Brunswick Superspeed Cushions

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a little over 3 years I played on a GCIV that had sub - rails extended by Jerimy Chambers. I asked him to Diamondize it. He said he knew how to do that. I joined AZ 4 years ago. Early on I wasn't a big fan of RKC. It wasn't because I thought I was a know - it - all. It was more naïveté on my part.

I kept listening to him though. Much of what I know now about pool tables I learned from reading his posts. Some others helped. ( "I to be Rich" wrote me a long, helpful p.m.once) Anyhow; the only reason I asked Jerimy to Diamondize my GCIV was because I read RKC talking about the fine tables he (RKC) produced with the process.

So Jerimy told me he wanted to put either Superspeeds or whatever the Artemis cushions are called that are installed on Diamonds (I'm not entirely sure....I think that means Artemis 66 intercontinentals) Jerimy told me there's only one difference between the 2 cushions.....The Artemis cushions have a SLIGHT more spring to them. That's all. I chose the Artemis.

When I make a 3 rail kick, I don't plan where I want the ball to hit on the 2nd and 3rd rail. I'll pick out a place ( sometimes any place) where I know I'd come up short with a center - ball hit. I then apply what I just FEEL is the appropriate spin needed to get the ball to the destination. It's all feel and experience. I look at the object ball I want to hit, I pick a place on the first rail I want to hit, and I pay little attention to the 2nd and 3rd rail.

I'm pretty successful at this. I don't know. Maybe everyone does it this way. All I know is I've never.....EVER felt cheated by those Artemis cushions on my GCIV (now "Jazzboxblues" table. I sold it to him.) The spring is perfect. They're consistent all around. Maybe they're shorter or longer than Superspeeds. I don't know. All I know is that my kicking and banking has improved tremendously over the last 3 years. If the Artemis cushions are longer or shorter than other cushions. I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to adjust in little time

......I'm a little confused with this thread. Let's give RKC credit where credit is due though. He certainly, with his AZ posting, contributed to my attaining a fine GCIV and finding a fine mechanic to work on it. Now that table belongs to another AZ member. RKC should feel good about that!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If I really played pool? LOL
Dude you need to stop talking out of the side of your face.

Sorry but they all make "good" pool cushions regardless of your opinion.
Furthermore, without any proof of your claims, its just a bunch of hot air.

"I'm the great and powerful Glen and nobody knows more about rubber than ME!
...Or rails!
..Or tables!
...Or cloth!
I am The Glen and you are all IDIOTS ! "

Please show us the results of your durometer tests Glen.
(ANY durometer testing you have done to Brunswick, Artemis or Klematch cushions)
Show us the video(s) of identical tables set up with different cushions for testing.
Show us the ramp you've built for launching balls into various cushions at the exact same speed and angle.
Show us the chemical makeup comparison of each cushion and their % of gum rubber + additives.

After you do, then we can have a serious conversation about cushions.

Ok, in your own words, why do you think superspeed, artemis, and klematch cushions all play the same on a pool table. Why don't the best billiards tables in the world install superspeed cushions? What's the MAIN difference between 3C rail rubber and pool rubber? Nows your chance to shin....or sink like a rock, because i know the answers....do you?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

...Or rails!
..Or tables!
...Or cloth!

(ANY durometer testing you have done to Brunswick, Artemis or Klematch cushions)
Show us the video(s) of identical tables set up with different cushions for testing.
Show us the ramp you've built for launching balls into various cushions at the exact same speed and angle.
Show us the chemical makeup comparison of each cushion and their % of gum rubber + additives.

You want to challenge my billiards knowledge about the difference in cushions, you'd better get way past the 2nd grade buddy, because we're talking college level shit right here, not no grade school bs!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

...Or rails!
..Or tables!
...Or cloth!

