PA/MD pool players: RIP Fred McCann

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

Its my regret to inform you that on June 8, 2020, the pool world lost a great man and an asset to the game, Fred McCann.

Fred was a top caliber straight pool and one pocket player and instructor. He was a good friend of legendary player Jimmy Fusco, who also passed away recently. Fred lived in Philadelphia in the 70's and 80's and was a regular at Tacony Billiards and The Boulevard Billiard Club. Allen Hopkins once said that in his prime, Fred could have played with anyone in the world. Fred had been giving pool instruction at his home in Dillsburg, PA for the past 25 years.

Fred was a great friend and an even better person. He was a class act, honorable, and cared deeply about his friends and family. He was the sole, extremely dedicated caretaker of his mother through a very difficult 10 year battle with Alzheimers, and he loved his dog Figgy like she was like his own child.

I am going to miss Stedy Fred. He taught me a lot. I hope he is resting easy.

Here is Fred's obituary:

https://sullivanfuneralservices.com/obituaries/frederick-mccann

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ian,

Sorry to hear about Fred. I met him only once at a Friday night tournament at a room in Harrisburg named Strawberry Square. He was quite the character. He loved to talk about Jimmy Fusco and his own love for playing one pocket. He felt his key to success was his ability to take care of the "onion". At the time he was playing with a Szamboti that had the butt sleeve really dinged up. I asked him about it and he said it was from playing in his basement and banging it into a pole near the table.

May he rest in peace.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shocking news and I’m sorry for your loss, as well as for Fred’s surviving family and friends. I just spoke with Fred less than 2 weeks ago over the phone, and he never mentioned having any serious health issues. Fred rarely posted on this forum, but he absolutely loved the game and this forum, and he read and kept up with virtually all the threads of interest to him, for many years.

I got to know Fred from the frequent phone calls he’s made to me over the past 15+ years, usually later at night when he knew I was here at the pool room but not busy. He just wanted to discuss his thoughts with someone else like myself who shares a passion for the game, Usually regarding a current thread on this forum, as I don’t think Fred was interested in getting involved in posting or replying to a post on the forum.

It was clear that at one time Fred was a high level player and he was very knowledgeable of all the top players in the Philly area over the past 50 years.

RIP Fred - you will be missed by all of us who you touched.