance but I think he was saying, eliminate everything else including making shots, and concentrate only on this movement.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, the term no warmup stroke means no movement at all. Drop into position, set, and shoot.

The waggling and feathering you all are talking about are forms of warming up.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To me, the term no warmup stroke means no movement at all. Drop into position, set, and shoot.

The waggling and feathering you all are talking about are forms of warming up.
fran that was the intent of the thread to discuss
get down maybe adjust for aim and shoot

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best players in the world will not adjust when they've got down. Its purely an amateur thing. They get down already aimed where they need to, so any movements, no matter how small they seem are purely as Fran says, for warming up.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best players in the world will not adjust when they've got down. Its purely an amateur thing. They get down already aimed where they need to, so any movements, no matter how small they seem are purely as Fran says, for warming up.
Considering how accurately their bridge hand must be placed to make typical long shots, I doubt that they make no adjustment after getting down. It might be only moving the thumb half a mm, but I'm pretty sure they do make adjustments.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't consider an aim adjustment a warmup stroke.

But, with the drop and shoot method, the longer you stay down on the shot adjusting your aim, the less chance you have of making the shot because you are breaking the rhythm of drop and shoot process.

I wasn't kidding when I referred to the training of Tibetan monks. If you study their archery training, you will note that they raise the bow and shoot in one smooth motion. There's no aiming adjustment in the process.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a direct quote from a book by Clive Everton.

"When you are in the address position before the shot, take a number of rhythmical preliminary short strokes, which obviously should not touch the cue ball. These 'addresses' do the same job as 'waggles' of the club by a golfer, in that they serve to heighten your concentration and prepare you for the shot ahead. Often a beginner takes the cue back in short disjointed jerks, or pulls the cue back far too much. In fact, the cue should be brought back smoothly and at an even pace. Then it should be held at the top of the backswing for a fraction of a second before coming forward, striking through the cue ball for a few inches (the follow-through), prior to stopping in the same groove."

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
It's all about feel
One in a bazillion can play with any success without pre-lim strokes. You may as well take a running start on every shot. You could enter the Olympics in the Javelin Event.

When standing over the shot its best to feel the stroke while analyzing.
When you drop in you are at a different view point, its best to fine tune the aim, feel the stroke, the weight of the cue, no matter how you do it, it is yours and yours only, your style, your feel.

It's about the feel, the flow, the rhythm and timing. It all aids in a smooth delivery

One stroke, or no stroke, is good for one thing, when teaching or learning how to fall into the proper stance and alignment.