Durometer test....rotflmao....i did better than that, i installed a set of klematch P59 K55 profile cushions on a Diamond 9ft Professional at the Bank Shot Billiards in Louisville, KY. That's where Greg Sullivan play pool, and a few HOF bank pool players play out of there as well. Only took 2 weeks to get the orders to take the cushions off and replace them with the Artemis intercontinental K55 cushions because the Klematch P59 K55 profile cushions were.NOT accepted with open arms by the bank pool players....now, i wonder why that is, funny thing was....i told Greg beforhand that the cushions wouldn'tbe acceptable by the bank pool players because they'd have to give up making certain banks....guess who was right? Didn't need a durometer gage to tell me that answer!!!

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
You want to challenge my billiards knowledge about the difference in cushions, you'd better get way past the 2nd grade buddy, because we're talking college level shit right here, not no grade school bs!

Just show us your test results Glen.
Then you can sit at the grown up table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just show us your test results Glen.
Then you can sit at the grown up table.

Don't need to waste my time with tests to prove anything to someone like you, stop being lazy wanting me to provide you with the answers, do your own testing....if you're smart enought to that is.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Superspeed are good cushions for any table, provided the rails have been properly modified to accept them.

The same can safely be said about Artemis and Klematch as well.

Where's your proof to back up YOUR statement claiming Klematch cushions are just as good as superspeed cushions on a pool table? So, Superspeed cushions can be installed on an Olhausen pool table? Tell me, what modifications would need to be done in order to pull that off?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't need to waste my time with tests to prove anything to someone like you, stop being lazy wanting me to provide you with the answers, do your own testing....if you're smart enought to that is.

You don't need to prove anything to me lol, we've already done several rounds of testing on all the major brands of cushions. I have all the answers I need and then some.

It's all the rest of these people that you constantly insult and preach to that deserve factual information instead of your opinionated rants. That is if you expect anyone to actually listen to anything you say.

I know you're good at what you do Glen, but don't expect people to listen to you "just because".

You said this is "college level" stuff, so please, explain to us some college level stuff instead of ....." I know a bunch of people who didn't like them".

You could start by explaining ANY factual data you have on ANY cushion.
Try something easy like explaining the difference in their molding techniques or rubber formulas. Which cushions have more air bubbles? Why do some use canvas backing while others don't? Anything Glen, except your opinion. Is that even possible?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You don't need to prove anything to me lol, we've already done several rounds of testing on all the major brands of cushions. I have all the answers I need and then some.

It's all the rest of these people that you constantly insult and preach to that deserve factual information instead of your opinionated rants. That is if you expect anyone to actually listen to anything you say.

I know you're good at what you do Glen, but don't expect people to listen to you "just because".

You said this is "college level" stuff, so please, explain to us some college level stuff instead of ....." I know a bunch of people who didn't like them".

You could start by explaining ANY factual data you have on ANY cushion.
Try something easy like explaining the difference in their molding techniques or rubber formulas. Which cushions have more air bubbles? Why do some use canvas backing while others don't? Anything Glen, except your opinion. Is that even possible?

You sound like Fred Cohen with Championsip....LOL ever heard his explaination as to why Championship 3030 is better than Simonis, he can spit out all the technical information about how cloth is made and why it's better and in HIS opinion plays better....the whole 9 yards, like you think you can when talking about cushions....but, no matter what Fred says, anyone that can actually play pool, knows Simonis cloth just plays better in the end, its smoother to the feel, don't speed up like an ice skating rink when worn, like 3030 does, and overall, is more consistent.

Now aside from the BS you want to claim you know so much about when it comes to cushions....this is a direct question to you. What are the difference in the PLAYING characteristics between Klematch P59 K55 profile cushions when compared to the playing characteristics of the Brunswick Superspeed cushions that are also of the K55 profile? What is the difference in the cushion playing characteristics between Brunswick super speed and Artemis cushions? I'm NOT asking for your BS sales pitch, I'm asking you to explain to the pool playing community what they can expect from the difference in these 3 cushions when it comes to playability, how will they react when trying to shorten up a bank shot, how about the difference in banking hard vs soft?

Now explain yourself seeings how you want to jump on me and tell me i don't know what I'm talking about....because YOU know about the mould vs extrusion methods of making cushions, and the canvas moulded dampening cloth inlaid in the rubber, and air bubbles, and all the rest of the BS you want to throw out......JUST EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN HOW THEY PLAY!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Mr. Bond, if that last post is to challenging for you then maybe you can explain WHY when compared to Superspeed cushions, when shooting the cue ball directly down the middle of the table, using 9 or 3 o'clock spin, Artemis cushions will rebound the cue ball at a wider angle when coming off the end rail, and the Klematch cushions will rebound with LESS angle, with the same speed....when compared to the Brunswick Superspeed cushions????

PLEASE EXPLAIN....IF YOU CAN? Because i don't like the idea of changing the way pool tables play just to fit a product for sales revenues, and expecting all the players having to adapt their game to the difference in playability, improving pool is not the same thing as CHANGING POOL!

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Why do I need to remind everyone that the idea behind a forum like this is the "friendly sharing of information". No one is going to be crowned as the king of the forum here.

Be nice, or find someplace else to "share information".

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why do I need to remind everyone that the idea behind a forum like this is the "friendly sharing of information". No one is going to be crowned as the king of the forum here.

Be nice, or find someplace else to "share information".

I couldn't agree more. If MR. Bond feels like i don't know shit about shit, he should share the information he has to support that claim!....or stop acting like he knows something about working on pool tables, then putting out faults information to the public!

This kind of actions towards me is childish and uncalled for, if he has the proof to show where I'm wrong about what i stated about the cushions, he should have just posted his results. Actions like this seem to always come from people that don't agree what what I've posted, but just can't seem to back up their claims with proof, so everyones just suppose to take their word for what ever they say. And to further prove the point, why in the world would anyone claim Superspeed cushions can be installed on any pool table....unless of course they have no idea what they're talking about, because that's just more wrong information being feed to the public, we have enough of that going around already, don't need more of it from him!!

...Or rails!
..Or tables!
...Or cloth!
I am The Glen and you are all IDIOTS ! ".

Last edited:

playonepocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...when shooting the cue ball directly down the middle of the table, using 9 or 3 o'clock spin, Artemis cushions will rebound the cue ball at a wider angle when coming off the end rail...when compared to the Brunswick Superspeed cushions????

I'll take a shot - does it have to do with the larger rounded nose surface? More of the cushion contacts more of the ball...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'll take a shot - does it have to do with the larger rounded nose surface? More of the cushion contacts more of the ball...

Yes, the more the cue ball can grip the cushion, the more friction. The rounded nose of the Artemis cushions have more ball contact than the superspeed cushions have, therefore can create more angles when spinning off the cushions. Which is one of the reasons they play different than pool cushions normally do, so that requires adnusting your cue ball control to compensate.

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glenn what cushions would you suggest if someone was restoring a Brunswick Anniversary or Gold Crown table? Thanks

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally....

Glenn what cushions would you suggest if someone was restoring a Brunswick Anniversary or Gold Crown table? Thanks

So finally, after over100 posts, someone asks the $64 question.....and receives a simple straightforward answer.
Hmm.
Strange.

Robin Snyder

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen: Did something change and you like SS now? It seems like every GC you put pictures of new cushions on here for the past 10 years you either put Artemis cushions or the diamond black ones

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen: Did something change and you like SS now? It seems like every GC you put pictures of new cushions on here for the past 10 years you either put Artemis cushions or the diamond black ones

I've never installed diamond black on a 9ft, Artemis installed was atn customer request, personal feelings are super speed Brunswick Artemis diamond 9ft

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
I've never installed diamond black on a 9ft, Artemis installed was atn customer request, personal feelings are super speed Brunswick Artemis diamond 9ft

I'm having Jack Zimmerman doing rail extensions on my Gold Crown 1 and hes using superspeed cushions. I told him do them to Diamonds specifications.